What is it that attracts you to semi autos?

PDA

Hokkmike
November 21, 2007, 10:30 AM
I have been hunting and shooting for over 30 years. I must admit to a renaissance of interest in shooting due to a recent love affair with semi auto pistols. What is it that you find so interesting about these pistols?

I have included several choices but try to narrow it down...

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "What is it that attracts you to semi autos?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vito_Corleone
November 21, 2007, 12:06 PM
They look cooler.

Hokkmike
November 21, 2007, 12:26 PM
Vito, certainly no one is going to argue with YOU, sir. (LOL)

fletcher
November 21, 2007, 12:30 PM
Weight, concealability, and capacity are the big ones for me.

Whirlwind06
November 21, 2007, 12:34 PM
An autoloader is like a car engine and a revolver is like a swiss watch.
If I take my time a pay attention to what I'm doing I can take apart and put back together either a car engine or a autoloader.

Anytime I tried to take apart a watch other then replacing the battery. It has never worked again. I kind of see revolvers in the same light.

Tyris
November 21, 2007, 12:47 PM
Higher capacity (reloading after 15 or 17 is more fun than 10, way more fun than 6).

Also, you cannot practically put a silencer on a revolver!

-T

steelyblue
November 21, 2007, 12:51 PM
They look nicer and the 1911 allows me too shoot more accurately because of the SA. I have to admit however that my 686 is more fun to shoot. I just can't have it loaded in the house because I have a 5yr old.

curmudgeon and anarchist
November 21, 2007, 01:06 PM
Most of the bugs have been worked out of high end semi-autos and they really don't jam very often. This encourages me to choose the high capacity weapon.

Loyalist Dave
November 21, 2007, 01:13 PM
I prefer the quick reloading. I started with and still love the 1911, and with some of the .357 revolver offerings out there having 7 or eight shots, capacity comparison with a classic 1911 is moot. Smoothed actions and trigger jobs in a revolver have also closed the classic 1911 advantage, and a 6" factory revolver barrel will give better energy with a .357 mag and (in my hands) control the revolver's recoil better. BUT, I can start my second batch of slugs downrange faster with a magazine fed semi, so I upgraded and now use a 14 shot Para in .45. Wish I could carry it in the People's Republic of Maryland, aka the TAX ME state.

LD

Rich K
November 21, 2007, 01:31 PM
My favorite autoloader is the 1911A-1 for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is that it fits my hand and is the most familiar to me. Having shot one for the past 33 years, it is like an extension of my arm.

EdLaver
November 21, 2007, 01:36 PM
I would definetly have to agree with the majority and say that semi-autos hi cap is my main attraction. (Thats what I voted for) Second, is the ergonomics and ease of handling.There is only one revolver currently on the market that is interesting me...the Smith & Wesson M&P R8 eight shot .357 revolver. Why? Hi-cap wheel gun.

DogBonz
November 21, 2007, 01:44 PM
I like autos for all of the reasons in your poll, but I also like revolvers for those reasons. If I had to say which one was most important, it would be ergo's. Autos just feel beter in the hand for me, and so I can shoot them faster and more accurately (while shooting fast).

HisSoldier
November 21, 2007, 01:51 PM
I chose # 7.

From an engineering standpoint a mechanism that loads many successive rounds into a single chamber is way more elegant than having six chambers. The auto loader is more advanced in that sense in the same way that a revolver is more advanced than the single shot percussion pistol it replaced. As the single shot pistol was easier to keep reliability factors up over a revolver until the revolver design was finalized the revolver was easier to keep reliability factors higher than the auto. I hate to say it, since I don't like them, but Glock has probably taken auto reliability to a level above a revolver, so design wise the evolution is complete. Next will be some sort of laser gun activated by mental impulses, and it will take 20 years to evolve because computers shorten design time so much. (tongue in cheek)

GlockamaniaŽ
November 21, 2007, 02:20 PM
One word: GLOCK.

