9mm shot shell?

PDA

chadmi6
November 19, 2007, 08:44 PM
I just recently bought a xd 9mm and i see that there is shot shell ammo for it.......can anyone tell me what you would use this type of ammo for. how effective is the ammo and at what range. thanks again guys

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm shot shell?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PercyShelley
November 19, 2007, 08:46 PM
Sounds like frangible ammunition. Is it a plastic body containing shot? In that case it's primarily intended to reduce over penetration.

Bartkowski
November 19, 2007, 08:48 PM
Snakes or other small things you don't want. I have not used it but I have heard you get around 1' spread for each foot away from the muzzle. I have no idea if that is true or not, but you will probably not get very much better than that.

greenjeans
November 19, 2007, 08:50 PM
We use it for snakes and such. Very close range only (5 yards or so). The plastic capsule breaks up and in effect you have a 9mm shotgun with No. 12 shot.

Titan6
November 19, 2007, 08:50 PM
One of the most common uses for pistol caliber shot gun rounds is snake and varmint control. It can be shot quite safely at close range. It will not stop people effectively at all and will likely not penetrate even thin plywood unless you are within 2-3 feet of the board (and at risk for eye damage due to ricochet).

kd7nqb
November 19, 2007, 09:01 PM
I have shot CCI Shotshells out of my M&P .40 it did not work well because the shot shell did not have enough push to reliably cycle the slide. However my buddies XD .45 handled CCI Shotshells just fine. You should be able to find them at any sporting goods stores.

Fumbler
November 19, 2007, 09:46 PM
Like others have said, they're used for small varmint control.
The shot probably wouldn't even make it through a human's skin and fat layer.

For giggles, my girlfriend and I think it's funny to take cans of soda, shake them up, then shoot them with the shot shells. :)
Always clean up the empty cans of course...

Most semiautos will not cycle shot shells because they do not produce enough pressure/recoil.
That that reason and the underpenetration they would make the worst self defense ammo you can buy (unless you're defending yourself from mice and snakes).

Cmdr. Gravez0r
November 19, 2007, 10:05 PM
I remember reading in Magnum (South African gun magazine) about a Policeman who was hit point blank in the face with a shot shell by a totsi, presumably 9mm. Not only did it not kill him but it didn't even take him down. Did blind him in one eye though.

XLMiguel
November 19, 2007, 10:14 PM
As mentioned, varmit control at close range, i.e. 10-15' max. .45 shot shells work a bit better, as they use #9 shot. #12 is a bit bigger than sand.

Grizfire
November 19, 2007, 10:53 PM
I killed a grouse with that stuff once...good eats! BTW it cycles fine in my 1911

XD Fan
November 19, 2007, 11:04 PM
Read a very informative article in American Handgunner a few months ago. I think it was by Mike Venturino. Can't remember what month, but you might try their website.

R.W.Dale
November 19, 2007, 11:59 PM
REAL 9mm shotshells

http://www.ammo-one.com/9MM-SHOTGUN-SHELL.html

http://www.municion.org/semi/9.htm

http://www.municion.org/8anular/8anular.htm

Slugless
November 20, 2007, 12:10 AM
Dunno about an automatic. Works good in .38

Other posters have mentioned 5 yards or 10 - 15 ft. For a sure kill I'd much rather be 10 ft than 15 ft. Or even closer.

We patterned a cylinder full of CCI shells. Laid targets on the ground and shot them at different distances. We placed an ersatz snake on the target and after about 10 ft you couldn't guarantee a hit. At 6 or 8 ft it's a sure thing.

That was a 4" barrel S&W M66. YMMV, anyone who wants to use them should test 'em out.

DPris
November 20, 2007, 01:30 AM
The Speer shot shells in various autopistol calibers work in some pistols and not in others. Some won't cycle, some won't feed, and some won't eject.
I had a Ruger 9mm P94 that would shoot them all day long, my Glock 17 chews up the shot capsules on feeding. My Colt 1911 .45 ACP won't eject empties reliably. My S&W 4516 .45 ACP works perfectly with them.
It's an individual thing, you have to try them in your own gun, but no matter what does work with them, they are a short range varmint proposition, as mentioned.
Don't make the mistake of thinking they're any good for protection against humans or large animals.
Denis

.cheese.
November 20, 2007, 01:46 AM
snakes, rats, mice, maybe other small animals.

