Most gun-friendly states?

PDA

Slater
July 19, 2003, 09:04 AM
Arizona for sure. Although we're uncomfortably close to **********.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most gun-friendly states?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Majic
July 19, 2003, 09:15 AM
Accept for our comic book based one gun a month law I say Virginia is right friendly toward firearms.

stevelyn
July 19, 2003, 09:32 AM
I won't make any claims for fear of an influx of carpet baggers. :D

peashooter
July 19, 2003, 10:11 AM
Most gun friendly???
Gotta be Tennessee. We honor ALL states permits and none of that one a month crap.

RTFM
July 19, 2003, 10:19 AM
peashooter Wow I did not know that, cool.

I was going to say Idaho, Montana and the Dakotas. Also Texas.

tiberius
July 19, 2003, 10:47 AM
Also Texas.

While I'm sure that Texas is better than many (most?) states, it is no where near the gun friendly state as popular mythology makes it to be. Its strongest point is that Long guns are pretty much unregulated, but you cannot carry a pistol anywhere without a CHL permit. Therefore open carry is completel'y forbidden unless for some "legitimate sporting purpose".

DrPsycho
July 19, 2003, 10:54 AM
Can't really make such broad generalisations. Even if at the state level politics impose/dictate less stringent gun control/laws/rules, a large part of the "gun friendliness culture" has to do with the people living in it. And as individuals are different, so are collective towns/counties/cities, etc etc.

kentucky bucky
July 19, 2003, 11:02 AM
Does Virginia honor other states' concealed carry permits?

I vote for Kentucky. We honor all permits from other states, although not all states with permits honor ours.:cuss:

telomerase
July 19, 2003, 11:26 AM
There's a lot of discussion on this on the Free State Project Forum. