Has the Ruger SR-9 Tanked?

PDA

schmeky
November 22, 2007, 11:25 PM
I have been casually following the introduction of the Ruger SR-9. It seems as though it hit with a medium sized bang and then kinda fizzled out.

I have not seen one at a dealer yet. I feel the SR-9 is late in the striker fired market (by about 20 years) and seems to suffer from a Ruger auto-pistol hallmark: lack of trigger refinement.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has the Ruger SR-9 Tanked?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DPris
November 22, 2007, 11:30 PM
The thing has been out for less than a month. It's moving, Ruger says they're getting orders, the guns have shown up coast to coast, and I'd hardly say the model has tanked.
Denis

Coltdriver
November 22, 2007, 11:40 PM
I saw one at a gun show in Denver a couple of weeks ago.

It is just a full sized 9mm service weapon. The grip is relatively thin and it feels good in the hand. But I could see nothing particularly remarkable about it in the few minutes that I looked at it.

Ruger products all mean good quality to me. But I would imagine that loaded this pistol gets up around the three pound mark.

I don't think they are aiming at the civilian market for this one. It looks just like what you would expect a police officer to carry. And the out of the gates pricing on it is pretty good too. Its not like they have a ridiculous $700 retail then you get it for a deal price. $450 for a quality full sized 9mm is a fair number any day.

I just don't expect it to gain a civilian market following.

jakeswensonmt
November 23, 2007, 01:03 AM
Agreed, Dpris, it's way too early to call this one yet.

I just don't expect it to gain a civilian market following.

I think civilians may come to like it. People who like Rugers are used to the weight of the guns, expect the extra metal that makes them so tough, and some do like striker fired guns (not me).

SilentArmy
November 23, 2007, 01:12 AM
I saw one at a pawn shop (Already) on Wednesday as well as handled one at Impact guns in Ogden Ut. last week. I suppose as with their P-series, if they price them to match their quality ($350-400) then they will be big with the same crowd that bought the P's. You ALWAYS get what you paid for (unless you just paid new retail for a SIG)! I owned a P-89 15 yrs ago and it was great but not great enough to keep.

novaDAK
November 23, 2007, 03:49 AM
Well, I guess I'd rather hear not a lot of talk about a gun than a lot of bad talk.

If it was a bad gun, I'm sure we'd hear about it...;)

I think basically judging by the amount of talk about the SR9, it's just another striker fired wondernine which isn't bad at all :)

LAR-15
November 23, 2007, 10:35 AM
Handled one. It didn't feel as fat as other double stack 9mms

If an 18 shot 9x19mm pistol at a good price is your thing, this could be your gun.

rbernie
November 23, 2007, 12:40 PM
So far, the only ones I've seen in the DFW area have been the po-leece 'limited run' variant :rolleyes: priced at a very proud $499. That hasn't helped Ruger's cause much.

More importantly - handle a M&P and a SR-9 side by side, and I can bet dollars to donuts which you'll choose. The M&P feels better in the hand, is adjustable to fit different hands, has a better trigger, and in general is tighter.

Considering that I can get NIB M&Ps for $400 at every gunshow in town and $480 at the average storefront, Ruger has got a problem if they can't price the SR-9 down in the sub-$400 range.

DPris
November 23, 2007, 01:28 PM
Police limited run?
Denis

Texas_XD
November 28, 2007, 02:58 PM
Handled one yesterday, side by side with an M&P and actually would pick the SR9 myself. And I went in looking for the M&P, but spotted the Ruger. Granted it was almost $50 more, but I do get the spiffy CRKT knife, engraved, with it. Only thing I didn't overly like was the rear sight, but I can say that for just about any service type factory pistol. It almost looks like it came about just to compete with the M&P and FNP's out there. I'm going back for one 1st of Dec. myself.

The King of Pants
November 28, 2007, 03:06 PM
So far, the only ones I've seen in the DFW area have been the po-leece 'limited run' variant priced at a very proud $499. That hasn't helped Ruger's cause much.

Ha! The only place I've seen them in stock has 4 in the case going for a mere 599 U.S. dollars. It's ok though, they go good with their $675 bare bones Glock 17's :banghead:

Storm
November 28, 2007, 03:09 PM
Finally got to look over one this morning. It's okay, nothing really notable, new, or worthy of mention. If their method of releasing the gun was supposed to be so special that is now irrelevant as that is over with and we are now left with the gun. Maybe it shoots like a dream, but barring that I may own one someday when I can find a used one for a song with some $$ burning a hole in my pocket and nothing else to tempt me. For me Ruger centerfire autos is the P Series.

