I am going in the near future to build a 1911 from ground up , any advise ?

PDA

datruth
November 23, 2007, 03:38 AM
I looked at a recent thread on the board and it got me to thinking, I had a springer 1911 GI a while ago and sold it before I deployed like a jackass, mainly because I wanted the typical bells and whistles the GI did not have. Know as I think more and more about it , I wont another one , my heart is/was set on a TRP from Springfield but I wonder, taking nothing from springfield, could I build a gun from the ground up or send it to a good smith if I supplied the parts,and expect the same reliability and accuracy for around the same price? Just priced everything from brownells catalog at 1134 with everything I could think of , does that sound about right, just wondering am I spinning my wheels or could I truly build a great shooter with that ceiling.Just curious :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "I am going in the near future to build a 1911 from ground up , any advise ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bannockburn
November 23, 2007, 06:33 AM
datruth

Is there a particular reason why you would want to attempt something like that, or else buy something fully tricked out by the factory, or buy a GI model and then have it built to your specs by yourself or a smith? The reason I ask is that buying a factory built model, you do get their warranty if something isn't right. And it's instant gratification-no waiting on a smith for the custom job, or you waiting on out of stock parts if you DIY. Also how good are your mechanical skills; can you actually build something like this from the ground up? Do you have all the necessary tools and equipment for a build; a lot of parts, like the sear, disconnector, hammer, trigger group, mainspring, barrel, slide, and frame, may require considerable hand fitting before everything gets going properly.
I guess it depends on you and your own abilities, and whether or not you really want to attempt something like this; or else just find something already done up the way you want it, and get it.

Lafeswede
November 23, 2007, 07:07 AM
Hello Datruth,
See my recent post on the thread of Norinco's worth. I had a very skilled tool maker who did most on spare time. If you are not in that league, I advise you to forget it. Man hours are normally expensive and it is hard to appreciate beforehand how much time things take.

Sail safe
Lafeswede

Jeff Timm
November 23, 2007, 08:38 AM
It is cheaper to get a good factory gun, than to build your own of equal quality.

If you MUST build your own, get the slide and frame from the same source at the same time to insure those critical pieces match exactly.

I recommend night sites as well.

Geoff
Who has had a long time to collect adequate weapons.

mister2
November 23, 2007, 08:55 AM
If you want a TRP, you're best off buying one new or used, depending on how much you want to spend.

If you want to build a 1911, for the sake of building one, say, to the level of a generic TRP, then go ahead; and recognize the money you're spending is to buy your satisfaction. You'll probably not get it back in the resale market.

All depends on your objective. And staying focused.

Good Luck!

MR2

Kevin108
November 23, 2007, 11:12 AM
The Brownells catalog will be your new best friend.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=315&sn=7

tbtrout
November 23, 2007, 03:00 PM
It is fun. If you are handy with tools and looking for a winter project, do it. I did one last year and am getting ready to do another one this year. For the cost you can buy a new one, but that might defeat the purpose oy why you want to build it. There are some 1911 specific tools that are recomended, so that ups your cost. But if you plan to do more then one go for it. I used an Essex frame and slide. I also bought parts from Fusion Firearms on line.

Good luck

pete f
November 24, 2007, 06:00 AM
Buy the Jerry Kuhnhausen book on the 1911, its the manual of how it works and why it works.

Check around too, you may find that one of the big time builders is having a build that 1911 class, C&S used to do it, and it was always considered well worth it.

Get your C&R license, as the 30 bucks you spend for 3 years, will get dealer pricing on Brownells and Midway, and this will save you the 30 dollars on the first order. Believe me, best deal in town.

If you enjoyed reading about "I am going in the near future to build a 1911 from ground up , any advise ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!