What does one do with a problem gun?

PDA

mugsie
November 21, 2007, 02:22 PM
I read on post after post someone saying "... if the problem continues get rid of the gun..." or "... it was constantly (fill in the blank) so I got rid of it...".

So tell me - does one sell it without informing the buyer of a problem? Do you keep it and relagate it to a closet queen? What does one do with a problem gun?

Just curious. :confused:

BTW - we won in PA (this time). Maybe if we lose the next thing is we can only purchase one pack of cigarettes a week, or how bout beer? One bottle of beer a day. Seems fair yes? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "What does one do with a problem gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hokkmike
November 21, 2007, 02:29 PM
I think the best policy is to be honest but relate all of the possibilities. For example, tell the prospective new owner of the symptoms, but point out the postives, and perhaps offer a discount.

BobMcG
November 21, 2007, 02:30 PM
IMO an awful lot of them end up getting traded in at guns shops with no mention of the problem.

mainebear
November 21, 2007, 03:09 PM
You're right Bob. I think I bought most of em in years gone by. Hope I'm a little better informed now.

10X
November 21, 2007, 03:23 PM
Buying a used gun is like buying a used car, buyer beware. A lot of buyers don't ask about problems and so the seller doesn't disclose anything. Gun shows are notorious for poeple unloading problems. Sometimes the buyer is experienced and is aware of problems and has greater skills to fix the problems, sometimes not. I have had the worst of luck and the best of luck at gun shows. When I see something that has been modified or tinkered with that is usually a red flag there were problems and it didn't work right and probably doesn't work right still. I walk away. When something looks factory original there is less risk. Still, no guarantees.

If you want to be sure, you have to buy new and get a manufacturer's warranty.

M2 Carbine
November 21, 2007, 03:46 PM
So tell me - does one sell it without informing the buyer of a problem? Do you keep it and relagate it to a closet queen? What does one do with a problem gun?

If I can't fix the gun I'll sell it, but not before I explain in great detail what the problems are.
Usually I'll be selling the gun so cheap that the buyer will take the chance of being able to repair it.

Anything I sell I tell the buyer if there's any problems.

doc2rn
November 21, 2007, 04:13 PM
If I buy a weapon system I really want and something is wrong, not covered by warranty, that is when it goes to a gunsmith.

Autolycus
November 21, 2007, 04:46 PM
I take it to a smith or send it to the manufacturer for repair if possible. However I usually buy new though.

Mad Magyar
November 21, 2007, 04:54 PM

I'm one of the guys you see walking the aisles of the Gunshows with either a sign or flashing the case so everyone knows, especially the vendors, that it's for sale....Vendors will not pay much; but there is always J.Q. Public looking for a bargain or to take advantage....
I tell them it's not perfect and for the price: what the hell?...:)

10-Ring
November 21, 2007, 05:02 PM
When I first started shooting, I had a gun that just did not work for me...I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside! :o Anyway, a buddy picked it up, shot it like it was made for him & offered me a good price for it. Since then, I decided that my problem is someone else's good deal;)

fastbolt
November 21, 2007, 06:34 PM
I've bought my fair share of guns which have had "problems".

Granted, back before I'd spent some years as a LE firearms instructor and armorer I'd also bought some guns of "lesser quality", as well.

In my younger days I traded some of them off to gun stores who employed gunsmiths. I remember trading in one particularly problematic handgun to a gun store who had a seemingly bored gunsmith employed who was willing to accept a challenge. The store knew full well that I'd been having problems with the gun in question, since they had handled the shipping back to the manufacturer for me for 2-3 unsuccessful repair trips. They didn't seem to mind keeping the gun in trade after the last time it returned from the company, and when I removed it from the shipping container it exhibited the same problem. I didn't care what they offered for it in trade. I just had no intention of taking it home again.

I also shipped some of them back to the manufacturers for repair with excellent results and which were very satisfactory experiences.

Nowadays I generally prefer to buy firearms which I consider to be of high quality, from manufacturers whom I trust to support the guns, if necessary, and/or which I'm trained to maintain and make basic repairs as a LE armorer. (I'll freely admit a strong motivation to originally become a LE armorer was to be able to maintain and repair my personal firearms, especially with an eye toward remaining able to do so after I retire. ;) )

If you enjoyed reading about "What does one do with a problem gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!