Handholds and recoil control

PDA

CrawdaddyJim
November 22, 2007, 06:53 AM
Mods. I put this here for higher traffic. Please move if you feel necessary.

C & A's post about SRTriggers in Sigs got me to thinking about stances and handholds with regard to recoil control.

I use my weak hand to control muzzle jump. Using a modified Weaver stance or whatever the situation requires at the moment.

What I see a lot of newer shooters doing mostly young kids or women is a lowered elbow broken wrist hold. The ones I have talked to said it was more natural to them.

What do think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Handholds and recoil control" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mad Magyar
November 22, 2007, 08:35 AM
I use my weak hand to control muzzle jump. Using a modified Weaver stance or whatever the situation requires at the moment.

What I see a lot of newer shooters doing mostly young kids or women is a lowered elbow broken wrist hold. The ones I have talked to said it was more natural to them.

I believe you are describing what some call the "push-pull" affect on recoil.
However, in your initial comment concerning recoil control, I find that your hands are a more crucial element in this regard....:)

Japle
November 22, 2007, 09:47 AM
I believe youíll find that most of the fastest competitive shooters donít even try to control recoil. Itís not possible to stop it. The best you can do is to let the gun run through its recoil cycle and get it back on target ASAP.

If youíre holding the gun tight, or using a lot of tension to control recoil, you wonít be able to do it exactly the same way every shot. The gun will end up pointing somewhere different every shot. Youíll have to do something different to get it back on target every shot. Thatís going to slow you down.

Relax, let the gun do its thing and after a while youíll learn whatís necessary to get the sights back on target. Itíll become a learned reflex and itíll work every shot because the gunís doing the same thing every shot.

John
Cape Canaveral

Chief 101
November 22, 2007, 11:56 AM
What Japle said, if you try to control the recoil you can't be shooting very accurately. Chief aka Maxx Load

GRIZ22
November 22, 2007, 12:02 PM
Whatever hold is safe, comfortable, and works for the indiviadual shooter is the one to use.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handholds and recoil control" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!