It also is a great way to peel of paint if you want to redecorate.

**DO NOT TRY THE ABOVE! IT'S A JOKE!**

foghornl
November 20, 2007, 10:35 AM
I had used some of those CCI shotshells years ago in my .357 Blackhawk. Don't remember if they were .38Spl or .357Mag, not really important. They performed OK for dispatching creeply crawlies up close.

I did kill a mirror and a picture in my living room with one of those once, though....

Long story about nothin'...Lets just say that trying that Old West Cheesy Movie move of the fake butt-first hand over the gun, then quickly spin it up by the trigger guard for a snap shot is .......ahhhh not the smartest thing to do.

Lashlarue
November 20, 2007, 10:54 AM
The cci stuff, is pretty much useless, it has no powder in the case and is dependent on the primer as the driving force.I lost a battle with a rather agressive rat in my shed, using the cci 22 shotshells. I reload 44 mag shotshells with light loads of Unique.BB shot is quite effective, and you can actually fit 3 slightly flattened 00 buck in the standard plastic case, makes your six shooter an 18 shooter.

DPris
November 20, 2007, 11:25 AM
Not what I found in testing several calibers in several guns a while back, they most certainly did & do have powder in the case. :)
The only one I've actually used on a critter was a .22 Magnum version that put a sizable snake right down.
Denis

NORTEXED
November 20, 2007, 02:01 PM
I have some for my P-11 but haven't tried them yet. I made some 20 years ago for my Combat Commander by turning down some 06 cases and leaving an outside shoulder at .45 ACP case length that functioned the gun fine, and worked great for snakes at 8-10 feet. My latest loads are for my New Service in .45 Colt. .444 Marlin brass is real close case diameter, rim diameter, and rim thickness to the Colts. I trim them to cylinder length , use 5 gr. of Unique, with an over powder wad of heavy cardboard, fill with #9, overshot card and seal with fingernail polish. They put out an impressive pattern to about 16-18 feet. The round ball load in the pic has 2 .454 lead cap and ball balls in it, and print 3-4 inches apart at 25'.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/NORTEXED/P1010001.jpg

KBintheSLC
November 20, 2007, 03:13 PM
I doubt the shot shells would work well with an auto-loader. If you have a revolver and use them for varmint control, perhaps. But out of an XD, I doubt you will get past the first round. There is not enough counter resistance from the tiny shot load to cycle a slide... IMO.

1KPerDay
November 20, 2007, 03:50 PM
The round ball load in the pic has 2 .454 lead cap and ball balls in it, and print 3-4 inches apart at 25'.

That's a pretty cool idea. I like the .444 marlin shotshell too.

NORTEXED
November 20, 2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks, I mic the cylinder and trim the .444 to .010 short, they hold almost as much shot as a 2 3/4" .410 shell. The round balls are fun at the range, 1 cylinder full and you've got 12 holes in the target, makes the guy next to you do a double take. The trimmed 06 cases would function my Commander, I put a real light roll crimp in the end to aid functioning.

tekarra
November 20, 2007, 04:55 PM
I use 9 mm shotshells only in revolvers. They don't have much power and I heard of one guy have his semi auto jam when the plastic cap broke and the pellets lodged somewhere in the slide.

DPris
November 21, 2007, 02:14 PM
Again- depends on the pistol.
Had shot pellets all over the inside of my Glock, no problem whatever in emptying magazines with the Ruger.
Cycling problems with the Colt 1911 were related to empties catching in the port, which didn't happen with the Smith auto. I never had a failure to cycle the slide itself in any of the 9mm & .45 ACP autos I tested the stuff in.
Denis

JHansenAK47
November 21, 2007, 10:20 PM
http://www.impactguns.com/store/097719012004.html
These are better and break apart on impact instead of before.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm shot shell?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!