RevolvingCylinder
November 21, 2007, 02:26 PM
Elegance? Cartridges being slammed in a chamber by a slab of steel and being yanked out with a little claw is elegant? I have yet to personally see a S&W K frame(my favorite variety of revolver and what I use most) choke as frequently as I've seen a Glock(never compared to very rare). But then again, a revolver's malfunctions aren't discounted with the plethora of excuses available(shooters fault, limp wrist, ammo not hot enough, etc.). A revolver will also not become a hand grenade with in-spec ammunition that doesn't have bullets that aren't coated to its liking. To say that the automatic pistol design is more reliable would be like to say that they automatic rifle is more reliable than the bolt action.

Since Glocks don't incorporate anything new or revolutionary in a pistol design(other than that horrible trigger), they are limited in the same aspects as any other automatic. The load spectrum for them is just as narrow and they require much more caution in respect to ammunition than other designs.

What attracts me to automatic pistols is the same that attracts me to modern DA revolvers and that is functionality.

Technosavant
November 21, 2007, 02:28 PM
I have plenty of love for wheelguns, but I prefer semiautos, mainly for the ergonomics and handling of them. I just find them easier to shoot well, and the increased ammo capacity is just icing on the cake.

RevolvingCylinder
November 21, 2007, 02:31 PM
An autoloader is like a car engine and a revolver is like a swiss watch.
If I take my time a pay attention to what I'm doing I can take apart and put back together either a car engine or a autoloader.
It's really not that difficult and with newer designs like the Ruger GP100, it's simple.

I like the ergonomics of a revolver better(less square) and I've never felt as smooth as a trigger on any automatic.

Novus Collectus
November 21, 2007, 02:34 PM
I chose everything including "other". You did not list mechanical curiousity or an admiration of ingenious mechanical design.

mpmarty
November 21, 2007, 03:03 PM
Me too, all of the above. Many years ago I was forced to carry a stupid S&W revolver with 4" barrel and issue 38 spl ammo. After a primer setback and three months later a bullet that "jumped" forward under recoil both of which required a trip to the armorer, I not only quit packing that archaic piece of crap but quit the department and went to one where I could qualify with a 1911a1. Revolvers are great fun for cowboy action reenactments or civil war skirmishers but in todays world, gimme a semi auto, even a Glock if that's all there is available.

KBintheSLC
November 21, 2007, 03:41 PM
Well, I used to only trust my .357 mag wheel gun for years. However, my Glock and my Sig have proven to be every bit as reliable and much more fun to shoot. Not to mention that 6 shots is just the beginning, with plenty more to come. I just think that a revolver (all other things being equal) would be a disadvantage in a modern, urban combat scenario. I do believe that a nice .357 or .44 mag revolver still has its place as a side arm in the wilderness. However, if your target has the capability of shooting back at you, I would rather have the auto. Having a dozen or more rounds with rapid reloading counts for a lot in todays world.

HisSoldier
November 21, 2007, 03:41 PM
"Cartridges being slammed in a chamber by a slab of steel and being yanked out with a little claw is elegant?"
yes, well, not being "slammed", being fed. Compared to ejecting them by hand and inserting fresh ones (Into a slab of steel?) by hand, in the heat of battle, way way yes.
You have to start with an understanding and love for automation, automation is the reason we have firearms at all in meaningful quantities and sold cheaply. If you want to make your revolver with a file, well, unless your hourly wage is pretty low I wouldn't want to pay for it, and it probably would look like it was made that way. No two parts from two guns exchanging, and wait an interminable time for replacement parts of equally poor quality that need to be hand fitted. Automatic machines do things formally done by hand faster and better, what's not to love about that? I know some folks wish we all got around riding horses, that's ok to have an opinion like that, but I don't have to agree. If you don't prefer automation there may be something else wrong somewhere else. This argument really centers about the superiority or inferiority of doing things with machines compared to doing them by antiquated methods. :) It's pretty likely that in the 1830's people were having similar arguments about those new fangled revolvers, and how inferior they are to the good old single shot pistol.

