Anyone tried a Taurus 24/7?

PDA

dgray64
November 21, 2007, 11:37 PM
How did you like it? Would you recommend it? Why or why not. I looked at a couple at the gun show last week and they were reasonable. I like my Taurus Model 65 revolver. I'd like to try a Taurus semi-auto. Thanks.

Dave :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone tried a Taurus 24/7?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onmilo
November 21, 2007, 11:52 PM
Unless you really like the grip material featured on the Taurus I would recommend you look at the new Smith and Wesson M&P pistol which is a modified and improved version of the 24/7.

The Taurus will cost less but I think you will find the Smith to be an overall better gun in fit, finish, and general quality.

jakeswensonmt
November 22, 2007, 12:05 AM
You mean the DAO 24/7, not DA/SA 24/7 pro? I can't speak for the 24/7, but I had a 24/7pro in 9mm, very similar.

The gun had some strong points: Never malfunctioned, incredible ergonomics, accessory rail, high capacity, unlimited warranty.

The gun had two weak points that ruined the whole thing: Amazingly inaccurate, and Taurus customer service's lackadaisical attitude.

The inaccuracy thing was hard to believe, it wasn't easy to get shots on the paper at all even at close range. Some of my friends just about busted a gut laughing at my attempts to put shots on paper, and the ridiculous excuse for a "group" when they did get on the paper. (I'm not a bad shot, do just fine with my SIG or one of teh Rugers, etc.)

Sent the gun back to Taurus, and a looong time later it came back still inaccurate, with no explanations from Taurus. If they could have so much as diagnosed the problem I would have had a local smith work on it, but no data at all. So I just sold the dang thing, good riddance.

There are those who have bought Taurus's that were perfect, and they're very loyal to the brand, but there are a good number of people who have got real lemons from Taurus, and it's not easy to get Taurus to fix things as promised.

If I was you, I'd be looking at CZ75's, Ruger P's, XD's, Glocks. None of them are a lot more expensive than the Taurus, plus even less so when you consider the cost and hassle of overnight mailing a trouble gun back to the manufacturer a couple times.

packarat
November 22, 2007, 12:44 AM
I have a 24/7 .45 pro. I like the gun for what it is, mainly a close quarter combat weapon. I have pretty good "groupings" at 7 yards. At 25 yards I'm lucky to hit the paper unless I point shoot. Even then I do not have good groupings.

This is also my first auto and I'm still getting used to the recoil, which is quite different than my GP-100. I think the fixed sites are also causing me some performance issues. The grip does not have the "ribber" grips like the .40 and 9mm. So I think I'm going to opt for the Houge slip on before my next range trip. It was so warm at the indoor range that sweat was causing me to lose my grip on occasion.

Overall it is my house defense gun. Point shooting indoors/yard I am confident in my use of this weapon. Any type of outdoors "long" range use I will bring the GP-100 which I can shoot well out to 60+ yards.

cardman
November 22, 2007, 04:53 AM
I have a Taurus 24/7 I like the gun but, it was hard to take
apart when I went to clean it. I bought it for $ 300.00
at Gander Mountain and it came with 2 17 round magazines. I fired 2 boxes of 9mm out of it with no misfires and the gun pretty accurate

Mike (cardman)

wally
November 22, 2007, 08:26 AM
The Taurus will cost less but I think you will find the Smith to be an overall better gun in fit, finish, and general quality.

S&W is currently running a $50 rebate and two free magazine offer on the M&P models so price will be about the same as the 24/7 after you get you $50 check from S&W. S&W warranty is second to none and they pay the shipping both ways without hassle should you get a bad one (everybody makes some).

In dry fire I'd rate the guns 24/7 M&P XD. But results when shooting I rate them M&P, XD, 24/7. Reliability has not been an issue for me with any of these. I shoot all of these better than I shoot my Glock 17 or 21. YMMV.

IMHO, the best Taurus auto is the PT-92/99 or PT-100/101 Beretta 92-like guns. They will do cocked and locked or DA/SA and are very good shooters. The PT-1911 generally gets good reviews and looks good, but I've not shot one yet. I'm also looking forward to the new 24/7 "OSS" varient with longer slide and ambi safety.

--wally.

12Bravo20
November 22, 2007, 09:41 AM
I have a 24/7 Pro C in .40 and like it. It is quite accurate at 15 yards. I can keep all 15 rounds in the center of a 5" Shoot N See target at that range. I haven't really tried shooting at farther ranges except a few bowling pins at 30 yards and I do hit them on a regular basis. I have fired about 500 rounds through mine, both reloads and factory ammo. I haven't had any FTF/FTE.

.357 magnum
November 22, 2007, 10:39 AM
I still own a 24/7 .45acp and a 9mm. I did own two .40's but traded them for the Smith MP .40 and 9mm. I really like the 24/7 models. They are reliable accurate and I think they are easy to clean. The ribber grip on the 9mm and .40 are nice, but they start to peel a bit after one year and that does not impress me. I really like my 24/7 .45, the grip is slender, and I Love the way it shoots. Some people on this thread have mentioned trouble with accuracy. When I first got the .45 it took a couple of range trips to get used to the Heine sights. I shoot it a little better then my XD .45 now. Overall the gun is made as well as the XD and Smith MP. You just pay less. After my Rave review of the 24/7 though. I still recommend the MP. The ergonomics are the Best with the MP. The finish is also better then the 24/7. So I recommend the MP. The current sale gets you two free mags and a 50 dollar rebate.:)

The Best to You and Yours!

Frank

The Lone Haranguer
November 22, 2007, 11:20 AM
... I would recommend you look at the new Smith and Wesson M&P pistol which is a modified and improved version of the 24/7.

:confused:

Agreed. I have a 9mm compact that is accurate and functions flawlessly.

After a disastrous PT945 about 12 years ago, I cannot bring myself to look at a Taurus auto. Perhaps this is unfair, but I just can't help it.

rcellis
November 22, 2007, 11:43 AM
I have both a S&W M&Pc and a Taurus 24/7c in 9mm - I see no difference in quality, workmanship or accuracy. Both are quite good guns. Guess which one cost me less?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone tried a Taurus 24/7?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!