Slug Hunting With Bead Sights.

PDA

doubleg
November 20, 2007, 09:46 PM
Any tips or techniques people can share. What is a feasible range?

If you enjoyed reading about "Slug Hunting With Bead Sights." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jeff F
November 20, 2007, 10:06 PM
Get out to the range with a bunch of slugs and shoot. If you can hit it at 100 yards a slug will kill it. Just got to practice and see what you and your shotgun can do.

Z71
November 20, 2007, 10:14 PM
Used to, or maybe still can buy a set of open sights that will clamp onto the vent rib, provided the shotgun you got has a rib. I think Millet made these sights, but not sure.

Just have to try your gun with slugs and see how it shoots. May shoot pretty decent, may shoot terrible.

I've found that my modified choke 1100 Rem, shoots slugs better than a cylinder bored Winchester riot gun or a improved cylinder Ithaca 37.

I have heard other slug shooters say the modified choke worked better for them too.

Not sure just why, as I've always thought the cylinder guns were supposed to shoot best.

In my limited slug shooting experience, the 1100 shot real good windage-wise, but the elevation took some getting used too. The other guns just launched slugs in pretty large groups. Maybe 12-18 inch groups or bigger at 30yds. For whatever reason, the modified choked 1100 would shoot maybe 6-8 inch groups, just seemed to shoot pretty low.

Exmasonite
November 20, 2007, 10:17 PM
+1 to Jeff's thoughts. I recently went through the same thing.

I've got a Mossy 500 w/ smooth bore barrel and no choke. went to the range with crappy scope to try to sight in. scope didn't work out so i figured i'd just go w/ the bead sight. Turns out Brenneke KO fire the best out of my gun. Took me a while to figure out my gun shoots high (so i have to aim low... about 6" at 25 yds and 1' at 50). Of my last 10 slugs, 8 of them went into paper plate sized target at 50 yds and the other 2 were just outside. My buddy said he'd probably hunt with that consistency but i wasn't so sure (first time hunting) so i went out and got a scope for it.

Find what type of slug your gun prefers and see what you can do with it at the ranges you expect to be using.

Just saw z71's post... they make a fiber optic sight that will screw into the bead threads. almost picked one up (like $10 at dick's or something) but ended up getting the scope.

GRB
November 20, 2007, 10:22 PM
I can and have hit stationary targets shooting slugs at 100 yards with a Remington 870 with bead front sight, and I think it was on a 20" barrel. I would not recommend it for hunting though. If you are using any shotgun with a bead front sight I would recommend keeping your shots close, under 50yards, and better yet 40 yards or less. As Jeff said though, practice is what you have to do.

All the best,
Glenn B

Dave McCracken
November 20, 2007, 11:09 PM
My slug shooters are 870s with peep sights, but a couple years back I took Frankenstein, my "Mutt" 870 to the range and tried it from the bench at 50 yards.

It wore the 21" vent rib barrel with single bead and I used KO Brenekkes simply because I had oodles of them handy.

2 1/2" groups,ETE. I've good bench form and Frank has a decent trigger.

HTH....

goon
November 21, 2007, 12:56 AM
My Mossberg 500 also shoots most slugs about 6" high at 25 yards, still a little high at 50, and about dead on at 80. It has the plain bead on it and my brother hit a clay pigeon laying on the backstop with it once at 100 yards (little jerk!).
You'll just have to try it and see, and also try different brands. I tried several just out of curiosity (thinking that a $150 cylinder bore riot gun wouldn't be any good for anything other than HD) and found that the cheap Remington sluggers from walmart work best.
And BTW - I was very wrong. That Mossberg is a really great gun and probably the best buck-fifty I ever dropped on any gun.

klcmschlesinger
November 21, 2007, 11:44 AM
My red dot scope died just as my doe was coming into view this past Friday. I can see unter the scope to the bead so I used it and hit her real high through the backbone at about 40 yards. So mine shot about 4 or 5 inches high from where I was aiming. But it worked. Put her down.

Loyalist Dave
November 21, 2007, 12:05 PM
YES indeed, I tried Remington in two weights and sizes, Federal, Winchester, Hornady, and Brenneke in my plain slug barrel with iron sights. All of the slugs were rifled, not sabots. At 50 yards the Remington and Federal were not consistantly in the black, the Winchester was way too stout a load and also didn't shoot well, and the Hornady was better, BUT the Brenneke 1 oz. 2 3/4" Rottweil slugs shot the 10 ring with all three shots touching. So my slug gun only gets Brenneke Rottweil 1 oz. slugs. I will try out the Brenneke KO slugs in the morning on Turkey Day to see if they do as well.

You can still find fiber optic sights for vent ribbed barrels that clamp onto the ribs.

LD

lbmii
November 21, 2007, 10:43 PM
If your receiver has screw holes for a scope mount you can screw in a straight blade type screw so that the screw grove runs in line with the barrel. You then sight down the grove of the screw and use it as a rear sight. It works quite well.

sm
November 22, 2007, 12:11 AM
never mind

If you enjoyed reading about "Slug Hunting With Bead Sights." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!