AMT Hardballer

PDA

Amd5007
November 20, 2007, 02:28 AM
I've been looking around for one of these for a while, so I want to know how good the really are. I'm aware of the various posts around that discuss them, but I just want to know a few things:

how far out of spec are they?-It often comes up that they aren't made to the standard 1911 specs so how far off are they?
I know that they have had many companies buy them out, so what about Galena Industries-did they make a good one?
Finally, does anyone know where I could find one?-I'm in PA.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "AMT Hardballer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bannockburn
November 20, 2007, 11:45 AM
Amd5007

A friend of mine had one, and I frequently was called upon to work on it, for various reasons. In terms of functioning, it was fairly reliable, but remember it's name, "Hardballer". That's about all it would work with, as anything other than 230 gr. FMJ just wasn't a good choice. Accuracy was decent, as well, with a good set of high visibility sights.
Now for the not so good news; it's difficult to describe the internal fit and finish, simply because there wasn't any. Every part inside the gun looked like it just came out of a parts bin and was dropped in the gun. No evidence of any hand fitting or polishing of any kind on any part. I remember breaking two mainsprings because the slot in the frame which held the mainspring tab was so poorly cut and finished, the tab would break off as soon as you tried to put the mainspring housing on. The barrel's feed ramp needed to be polished, it needed a trigger job, the sear and disconnector needed to polished and fitted properly, ad infinitum. If you're starting to get the idea that this gun required a lot of work to get it up to it's true potential, then you're starting to get the picture.
And that was the biggest problem if you were looking at an AMT product; that quality could vary so much from gun to gun, that you really had no idea if you were getting a good one or a really bad one. Add to that the fact that the company semed to always suffer from a severe undercapitalization problem; not to mention the frequent changes in company names, locations, and ownership. So it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to tell you at what time or what owner or what factory, they built the "good" ones or not. With the AMT Hardballer, it's most certainly a case of caveat emptor.

If you enjoyed reading about "AMT Hardballer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!