Thinking about trading a 1911 for a Glock 19

PDA

Prince Yamato
November 20, 2007, 04:26 AM
I have a Springfield GI in basically brand new condition (box, manual, cleaning kit, trigger locks) that I definitely like the ergonomics of, but unfortunately, I do not like the .45 ACP round as much as I like the 9mm. Maybe it's the European sensibilities I inherited from my family. Anyhow, I've been thinking about getting a Glock 9mm for some time. I already have a metal frame 9mm (Beretta 92FS) and I've been itching to own a Glock. I'm perfectly comfortable with the trigger-safety only design.

I guess what I'm asking is: Am I totally nuts? It's not that I have a problem with the 1911 design, it's just I don't like the .45 ACP round in terms of feel and recoil (I'm sure it's a fine round, but I just don't enjoy shooting it). What say you THR members? Have I lost it? I shoot the .45 and I'm like, "eh, not liking this so much" I shoot a 9mm and I'm like, "Parabellum? Ecco! Para il principe!"

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking about trading a 1911 for a Glock 19" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
andrewshogun
November 20, 2007, 04:43 AM
retail value wise the two are pretty comparable, with the 1911 worth maybe 50-100 dollars more at most. so i'd say if you're really after a glock like how i was just recently, its worth the swap.

Rob96
November 20, 2007, 04:54 AM
I just recently traded my SA Mil-Spec that done up by the Custom Shop for a Glock 21SF.

JDGray
November 20, 2007, 05:34 AM
G19 is a great little gun, and with the price of ammo lately, you'll probably shoot it more than your GI. You should have no problem trading for a NIB G19:)

Jayb
November 20, 2007, 06:32 AM
I'm not a Glock fan, but I wish I had one just to trade to you.

Slugless
November 20, 2007, 08:53 AM
I already have a metal frame 9mm (Beretta 92FS)

There's something to be said for all-milled-steel construction. (Basis personal experience with my Taurus 92, your mileage will almost certainly be much better)

I didn't know how much I would like my Springfield 1911A1, didn't like shooting .45 years before. I've been impressed this time around.

If I hadn't been, the evil-Spock-alternate-universe me would trade that pistol for a Glock 17, no problem (ignoring any $ issue). In this universe my house is like a roach motel for guns.

rellascout
November 20, 2007, 09:01 AM
Put the springer down and back away.

Don't trade a 1911 for a glock. The 19 is a fine gun but it is no 1911.

I was not a 45 fan at first but once you fire it enough you realize that it more of a push then a flip everything else starts to feel right.

Check out this video and then go shoot it again before you trade.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4584332856867071363&q=handgun

Glockamania®
November 20, 2007, 12:18 PM
Great decision! I'm sure with the trade, you can definitely get some extras with the Glock since Glocks are fairly inexpensive

I'm perfectly comfortable with the trigger-safety only design.

There are two other safety features: Firing pin and Drop safety. You'll be very surprise with what the Glock will do for you.

Welcome to the club!

esq_stu
November 20, 2007, 12:23 PM
The Glock is easy to carry, easy to shoot, easy to maintain, cheap to shoot, and easy to keep reliable. I personally love 1911s, but find them needy. IMO, the 19 is probably the best of the Glocks. You won't go wrong. But it is still a personal choice.

NOOk
November 20, 2007, 12:29 PM
u=nuts for trading down to a 9mm

Hokkmike
November 20, 2007, 01:03 PM
Trading guns is often emotional, irrational, and often a money loser. But, in this case I am with you. 1911's are like Win. Model 94 lever actions in a handgun - proven technology, but from history.

The-Fly
November 20, 2007, 01:09 PM
Nothing wrong with a 9mm. Borrow a friend's glock, shoot it, and then decide.

Speaking solely for myself here, I never did like 45acp much until I shot a 5" XD. That brought me over to the dark side. 1911's just beat the hell out my hands.

GTSteve03
November 20, 2007, 01:35 PM
See if you can find an HK USP Compact in 9mm to try instead of the Glock. You get the same grip angle and cocked/locked ability of the 1911, but with a polymer-frame 9mm.

Besides, if you're going to trade away a 1911, at least get a gun with a little style! :p

Walkalong
November 20, 2007, 01:47 PM
1911 for a Glock. :(

h0ss
November 20, 2007, 02:06 PM
I have shot my dads 1911 in .45 acp and i own a glock 30 in .45 acp. I think you should try the .45 some more. Give it a little while longer. Especially if you actually paid the money to get a .45 and THEN found out you didnt like .45acp.