But I think I'd be a rude fellow to come into a revolver forum and say all that.

Youngster
November 21, 2007, 04:34 PM
Other, I think autoloaders are more suited for current manufacturing methods and have seen a lot more innovation than revolvers in recent years.

Autolycus
November 21, 2007, 04:52 PM
Lots of reasons. You nailed most of them in your list.

hexidismal
November 21, 2007, 05:11 PM
Tough to say. I'm no more attracted to autoloaders than I am to revolvers. I like both. The advantages I like most in regards to autos though, I would have to say are capacity and repeating single action shots. That's why I don't, and will never own any DAO autos.

10-Ring
November 21, 2007, 06:15 PM
Increased cool factor :cool: (Even tho there are few semi autos that are as cool or cooler than my '68 blue Python!)

varoadking
November 21, 2007, 06:42 PM
That's why I don't, and will never own any DAO autos.

Too bad...you are missing out on some of the best autoloaders ever made...

dwave
November 21, 2007, 06:48 PM
Also, you cannot practically put a silencer on a revolver!

Sure you can. Ever heard of a Nagant Revolver?

f4t9r
November 21, 2007, 07:08 PM
I like them because they go Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang.
Then another mag and they do it all over again

Lonestar49
November 21, 2007, 07:11 PM

Being part of the modern times.. same as when the revolver first came along replacing the one-shot shooters of their time..

I'm kinda hoping for the next step, the ray-guns, with stun, or kill, settings..

Hmmm, maybe in my next lifetime.. lol

Ls

dwave
November 21, 2007, 07:38 PM
I love semi-autos, but for home defense, I prefer a Double Action Revolver. I prefer just for the fact if I get a dud round, just pull the trigger again and it will go to the next round quickly. Down side is 6 shots of course.

aka108
November 21, 2007, 08:04 PM
Easier to clean. I don't like cleaning the 6 holes in the cylinder and under the extractor on revolvers.

ewb45acp
November 21, 2007, 08:07 PM
I don't specifically prefer autos to revolvers. I like the 1911 platform because of its classic lines, reliability, accuracy, balance, etc.
These are all the same reasons I like S&W K frames. SAA type revolvers, and the Ruger MKII.

Daemon688
November 21, 2007, 08:07 PM
Other: because it's called technological advancement. Semi-autos are just better all around guns. Weapons of the 1800s are long dead, time to step into the 20th century. And when the time is right, a pocket sized rail gun!

quickcanary
November 21, 2007, 08:36 PM
I like them because they go Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang.
Then another mag and they do it all over again

LOL! I like them for several of the reasons mentioned in this thread, but I must admit that what you said is a big part of the draw as well!

Except, my G19 goes Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang,Bang. And one more time if I've topped it off +1. :D

I'll spare you the details of the 33rd mags... ;)

dwave
November 21, 2007, 09:29 PM
Weapons of the 1800s are long dead, time to step into the 20th century.

Weapons of the 1800's are NOT dead. The first Semi-Autos were designed and made in the 1800's therefore semi-autos are old tech. Revolvers are still being made and sold so they are not dead by any means. FWI, we are in the 21st century. :)

Ala Dan
November 21, 2007, 09:57 PM
I voted for numbers # 1 and # 5~! :cool:

The only autoloaders I could rate solely as dependable would be in NO
particular order:

SIG Classic P-series pistols
Glocks
H&K's

All of these are "tools", and work well; straight out of the box~! ;) :D

LanEvo`
November 21, 2007, 10:40 PM
They look cooler.Really? Well, let's see here...

Here's a G19:
http://talks.guns.ru/forums/icons/forum_pictures/000243/thm/243736.jpg

vs. an M19:
http://www.legendportraits.com/Images/Guns/M19lf_1073a.jpg

I know which one looks cooler to me! :neener:

Gila Jorge
November 21, 2007, 10:59 PM
Reliability and magazine capacity and the ease of concealing are all factors.
I prefer the 1911 but have Sig and CZs also...previously Smith and Wessons were my mainstays...