Gee, maybe next they will shake the world with a 1911.

nwilliams
November 28, 2007, 03:10 PM
Too expensive in my opinion. I really wanted one until I found out what they were selling for and quickly changed my mind. It has a great feel but not so great trigger, typical Ruger. I think if the gun retailed for more like $399 it would be much more popular than it is.

19-3Ben
November 28, 2007, 03:17 PM
tKoP- that hurts.

lee n. field
November 28, 2007, 05:56 PM
I think if the gun retailed for more like $399

Price will come down. The P345 started out where the SR9 started. Right now I'm seeing it at quite a bit more reasonable price.

fletcher
November 28, 2007, 06:13 PM
I think if the gun retailed for more like $399 it would be much more popular than it is.
I want to say it was about that price last time I was at the gun store. Maybe $20-40 more.

Ala Dan
November 28, 2007, 06:26 PM
Speaking of the price attached to the new Ruger SR-9; the first ones to come
down the pipe, were priced at $479~! :eek: Then, someone had a change of
heart; and dropped the price $60, too a low of $419. :cool: But, they still are
not selling~! :(

Boarhunter
November 28, 2007, 08:13 PM
I have approximately 1000 rounds through mine, and I like the heck out of it. And it retails here locally (Larry's Pistol and Pawn; Huntsville, Alabama) at $399. For what it is worth.

Boarhunter

Dave Markowitz
November 28, 2007, 08:18 PM
It just came out, give it a chance.

Handled one last week. Meh, didn't do anything for me. Which is not to say it's a bad gun at all. I just don't have any interest in a striker-fired 9mm.

Autolycus
November 28, 2007, 08:20 PM
Does anyone actually have one?

nwilliams
November 28, 2007, 08:29 PM
I want to say it was about that price last time I was at the gun store. Maybe $20-40 more.

Your right I was going by J&G's price which is the only place I had seen one for sale so far and they are selling them for $549.

However today I was at another shop in town and they had one for $449, I looked at it again and was drawn to it. I really love the way it feels in the hand and the trigger although not great wasn't the worst I've ever felt. Still after tax it would come close to $500 and that's more than I can justify spending right now, my gun budget is overdrawn for this year. Still it does say made in Prescott, AZ on the side so I feel I almost should have one for that reason alone:cool:

I do see myself owning one of these in the future, maybe a used one will come along or maybe they will drop in price.

Boarhunter
November 28, 2007, 08:40 PM
Tecumseh,

Me. I have one. And I like it.

Most of my shooting is normally done with a variety of 9mm 1911s (Kimbers and Springfields); and I have often carried a 9mm 1911. But I was interested in carrying a hi-cap 9mm (rather than single-stack), but with a feel and controls similar to the 1911. Plus, I was looking for a gun, again with a feel and controls somewhat similar to a 1911, that I could shoot SSP in IDPA competition. The 9mm 1911 falls into the very competitive ESP division of IDPA. And as it turns out, I think I shoot equally as well (or as poorly) with the SR-9 as I do with far more refined 9mm 1911s.

So, I have one and like it a pretty good bit.

Boarhunter

Neophyte1
November 28, 2007, 10:16 PM
SR9: The folks who take most of my 'GunMoney' ordered on my account 14 SR9's
sold 12 in 2 days; Sold 4 this past weekend; have 20 on order, my name has been on several. They sold them.
This Gun Pawn shop has a good reputation for taking care of MY money; They have Glocks and others with good pricing. At some point I'll have one.:D
SR9 $399.00
Glock $499.00

NC area.:)

cookekdjr
November 29, 2007, 12:08 AM
Held one at the store last week. Ho-hum. No stong feelings one way or the other.
Handled an M&P the same day...placed a winning bid on one at gunbroker that same day...

mitch256
November 29, 2007, 12:43 AM
A buddy of mine bought one. He had it at the range a few weeks ago and offered to let me try it out. I must say that it shot very well. The recoil was very managable and the SR-9 funtioned flawlessly. Trigger was very Ruger like, scratchy and heavy but it pointed true and was very comfortable to hold.

I'm not ready to go out and buy one just yet but I was pleasently surprised.

JP from Phoenix
November 29, 2007, 01:04 AM
i've seen them for 460 bucks, they will probably go down to like 400 i'm guessing. IMO they seem pretty nice off of looks and feel alone, good for smaller hands. I'm gonna hold out and see if they make them in .40 and .45

akanotken
November 29, 2007, 01:56 AM
They are 399 here in the stores (without the first run knife).

I loved the feel, very slim, started thinking of taking it home. Then I dry fired it.

I'm guessing one day they'll sell used for ~300 and if so I'd likely pick one up for a glove box gun.

Or, some smith will work magic on the trigger and have a lot of business on his hands, including mine ....