I have 2 9mm as well, a steel frame and a polymer frame, and i like both my 9mm's and my .45. Like someone else said, the .45 is more of a push in recoil than a flip. I also often shoot my 9mm and .45 at the same time at the range, and IMHO, the additional recoil when going from the 9mm to the .45 is not dramatic.

At least give it another try. Wait a couple of days and maybe put another 100 rounds through it. However, its your gun, and you know what you like/want.

AndyC
November 20, 2007, 02:17 PM
If you like the 1911 platform, have a look around for a 1911 in 9mm; if you like Glocks, get a Glock as well ;)

Snake Eyes
November 20, 2007, 02:28 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with trading a 1911 for a gluck--as long as you're ok with the idea of burning in Hell for all eternity.

No, really.

AndyC
November 20, 2007, 02:38 PM
--as long as you're ok with the idea of burning in Hell for all eternity.
I like this guy already :D

Prince Yamato
November 20, 2007, 10:51 PM
I had thought about the 1911 in 9mm, but since the pistol was not designed for that caliber initially, I kind of shied away from it. PLUS it only holds what, 11 rounds? I figure why get a gun that does what my Beretta will do, but holds less rounds and is SAO?

I was looking at HKs too, but they are hammer as opposed to striker-based. I kind of want to go with the striker based.

My whole beef with the .45 ACP round is that I just don't like how it feels. It's not that it's a bad round or anything. It doesn't hurt my hand and the recoil isn't unmanageable. It just doesn't feel as good as the 9mm. The thing is, I wouldn't get a Glock in .45 either.

The other thing, is I kind of want the Glock for its reliability. I do take very good care of my guns, but I like knowing that I don't have to clean them if I do not want to. I've been very impressed with the Glock torture tests I've seen.

W.E.G.
November 20, 2007, 11:00 PM
I bought a bunch of different 1911's before I finally swallowed the pill that I just don't like them, nor do I shoot them well. Meanwhile, the 1911 fan club keeps yelling that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Not for me.

I got rid of all of them (traded for Glocks), except one. I kept the Springfield. It's a pretty gun. It doesn't fit my hand well, my ability to shoot it as well as a Glock is miserable, and it still likes to throw spent shell casings off my forehead more often than I care to endure. I'll keep it to look at I reckon.

I respect the 1911's history. I have little use for it for my future.

Find a gun you shoot well. That's the key. If the Glock is that for you, then its the right gun for you.

19-3Ben
November 21, 2007, 12:06 AM
Burn The Witch!!!!

19-3Ben
November 21, 2007, 12:11 AM
I had thought about the 1911 in 9mm, but since the pistol was not designed for that caliber initially, I kind of shied away from it.

I may be mistaken, but actually i think it was originally based on a .38 round of some kind and then later modified when the Military specified a .45 caliber round for their pistol trials. Perhaps I'm just thinking about the .38 super, but honestly, 1911's have a great history of running 9mm/.355/.38 caliber rounds and I wouldn't be worried about it.

Big Boomer
November 21, 2007, 12:48 AM
First you must be taking some strong hallucinogen's because you are OUT OF YOUR FREAKING MIND!!!

I've never seen a glock (besides the class 3) appreciate in value over time. Most 1911's will. That 1911 will outlast you. The tupperware hasn't been around over 100 years. I own a tupperware but for the simple fact of appreciation I won't buy another. I consider them throw away guns. You can mod the hell out of them but they just don't have that "collector" value.

Ask yourself this, let's say your father passed away and you opened up a box that was left behind. Would you be happier finding 1. a 1911 2. a glock?

I think that pretty much sums it up. You will leave yours to your siblings (if you have any) someday as well.

If you want a glock go buy one. Don't trade off the old corvette for the new kia.

And well if you can't handle the .45 we all understand :neener:

jdc1244
November 21, 2007, 12:55 AM
Many of us shoot 1911s well, in that the platform works well for us. We also don’t have an issue with the .45ACP round and find it quite pleasant, price not withstanding – but that’s what guilty pleasures are for. My 1911s have been flawless. Also the 1911 is a beautiful gun from an aesthetic standpoint. Glocks…aren’t.

I have a 9mm I shoot when my allotment of .45 ammo is used up.