RevolvingCylinder
November 21, 2007, 11:36 PM
Other: because it's called technological advancement. Semi-autos are just better all around guns. Weapons of the 1800s are long dead, time to step into the 20th century. And when the time is right, a pocket sized rail gun!
Next you're gonna tell me the "revolutionary" pistols of today operate on the same design developed around the same time that the S&W K-frame was first put into production.

But I think I'd be a rude fellow to come into a revolver forum and say all that.
One would think it would be rude to be condescending to those with different tastes than you. I never said I didn't like autos. I like them as much as my revolvers. Difference is that I don't harbor a strong dislike of revolvers so much so that even comparing the two in any way that brings any merits to the revolver is considered "rude". I visit this section because I like autos too.

It's pretty likely that in the 1830's people were having similar arguments about those new fangled revolvers, and how inferior they are to the good old single shot pistol.

Grouping a S&W M&P in with a cap 'n ball would be like grouping your Glock with a Volcanic Pistol.

Daemon688
November 22, 2007, 12:32 AM
Weapons of the 1800's are NOT dead. The first Semi-Autos were designed and made in the 1800's therefore semi-autos are old tech. Revolvers are still being made and sold so they are not dead by any means. FWI, we are in the 21st century.

True, true. And being that we have not had any major advances in technology for guns is the reason why I put 20th century....and that rail gun comment. Besides that, the first semi-autos were made in the late 1800's so.....they count right?! :D

Point still stands though newer technology = better. If revolvers were so great they would still be used by police departments, the military, etc. But they're not. Sure we still make black powder rifles, but for self defense? Heck no, I'll pass. There are better options out there.

dwave
November 22, 2007, 12:43 AM
True, true. And being that we have not had any major advances in technology for guns is the reason why I put 20th century....and that rail gun comment.

Heck, I am waiting on the Star Trek weapons myself.

Point still stands though newer technology = better.

Not always, case in point, one I made earlier, a DA revolver I believe makes a good self defense weapon because if you get a dud, just pull the trigger again and it goes on to the next, but a semi you have to eject the round and takes up a little more time. And just for fun, lets look at Micro$oft! Vista>XP?? :evil:

Hokkmike
November 22, 2007, 12:50 AM
Lane Evo - nice pics. The revolver wins in this one, but you could make it turn out the other way!

Samuraigg
November 22, 2007, 12:53 AM
Most of the poll options apply to me. The only one that doesn't really fit for me is high capacity, seeing as how I only shoot an 8+1 P220. However I appreciate the ease and speed of reloading a semi auto.

HisSoldier
November 22, 2007, 02:01 AM
"One would think it would be rude to be condescending to those with different tastes than you. I never said I didn't like autos. I like them as much as my revolvers."
Hmm, I thought perhaps you were slamming autos when you said; "Elegance? Cartridges being slammed in a chamber by a slab of steel and being yanked out with a little claw is elegant?" Perhaps you meant that in a good way. (snicker)

If I wrote about my feelings for what I believe to be the far more advanced operating system of the autoloading pistol in a revolver forum I would think that would be condescending and rude, yes. The revolver of today compared to the auto loader is a very good deal similar to the single shot percussion pistol of 1838 compared to Colts new revolver, in my opinion. If I had a choice of either a single shot pistol or a revolver in a firefight logic would demand the revolver, and likewise when a revolver is compared to an auto loader the choice would have to be an auto. My position however was about mechanical design evolution, not about what you or I like to carry. The revolver was revolutionary in it's time, with the propellants they had, but when smokeless powder came along it opened the door for a better design concept, an inbuilt mechanism that extracts the empty casing and loads a fresh one into the same chamber, cocks the weapon, and awaits the shooters decision to fire the next round. I've been so taken with that concept that I've only owned a few revolvers, and usually haven't kept them long. I've owned even fewer single shot pistols. they just aren't interesting to me. Sorry.

makarovnik
November 22, 2007, 02:25 AM
Concealability, fast reloads and a nice trigger on followup shots.

