Walther P99

PDA

The Ruckus
November 20, 2007, 01:41 AM
I must ask why, why must Walther continue to butcher the appearance of the P99? It seems like they're trying their hardest to make it more appealing to women, or plinker's.... does anyone actually like the new looks? :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther P99" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CPshooter
November 20, 2007, 01:58 AM
I think the new ones (pic on right) look better than the older ones. I also think the 9mm P99 looks better than the .40 due to the front of the slide being thinner. That being said, I'm not too big of a fan of them myself...that's aesthetically speaking of course. Otherwise, they are great guns. They are ergonomic, high quality, reliable firearms...just don't float my boat. That's why I sold my P99 .40 A/S. Of course, like most of the guns I buy and sell soon after, I kind of regret getting rid of it because it really was a nice gun.

A.ENGIN IDEMEN
November 20, 2007, 04:11 AM
I am with you Ruckus.
The front of the trigger guard looks like Makarovs now on then.
The slide, the cocking serrations and the dust cover lost their Walther P5 like classic look.
The magazine catch lever is also another story.
The rail mania and competition style magazine change obsessions which do not matter most of the civilian shooters, kill the classic lines of the pistols.
Walther watched the LE market with the new design changes while ignoring that their most loyal customers are civilians who are always ready to pay a little bit more than the get the job done tools.
I used to own the older version in 9mm, it is one of the pistols that I do most regret selling, since it is impossible to get a NIB one. P99 entered get the job done league,too, unfortunately.
Regards.

andrewshogun
November 20, 2007, 04:44 AM
at a glance it's almost hi-point-ish looking. i'm really intrigued by it though...

R12GS
November 20, 2007, 05:26 AM
Not a fan of the P99 looks new or old. Too much effort to stylize makes them look cheap and gimmicky IMHO. Of course I've read they run like champs so looks aren't everything.

Shipwreck
November 20, 2007, 07:07 AM
Sorry - I too prefer the new frame. I like the way the slide looks on the newer style as well.

I liked the 2004 version at first. And, when they elongated the mag release in 2005, I remember that every complained about the looks. But to be honest - TRY the frame with the elongated mag release. After a while, U will prefer it. It's even more convienient.

I think mine looks pretty good:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/P99-11-3.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/P99-11-4.jpg

E5
November 20, 2007, 07:48 AM
Hold one. Fire one. You'll learn to love it. My p99 AS is the only .40 I own. I don't like the round, but I LOVE the gun. I'll always own it.

And I LOVE the polished slide Shipwreck. I need to look into that.

tbtrout
November 20, 2007, 07:57 AM
I like them. Have not fired one yet but they are very comfortable in my hand.

Shipwreck
November 20, 2007, 10:07 AM
And I LOVE the polished slide Shipwreck. I need to look into that.
Thanks, it is hard chrome. The decocker and extractor also is covered in a black polymer finish - it looks smoother than the rough, stock finish. My compact P99 has the same treatment:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/P99c-11-1.jpg

modifiedbrowning
November 20, 2007, 10:19 AM
The reason they changed the appearance is to accomodate a standard Picatinny rail. The rail on first style was a proprietary Walther rail with hardly any accessories available. The new style P99 has many more aftermarket possibilities.

That said, I prefer the look of the older style P99.

ozarkhillbilly
November 20, 2007, 11:49 PM
Of course I've read they run like champs so looks aren't everything.

That they do, it is not one of favorite looking guns but they shoot like a dream. Almost to the point of saying just point it in the general direction and you will hit what you want, well not quite, but it is accurate.

HM2PAC
November 21, 2007, 05:46 AM
I almost bought one a few years ago when they came out. The bump on the inside of the trigger guard changed my mind immediately upon picking it up. Now that it is gone I may reconsider it. I really wish they would chamber it for .45, does the S&W version have the changed trigger guard?

Shipwreck
November 21, 2007, 07:15 AM
No - S&W still has the ski bump.

They actually discontinued the SW99, but U can still find them new - just old stock. The SW990L is still being made, though...

I see 45 ACP SW99s being sold at gun shows all the time in Houston, though...

The Hound
November 21, 2007, 06:07 PM
I prefer the new look, and I have two of them.

I think they are one of the best "looking" guns out there.

But if I found one of the older styles for sale, I would buy it in a second.

fastbolt
November 21, 2007, 07:10 PM
Well, I'm probably in the distinct minority, but I've always considered just about everybody's polymer-framed service pistols to be a bit less "visually blessed", from a cosmetic perspective, compared to many metal-framed, traditional handguns.

Then again, it's never bothered me because I've never thought that service-type pistols really merited much consideration from the cosmetic perspective. They're intended to do a job, and the use of polymer/synthetic frames (and some other components) are generally the result of cost-cutting efforts. The advantage to be realized from reduced weight can be a decent benefit, as well, if only from an equipment-bearing consideration.

Lots of folks like to buy and own service-type firearms originally intended for common military/LE service weapon usage, though. I've always felt the same way about some earlier bolt and semiauto military rifles, myself, and I can understand the allure and pride-of-ownership thing.

Of course, I'm from the generation that remembers highly polished, lustrous deep bluing and highly polished, smooth nickel finishes on handguns, too.

Plastic frames and utilitarian heat treatment and flat finishes on metal surfaces is, well ... rather drab ... but certainly utilitarian and cost-effective from a production viewpoint.

Some folks like the resulting plain finishes and 'service drab' appearance of many service-type pistols, however, even if the results were mostly the consequence of cost-saving measures when competing in the lucrative military/LE world markets.

Personally, I don't worry about the 'appearance' of defensive handguns which serve me as off-duty weapons, since I only have to 'see' the rear of the slide sitting above the web of my hand, and the sights. ;) I pretty much only have to see the rest of the pistol while cleaning it, loading/unloading it, holstering/unholstering it or when storing it away in the safe.

Ragnar Danneskjold
November 21, 2007, 07:22 PM
I think the P99 old style is the best looking pistol ever made(though that may change with the HK P30) I personally own one of the newer styles, and it's a fantastic weapon. I do prefer the angled rail area of the older style, though you needed proprietary gadgetry to fit that rail. The new P99 standard Weaver rail doesn't look as great, but works with standard gadgetry. I guess it's a trade off. I DO like that the mag release lever is longer on the new style.

So yeah, the older style does look better than the new style, but they are still both on the top as far as good looking pistols go.

Autolycus
November 21, 2007, 07:27 PM
Cant really tell the difference as I am not a Walther afficionado.

denfoote
November 21, 2007, 07:41 PM
I'm quite satisfied with my original (date code KK)!!!!

http://usera.imagecave.com/denfoote/WaltherP99.jpg

OH25shooter
November 22, 2007, 09:59 AM
I'm very satisfied with my "older" version as well.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/OH25shooter/DSCN2677.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther P99" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!