So I say keep the 1911, give it another chance, and buy the Glock if budget allows.

Logan5
November 21, 2007, 12:59 AM
There are a bajillion 1st gen LEO trade in G19's out there, lightly used, not selling for all that much. It's not a good trade for your 1911, even if you get a fair hunk of ammo thrown in.

kansas45
November 21, 2007, 01:08 AM
:neener: NUT'S :eek:

10-Ring
November 21, 2007, 01:34 AM
If the decision has been made & you're okay with it...then just move on & get acquainted w/ your G19...the G19 is the finest pistol in the Glock line up (IMO).
Trading away a 1911 for a Glock seems like a step backwards, but if you really don't like the caliber or the pistol, my advice would be to get the one you want & start training w/ your new pistol ASAP;)

Prince Yamato
November 21, 2007, 02:16 AM
I seriously doubt the Springfield GI will appreciate in value. I also have a .22LR Beretta 21 that I will see about trading as well. Basically 9mm is cheap enough that I can shoot it like .22 and deadly enough that I can use it in place of .45 acp, so it suits all my needs. I guess I bought the 1911 because everyone always says, "oh, you should get a 1911..." Now I'm like, "great" I have a mint condition 1911... As far as heirlooms... I think my Soviet pistols have more cool factor than a repro WW2 gun. Well, I'll head out to a couple gun shops tomorrow and see what I get for it.

FWIW, it's a nicely made gun and shoots fine, it's just the caliber that I don't like. We'll see, maybe I'll have a change of heart at the last minute. :)

RevolvingCylinder
November 21, 2007, 03:03 AM
I have a Springfield GI in basically brand new condition (box, manual, cleaning kit, trigger locks) that I definitely like the ergonomics of, but unfortunately, I do not like the .45 ACP round as much as I like the 9mm.
My solution is a Hi Power. You get the superb ergonomics and feel and a SA trigger with a pistol designed for the 9mm round. I can tell the Hi Power would fit you better and you would enjoy it more. If you can't afford it right away, wait until you can. It's better than putting money into something you won't get as much enjoyment out of.

Another excellent and less expensive choice is the CZ 75. It too has excellent ergonomics comparable to a Hi Power.

RON in PA
November 21, 2007, 04:48 AM
If you are not happy with the 1911 and the 45 ACP because you do not enjoy shooting it that's all the reason you need to get rid of it. You really don't need anybody else's opinion.

The only opinion I will express is in regard to the Glock19. Good gun, but there are other nines out there now that will give it a run for the money, especially the Smith and Wesson M&P. Make sure to do a comparison if possible.

pablo45
November 21, 2007, 05:33 AM
You sound like a very smart man! You should definately do it. I love all my Glock's!

Big Boomer
November 21, 2007, 11:07 AM
My inner child is crying! An orphaned 1911!

badgerw
November 21, 2007, 11:14 PM
I recently made the switch from a Kimber 3" 1911 in .45ACP to a Glock 19.

I did this after I discovered that I could make faster and more accurate hits with the Glock than I could with the 1911.

Did I make the right choice? I dunno.

I gave up carrying my 1911 at 4 o'clock in a Tucker "The Answer" holster. My intent was to carry the Glock at Appendix (2 o'clock) in a Tucker Cover-up. The Cover-up is on order with Tucker. I hope to get it by New Year.

In the mean time, I'm carrying my S&W 642 at Appendix in a Tucker Cover-up or a Colt Mustang Pocketlite in a Ken Null ankle holster.

Given my pudgy middle-aged body, I don't think the Glock will work at Appendix. OTOH, it works fine behind my hip. So I'm probably going to switch out the Cover-up for another Answer.

YMMV one hell of a lot.

Bill

eldon519
November 22, 2007, 12:10 AM
If you like the Glock principle, but prefer the 1911 ergonomics, have you looked at the Springfield XD 9mm service model? It's about the same size as the G19 and has a similar grip angle and feel to a 1911 while still having alot of the positives found on a Glock.

Also, have you ever tried 185-grain .45 ACP? It feels alot different to me than typical 230-grain hardball. .45 ACP is one of the few calibers most famous for its heaviest loading. 9mm generally makes its name with 115 or 124 grain bullets, not 147. 180 grain .40S&W is popular for winter carry, but generally people seem to talk about 155 or 165 grain loads with the go-fast crowd wild about the 135. .357 magnum is similar, lots of 125 or 158 users, not so many 180 grain people. That said, give 185-grain .45 ACP a try. It may feel much closer to what you're used to. Trying a box is probably cheaper than the cash generally lost making a trade. If you still don't like it, proceed with full confidence. It's about what you like.