KC&97TA
November 22, 2007, 02:55 AM
#7 Other

for two reasons; I think my love of 1911's came from shooting my Grandfathers old US Army Colt when I was younger & the second being Dad only had big frame revolvers, .357, 44mag, .45LC and .454

I now have 4 - 1911's, shopping for a 5th, a 92FS and an XD-40 that just came about from a great deal... If I could ever make it back home for Deer hunting I'd pick up a Ruger Super Red Hawk 45lc/.454 combo.

abarth
November 22, 2007, 05:38 AM
Because I can't own a full auto where I live.:neener:

Sorry can't resist. Because autoloader looks cooler holding side way than a revolver. Have you ever seen a gangster in rap music video has a revolver?

The Lone Haranguer
November 22, 2007, 11:38 AM
Taking the points in order:

Appearance: not a factor. The Colt 1911 and Browning Hi-Power are very attractive, the Glock and S&W M&P, while functional, are, realistically, not good looking. Of course, the A-10 attack plane is not very attractive either. ;) At least when talking about S&W, Colt and even Ruger, there are no ugly revolvers.

Ammunition capacity: factor. Even a single-stack auto carries more ammo than most revolvers. Two-legged predatory animals often hunt in packs, and it frequently takes more than one shot to put down even a single predator. I would rather have the extra ammo and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Rapid fire: factor. The Ed McGiverns and Jerry Miculeks among us can shoot and hit very fast with revolvers. I find a SA or a short-stroke DAO auto much easier to shoot and hit fast with.

Concealability: factor (but not by much). The butts of autos are rather large, while those of revolvers are (or can be made to be) smaller. But the slimmer, flatter frame and slide of the auto is more comfortable to carry IWB than the protruding cylinder of a revolver.

Ergonomics, ease of handling: factor. Reloading is indisputably faster. Other than round-butt S&W medium-frames, few revolvers fit my hand well. (But then, few double-stack/double-action autos do either.) A SA or short-stroke DAO trigger is much easier for me to shoot and hit fast with. (Did I say this before? ;))

Dependability: not a factor. "Top tier" autos like the Glock and "classic" SIGs will shoot all day long. Others, like many modern interpretations of 1911s, are more "fussy." Still others, like a Taurus PT945 I had about 12 years ago, are little more than single-shots. :rolleyes: I would certainly prefer a revolver to a "second-" or "third tier" auto. However, they are not immune to malfunctions of their own.

LanEvo`
November 22, 2007, 09:01 PM
Lane Evo - nice pics. The revolver wins in this one, but you could make it turn out the other way!Those aren't my pics: I found them through a Google Images search for "S&W M19." However, I'm almost 100% sure that they were taken by someone who posts regularly here on THR. I've seen similar pics in the past.

Meanwhile, here's the other side:

http://www.legendportraits.com/Images/Guns/M19rf_1090e.jpg

And here's the s.s. M66:

http://www.legendportraits.com/Images/Guns/M66lftfrnt.jpg

Of course, I was really "loading the dice" by comparing this beauty to a Glock! I think a nice 1911 or P-35 Hi Power would have been a more fair comparison.

http://www.novaksights.com/images/GUNS/bhp/bhp-R-00131-web.jpg

wally
November 22, 2007, 09:22 PM
Greater variety of engineering and design. Revolvers are all basically the same with a few minor design differences in the internals.

Besides, chasing the brass for reloading is good exercise you can't get with a revolver :)

--wally.

skeeter1
November 22, 2007, 09:41 PM
My Beretta M87 is just plain fun to shoot, plain and simple as that. It's no match for my revolvers for accuracy, but it's a hoot to shoot, and very simple to take down to clean. I've got 5 magazines for it, and can load them all up and shoot one after the other, 40 rounds total. What's not fun about that?

sdj
November 22, 2007, 10:29 PM
I voted #5, but #2 was my second choice. To be more specific in respect to #5: semi-autos are flat (as are the mags), which I find eases carry.

