MIM Parts?

PDA

steelyblue
November 18, 2007, 07:35 PM
I'm learning about mim parts by reading these threads. If I wanted to slowly replace my mim parts in my eclipse, what are the best parts to get and what parts are the most important to replace? This is my dream gun and I want it to be all it can be.

If you enjoyed reading about "MIM Parts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JDGray
November 18, 2007, 09:20 PM
The only mim part I ever seen fail, was the thumb safety on my buddies Kimber. I'd just shoot it till (if)it breaks, and worry about it then.:)

MICHAEL T
November 18, 2007, 09:52 PM
On a Kimber Eclipse That will be many I would just wait and see what if any break. Will likely happen in first 1000 rounds or not at all. I am not replacing any on mine till something breaks. Its not a carry gun so I not worried. My trouble has been mags not worth a hoot.

M2 Carbine
November 18, 2007, 10:36 PM
The only MIM part I've had break on my Kimbers (5) was a internal extractor.
It's been some years ago but as I recall I didn't know the extractor was broken until I checked to see why the last fired cases were laying on top of the magazine follower.

I called Kimber and they quickly got one to me (of course at no charge).

My Kimbers are my primary carry guns. Personally I see no reason to be concerned.

redneckrepairs
November 18, 2007, 10:54 PM
Mim parts imho are a tempest in a teapot. I like many prefer more traditional forming of parts , but honestly cannot cite a reason for it based on experience . IMHO its akin to hydrogen embrittlement on a nickle finished or refinished gun , Can it be a problem if improperly done yes , is it going to be a problem with any reputable firm NO , or at least no more so than parts made by other methods .

steelyblue
November 18, 2007, 11:19 PM
If you guys opinions are correct then why all the comments about Kimber using mim components? Reading these posts have made me feel like I've been shooting duds. I've seen a lot of Kimber bashing and I want mine to last. Is there validity to all the critisism of Kimber using mim parts?

Powder_Burn
November 18, 2007, 11:49 PM
I had a MIM safety crack off of my Custom CDP. Check out Brownell's or Wilson Combat if you want to perform a MIM-ectomy using machined parts - they can guide you on where to prioritize.

redneckrepairs
November 18, 2007, 11:56 PM
Steely once uppon a time mim parts were substandard by far and had a lot of breakage . Nowdays they are considered substandard by many , but honestly show a failure rate in line with parts made by other methods . Remember your on the internet where everyone has an opinion , and many are based on snobbery or lack of info . Like i stated i prefer conventional parts , but would stake my life on kimber mim parts just fine . Its just one of them things a fella can point to and say my gun is better than yours , the same as kids in a schoolyard say my dad can beat up yours . Just ask them to show you the mythical pile of broken mim parts to back up the claims . I dont have a kimber , but my choice is not based on mim or nonmim parts .

redneckrepairs
November 19, 2007, 12:06 AM
Steely once uppon a time mim parts were substandard by far and had a lot of breakage . Nowdays they are considered substandard by many , but honestly show a failure rate in line with parts made by other methods . Remember your on the internet where everyone has an opinion , and many are based on snobbery or lack of info . Like i stated i prefer conventional parts , but would stake my life on kimber mim parts just fine . Its just one of them things a fella can point to and say my gun is better than yours , the same as kids in a schoolyard say my dad can beat up yours . Just ask them to show you the mythical pile of broken mim parts to back up the claims . I dont currently have a kimber , but my choice is not based on mim or nonmim parts .

dmftoy1
November 19, 2007, 06:53 AM
Amen +1

Remember when Glocks where only going to last 500-1000 round before they'd fail because of their crappy polymer frames? I remember reading that OVER and OVER and OVER . .of course that was before the internet so you read it in the gun rags instead of online.

If you're driving a Ford or Chevy diesel pickup or a Corvette your connecting rods are MIM. Do a stress analysis on a connecting rod vs any part in your Kimber and I think you'll see what I mean.

Kimber bashing seems to be pretty common . .especially in this forum. I figure it helps keep the prices down on the used ones so I don't really mind it. :) I picked up a nice Series 1 that looked like it had hardly been shot 2 years ago for $500 from a guy who felt like he owned a POS.

Have a good one,
Dave

schmeky
November 19, 2007, 11:51 AM
Virtually everyone is using MIM, Colt, S&W, Ruger has for many years. I have an early model Kimber Classic Custom. I was told by many how inferior my Kimber was since it had MIM parts.

That was over 15 years ago, and I still have the same MIM parts in this Kimber. If you listen to everyone, you won't know which direction to go.

Go the the 1911 forum, there's a picture of a new Colt XSE with a broken manual safety. I agree with most everyone else, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thaddeus Jones
November 19, 2007, 12:23 PM
While my preference is for barstock parts, I realize that manufacturers need to reduce costs/stay competitive.

In my 30 some odd years of handgunning, I've only had one MIM part fail. It was the thumb safety on a Kimber Stainless Target II. That particular pistol was nothing but headaches and trouble, so I chalked it up to Kimber QC/QA, and moved on.

I'm sure there are MIM parts in most of the handguns in my meager collection, probably some that I'm not even aware of. I am not worrying about it.

I agree with the member who posted that it's an issue over-blown by the internet. MIM is not a deal breaker on a gun purchase, for me.

Now an internal lock, thats a deal breaker! :) TJ

LAR-15
November 19, 2007, 12:43 PM
So what would make a MIM thumb safety more prone to breakage than a machined one?

Thaddeus Jones
November 19, 2007, 01:12 PM
LAR-15,

Voids, or air pockets if you will, left inside the MIM part, during the MIM process is my understanding.

My broken thumb safety resembled the cheap "pot metal" of the cap guns I owned as a child. In fairness to MIM parts, I replaced it with another MIM thumb safety, which is still functional.

FWIW, the barstock thumb safeties of my Colt 1911's, are still functioning flawlessly. They are barstock, and to date, in MY experience, appear to be less prone to breakage. ;) TJ

LAR-15
November 19, 2007, 05:23 PM
Thank you for the explanation

If you enjoyed reading about "MIM Parts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!