What do you think about HK VP70

PDA

hall
November 19, 2007, 12:36 AM
The last weekend i bougth a VP70 Hk in the gunshow of Pasadena Tx and i don't know nothing about this gun? thanks:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you think about HK VP70" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
takhtakaal
November 19, 2007, 12:41 AM
Great for a collection, very whiz-bang for its time, but I've heard that the trigger was absolutely horrible.

Deer Hunter
November 19, 2007, 12:44 AM
Isn't that the one with the "squeeze-cock"?

Never understood the rave over it.

lloydkristmas
November 19, 2007, 12:45 AM
squeeze cocking was the P7 series....the popularity comes from the fact that they are excellent carry guns, and probably one of the most accurate 9mm's you can get

10-Ring
November 19, 2007, 12:45 AM
Nice collector piece for the HK fan. As mentioned, the trigger can be looooooong, mags are tough to find and they seem more collector piece than shooter. I prefer the P9S in 45 acp myself :D

wideym
November 19, 2007, 02:05 AM
I had a VP70 several years ago and have only seen two for sale since. Gave $300 for mine in 99'. Like new in the box with one spare mag.

I was impress by the way it handled and the 18 round mag was nice, but I disliked the sights and spare mags are nearly impossible to find. Also I never found an acceptable holster for carry.

Even so I still regret selling it. Of the two I've seen for sale, one had broken firing pin or spring(wouldn't reliably fire) and the other looked like it was hidden in a toilet tank.

bwavec
November 19, 2007, 04:12 AM
The VP 70 was the first polymer frame hand gun (yes it came before the Glock). I would look at it as more of an enthusiast/collector piece. But it still makes a nice reliable 9mm handgun.

For some more detailed info, and to possibly hook up with someone who has some experiences with it at the range, check the HKPro.com website and boards. You might even be able to find someone there who can steer you to some spare mags as well.

On a side note, it was the sidearm used by the Colonial Marines in the Aliens movie (dir James Cameron).

RedAlert
November 19, 2007, 05:26 AM
Wasn't the VP-70 capable of being fitted with forward folding hand grip that in certain models allowed auto 3 shot bursts?

EDIT:
I googled the gun and found out I was 1/2 right. It didn't use a folding forward hand grip, but was capable of firing auto 3 round bursts when the holster/stock was attached. Ala Broomstick.
RDF

PzGren
November 19, 2007, 05:56 AM
VP stands for Volkspistole, it's a simple, inexpensive gun that was designed to arm the soldiers in the motorpool. The trigger is detrimental to good shooting results but then, handgun shooting was never a strong point in the German military.

usp9
November 19, 2007, 08:59 AM
Here's some info;
http://www.hkpro.com/VP70.htm

video from above link;
http://www.hkpro.com/video/VP70Z-VP70M.mov

Storm
November 19, 2007, 09:00 AM
I had one and sold it. I still have nightmares about the trigger, that I need to shoot the bad guy and the trigger won't break.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you think about HK VP70" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!