I visited another gunstore and the clerk said that a lot of folks liked them till they tried the trigger ....

Boarhunter
November 29, 2007, 10:18 AM
The trigger put me off until I took the gun to the range. Going through the motions of practicing more "practical" shooting, I did not even notice the rough trigger pull. And now, after 1000 rounds through the gun, the pull has smoothed up considerably.

Now, the trigger pull will never resemble the sweet pull of my Kimber Custom Aegis or my Kimber Tac Pro, nor will the SR-9 ever be a precision bulls-eye gun, but for carry and IDPA purposes, it suits me just fine.

Boarhunter

schmeky
November 29, 2007, 10:48 AM
Now, the trigger pull will never resemble the sweet pull of my Kimber Custom Aegis or my Kimber Tac Pro

Agreed. But as long as Ruger has been making firearms and doing research into the buying habits of consumers, I would have thought the SR-9 would have a least a smooth trigger.

I feel Ruger will alienate a lot of buyers by introducing this pistol with a scratchy, gritty, trigger feel. What is the first thing a shooting "enthusiast" does when handling a firearm? Check the trigger pull.

So now, that $399.00 selling price, for some of us, will require additional cash to get the trigger right, when Ruger could have, no, should have done this from the inception.

Just my .02 cents worth.

atblis
November 29, 2007, 11:14 AM
The trigger is what keeps me from considering one.

Liko81
November 29, 2007, 12:15 PM
+1 to above opinions that it's too early to tell and that the SR-9 is doing well for a new, newly-released design. There have been some problems reported; the most chronic is the magazine interlock, which is simply a pin block and if repeatedly impacted will deform and the gun will not fire. That sounds serious to me, especially when buying an "unsealed" weapon from under a gun counter; you simply have no way to know how many people have dry-fired the gun, and the warnings Ruger gives about this flaw are buried in the instruction manual.

Apart from that, there have been scattered reports of FTE/FTC and a few reports of trigger problems (slop, play, grit). Practically all of these can be considered refinement issues that Ruger can simply tweak given field reports of what they need to change. Every gun in existence and most other consumer products have had this phase after their introduction into the market.

edwardyoung
November 29, 2007, 03:30 PM
"The thing has been out for less than a month. It's moving, Ruger says they're getting orders, the guns have shown up coast to coast, and I'd hardly say the model has tanked.
Denis"

Glad to see you're still at it :D

Boarhunter
November 29, 2007, 03:53 PM
Something else to keep in mind on this issue.

The gun was released by Ruger without any pre-distribution publicity, marketing, or advertising. And the first wave of available guns were "limited edition" packages costing approximately $100 more than the regular production. All that being the case, I suggest the gun may be moving out the doors at a pretty good pace.

Boarhunter

Anna's Dad
November 29, 2007, 05:18 PM
I hope not, I bought mine about 2 weeks ago and haven't even shot it yet! I'd be bummed if it "tanked" before I even make it to the range. ;)

FR Baseball
November 29, 2007, 07:22 PM
I'll be getting one as soon as I get the money. I didn't think the trigger was bad at all when I played with one at the gunstore. Normally I shoot 1911's so I place the pad of my finger on the trigger face, and when I tried that technique on the SR-9 the trigger sucked. However, when I placed the first joint of my trigger finger on the trigger face the trigger felt suprisingly good. Hope that makes sense.

schmeky
November 29, 2007, 10:24 PM
Ruger should have trumped the Glock in nearly every aspect. Glocks are a tough act to follow, but Ruger should have created a better pistol than a Glock, after all, Ruger has had nearly 2 decades to build a better poly-gun.

Ruger needed to give us a very good reason to buy an SR series pistol. I fear they have instead, validated why we should continue buying Glocks.

Incidentally, I love Rugers and have owned many versions of Ruger pistols and still do. I really want to see the SR-9 succeed. But installing a .50 cent trigger on a $400.00 pistol makes me want to b_tch slap the engineer (or bean counter) responsible.

zamboxl
November 29, 2007, 10:39 PM
is there a 40 s&w planned

Blarelli
November 29, 2007, 10:39 PM
SR9's are down to $350 here.

DPris
November 29, 2007, 11:46 PM
Hi Edwardy,
Good to hear from you again.
Yup, still at it. Took a few minutes off from shilling for Cimarron, S&W, and Krebs to get back to shilling for Ruger. So many guns, so little shilling time! :D

Zam,
Ruger won't admit to any other calibers specifically, but I'd be surprised if you don't see a .40 in the SR9. Unofficially, as in "We can't really say yes right now, but we won't say no" & so on, you should see a compact version of the 9mm SR9 on the horizon.

Denis

If you enjoyed reading about "Has the Ruger SR-9 Tanked?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!