Geno
November 22, 2007, 10:35 PM
All of the above and then some. That doesn't mean I don't like revolvers though.

Ed Ames
November 23, 2007, 12:35 AM
I like autoloaders because its easier to get free brass for them. LOL

Actually, I like autoloaders for a combination of two reasons... there are so many interesting designs, and the common designs (1911, glock) tend to be easier to modify. New barrel? Drop it in. New caliber? Often just a barrel and mag change will do you. Otherwise there is probably a slide-and-barrel conversion kit available.

I don't buy the whole "autoloaders are more modern therefore better" argument though... the disadvantages of spewing brass around will become more and more pronounced as time moves on and the number of people competing for resources goes up.

Conqueror
November 23, 2007, 12:50 AM
How about, ALL OF THE ABOVE!

I love firearms because they are interesting machines, and I have a very mechanical mind. Semi-auto guns are inherently more interesting machines - but that definition emcompasses a little of everything on your poll (they do look cool, they are ergonomic, they are nicely concealable, etc).

Daemon688
November 23, 2007, 01:36 AM
Not always, case in point, one I made earlier, a DA revolver I believe makes a good self defense weapon because if you get a dud, just pull the trigger again and it goes on to the next, but a semi you have to eject the round and takes up a little more time. And just for fun, lets look at Micro$oft! Vista>XP??

Heh, I never really bought that argument. Yes, it's a benefit. But then again there can be any number of "what if" scenarios. For example......what if that cylinder locks up tight? If you feel good daily carrying a revolver go for it. If you like glocks, great. But I'm sticking to what I like and what works for me. I'm still waiting for a star wars type lasers. At least they look like a real weapon rather than a star trek stun gun :neener:

dwave
November 23, 2007, 09:49 AM
Heh, I never really bought that argument. Yes, it's a benefit. But then again there can be any number of "what if" scenarios. For example......what if that cylinder locks up tight? If you feel good daily carrying a revolver go for it. If you like glocks, great. But I'm sticking to what I like and what works for me.

And that points to a fact that I brought up in another thread. Every gun has the potential to fail (said it in a Glock love thread and they NEVER fail :D) For Conceal Carry, I have a FEG PA-63 semi-auto. I do however have the revolver for Home Defense (I don't like them for CC).

I'm still waiting for a star wars type lasers. At least they look like a real weapon rather than a star trek stun gun

Yeah, the star wars laser would be cool, but how much cooler would it be when you tell your friend to set to kill. :cool:

woad_yurt
November 23, 2007, 10:58 PM
I checked "other" in the poll because "cheap, reliable power" was not an available choice. I have a bunch of revolvers and only 2 semi-autos, both of them CZ 52s. I have a chromed one from Classic Arms and love it. It's easy to tweak and it's a beast. I bought a few cans of Romanian surplus ammo and can shoot all day for very little money. Also, those Wolf hollowpoints are some damaging suckers. Probably, the biggest reason I like it is that it's a panic to shoot. When I go to the range, it's kind of fun to see people wonder "what the heck is making all that noise over there?"

Maximum1
November 24, 2007, 01:28 AM
In addition to ALL of the above.....what attracts me to semi-autos are...FAST RELOAD!!!

Maximum1
November 24, 2007, 01:35 AM
BTW...Glockamania he was talking about real semi-autos not Blocks. :neener:

just kiiding around with you Glockamania

Hokkmike
November 24, 2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks to all for your many comments. THR is positive proof that we "gun nuts, er - make that enthusiasts" are NOT stupid!

slzy
November 24, 2007, 10:17 PM
i admit,i don't know. i like revolvers better. i have a p7 which i bought because it was very revolver like,plus i heard it likes hollow points. still.i feel more comfortable with my j,

If you enjoyed reading about "What is it that attracts you to semi autos?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!