ASM826
November 22, 2007, 12:34 AM
If I had a Glock 19, we would be trading. Both of us would come away happy. I have a Glock 21 (.45acp) it's ok. I really enjoy my 1911 much more, and choose to shoot single-stack in IDPA so I can shoot it more.
But diversity in all things, if a Glock 19 fits you, you shoot it well, and it's what you want, by all means, get it and shoot it. If it's really the 9mm round you like, I would shoot several guns chambered in 9mm before deciding which one to purchase. I think there are some interesting choices, the XD, the 92Fs, and the Hi-Power are all guns I would consider comparing with the Glock.
Let us know what you decide, I would be curious about your purchase and the reasons that tip you one way or another.

KC&97TA
November 22, 2007, 02:18 AM
Trade a 1911 for a G19... please PM me your name, address and phone number for your local Police Dept, because you are out of your mind and have to be on drugs to even consider such a thing.

I may be mistaken, but actually i think it was originally based on a .38 round of some kind and then later modified when the Military specified a .45 caliber round for their pistol trials. Perhaps I'm just thinking about the .38 super, but honestly, 1911's have a great history of running 9mm/.355/.38 caliber rounds and I wouldn't be worried about it.

You Sir are correct. It was originially chambered in .38 super, then onto .45acp. My 9mm Kimber Aegis has been 100%, it is still under 500 rounds, so time will tell. My Kimber TLE has run 100% after comeing back from the factory, my SA Mil-Spec Champion has been almost perfect... the wifes SA NRA Hard Ball is "definetly a womans gun"... I swear that thing has monthly cycles.

The recoil of .45acp isn't that bad, try some skateboard tape on the front strap of the pistol. Glock's feel "funny" after a 1911, maybe consider an XD-9, it feels like a fat 1911... I have an XD-40 that is a bed side gun, more so because it is the cheapest thing I have in the gun stable ;)

Prince Yamato
November 22, 2007, 03:13 AM
The recoil of .45acp isn't that bad,

I don't find the recoil unreasonable. I just don't like the feel of the round. It feels slow and heavy. If I had to give a description I would say that it feels like "9mm morbidly obese". I like the idea of the gun, but in practice, it just doesn't work for me like a 9mm will. I'm not opposed to a 9mm 1911, but then there's the whole Glock reliability factor. If Norinco 9mm 1911s were imported here than I'd take the plunge for $300. But no way in hell I'm going to drop $800-1000. Not that I have that to drop anyhow. :)

Autolycus
November 22, 2007, 03:22 AM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e134/JovanJ347/glockv1911.jpg

eldon519
November 22, 2007, 09:45 AM
You Sir are correct. It was originially chambered in .38 super, then onto .45acp.

I don't think that statement is accurate. It may have been chambered for a .38-caliber pistol round, but .38 Super wasn't introduced until the 1920s.

distra
November 22, 2007, 10:14 AM
Trade a 1911 for a Glock?!:eek: That's just...NUTS! :neener:

hostilecrab
November 22, 2007, 10:20 AM
IMHO...

Keep the 1911 in your safe and save up your money and get a G19 (new or used).

Cause when there comes a time and you have an inkling for the 1911, it will be right there in your safe !

HCrab

Ala Dan
November 22, 2007, 10:20 AM
NEVER-EVER trade a perfectly good 1911 for a clock, opps~! I mean GLOCK~! :D

In my area, Glock sales have slowed considerably; while 1911 sales have gone thru
the roof. Most popular Glock nowdays seems too be a tie, between the G-19 and G-23
with the G-17 coming in third place.

The Lone Haranguer
November 22, 2007, 10:47 AM
If you like the 1911 platform, have a look around for a 1911 in 9mm ...

There is an option. If you don't like the .45, a 9mm should be a piece of cake to shoot in a gun of that size and weight.

mballai
November 22, 2007, 12:31 PM
19 is only half of 1911 :eek:

I think it's the better half. :D

AndyC
November 22, 2007, 12:38 PM
I think it's the better half
My wife, being feminine as well, would agree with you ;)

Relax, everyone, just teasing... :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking about trading a 1911 for a Glock 19" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!