Big Boomer
November 18, 2007, 10:52 PM
What to buy first off its going to be Springfield vs Smith & Wesson

So first off the Loaded 5 1911-A1 from Springer

Sportsman's warehouse for $829 or $799 can't remember one of the two

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=3

or one of these S&W models...

The pretty one!

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&langId=-1&productId=49913&tabselected=tech&isFirearm=Y&parent_category_rn=15709

#2 Functional with laser grips (saves like $100 from buying them aftermarket) note this is at sportsman warehouse for $999

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14718&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15709&isFirearm=Y

#3 same as before but without the laser grips can get it for $799

So which is it fellas?

Give me your pro's/con's experiences if you own one?

Oh yes, forgot to mention it will be another carry gun.

I did notice GunBroker.com had them quite a bit cheaper...

If you enjoyed reading about "New 1911 purchase help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BikerRN
November 19, 2007, 01:23 AM
I've had three Springfield's in the past. I've never owned a S&W 1911.

My Springfields were great and I'll be buying another one next year. Mr. Browning designed the 1911 with an Internal Extractor. The S&W has an External Extractor, needless to say, I will not be owning a S&W 1911.

If you want to look at something besides a Springfield take a close look at Kimber. S&W makes good revolvers but I don't even think of them when it comes to 1911's. To me they are too new to even think about. That's my $0.02 on the matter.

Biker

XavierBreath
November 19, 2007, 01:44 AM
My experience with laser gripped 1911s is not good. I bought a SW1911 with laser grips and sold off the grips. When I indexed my trigger finger alongside the frame in aimin the pistol (as one would do when holding the laser on a threat) my finger obscured the laser, making it worthless. You can read the range report here (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/06/sw1911-with-laser-range-report.html).

For a NIB carry gun similar to your choices, I would go with the SW1911PD (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14722&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15709&isFirearm=Y) in a Commander (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14719&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15709&isFirearm=Y) length. Here's a range report on the SW1911PD in the Government size. (http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/04/sw1911pd-range-report.html)

Nothing wrong with the Springfield Loaded, it's a good gun, but I found the scandium frame to be a decided advantage to carry and shooting.

robctwo
November 19, 2007, 01:46 AM
I bought the SA Black Stainless Loaded with the target sights. Not for carry for me, planned as a range/game gun. My trigger was every bit the 6 pounds advertised. My extractor broke within the first few hundred rounds. Good customer service, but irritating to have to send in a new gun. I did my own trigger job and made some other changes with Ed Brown parts. Much better trigger. I use it for the .22 with my Ciener conversion all the time.

I bought a S&W1911PD Commander with CT laser grips. Much better trigger out of the box. Just as accurate. Lots lighter for carry with the alloy frame and shorter slide. Not as much fun to put 4-500 rounds through in one range session because it's lighter. More fun to carry for the same reason. My only issue with that gun has been the cases hitting my forehead. A little filing on the ejector solved that.

WOODROW
November 19, 2007, 01:09 PM
I just bought a Springfield 5''custom loaded parkerized model at www.rrarms.co. for 699.73 plus s&h. I think the total was right at $725.00 or so. They also had the S&W 1911 for around $760. I have never dealt with the S&W 1911, sorry I can't help you there. GOOD LUCK.

MICHAEL T
November 19, 2007, 06:32 PM
1st Get a Colt Then learn to shoot with out the silly lasor. Its really not needed

Hunter0924
November 19, 2007, 07:01 PM
I agree with Michael, look into what Colt has to offer by way of the Government Model. Well built American pistols with quality materials.

sniper350
November 19, 2007, 07:12 PM
The 1911 is an awsome platform ....but it does require some knowledge of how the pistol works to keep it functioning near 100%. Sometimes novice owners don't have this know how ......... and are stumped with a gun that jams right out of the box. Simple adjustments to the extractor tension or a different magazine will usually solve many problems ......but if you don't know what you are looking at ......it can mean a trip back to the manufacturer for something simple.

S&W customer service is world renoun .......... they will fix any of their guns until the owner is satisfied - lifetime warranty is worth quite a bit in my book.

JF.

10-Ring
November 19, 2007, 07:52 PM
Between your 2 choices, I prefer the Springers.

Big Boomer
November 19, 2007, 10:50 PM
alright, y'all are helping but not much! LOL

Also for what it is worth I know A LOT about 1911's not an expert but enough that I have replaced just about every part in my 1st one.

I already own a colt 1911 it's a Gold Cup Mark IV NM. I have tons of parts for the 1911 as well.

Although I do love it, it has the target sights, it was my first carry gun back before I knew what a carry gun should be.

I also own an XD-45 that is my primary carry now. The thing is I have a bajillion holsters, mags, mag carriers etc for the 1911 non-rail type.

I can shoot them all quite well, albeit my 1911 a bit better than my XD but I've decided that I will not buy another tupperware gun. I just don't see them going up in value at all. Also besides being double stack, the frame is thicker. I like the looks of my 1911 better, just a classic and I have never had any one compliment me on how my XD looks.

I know its not about the looks, but hell if you have a choice why not!? So it's really about warranty and quality. I want to stay under $1200 with tax. Preferably in the under $1k range.

I did hold one with the laser, and yes my trigger finger did block the laser, but there is a reason I was considering it and it was not to rely on it but if I needed to shoot with my left hand. I unlike my father am not ambidextrous. I can't hit the broadside of a barn with my left hand. A laser would greatly help that. An in addition, being the index finger on the left hand doesn't cover it.

I am unfamiliar with the external ejector on the smith's and their reliability. I have a smith and have used their customer service, had a frame replaced. They also paid for shipping both ways. I was impressed, although I am having another issue, but that is for another time.

I haven't had any issues with my current springer. Not a hiccup, no nodda. I have already bought all (most) of the revolvers I want for a while, the majority of my collection is revolvers. I'm a big bore type of guy.

It is also important that I did not mention a bit ago is that the FRAME MUST BE STEEL! I cannot use the aluminum frames. I am not sure about the new scandium stuff. I will most likely convert this to a 45 Super is the reason.

I have thought about many different auto's but keep coming back to the 1911. Has anyone had any issues with Springfield's customer service?

I had looked at a waaay overpriced Loaded 5 ss model by Springer at Gander Mountain and had seen like 1/64 inch tooling marks on the feed ramp and barrel mouth! I was rather shocked. I had seen another one that did not have that issue at all, not that it's not fixable, but please it shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Currently I am leaning toward the Champion Loaded by Springer unless someone can give me a good reason to go with the Smith. I do like the Colt's don't get me wrong. I just haven't found any in the price range that has a decent carry configuration that I like. If there is then direct me to it.

I forgot to mention that requirement's also include commander length, gotta have that full 5"!

I appreciate the help, I'm just looking for reason's to lean one way or the other.

cedjunior
November 20, 2007, 07:15 PM
Some people on here remind me of my grandmother ranting about how "she'll die before she ever gets a computer and emails anyone, since a phonecall works just fine" with their comments about how any 1911 that deviates ever so slightly from JMB's design or isn't a Colt, isn't a real 1911. Comments stating such don't really help out the OP one way or another, just seem like a declaration of one's stubbornness to accept changes.

From what I've heard, customer service at both companies is pretty good. Also from what I've heard performance is pretty much comparable between the 2 as well. The S&W does have that firing pin safety block that people are always complaining about. I've read it can be removed though, without any subsequent mods to make the gun function properly. They're pretty similar guns at basically the same price point, so it might just come down to cosmetics for you.

If you enjoyed reading about "New 1911 purchase help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!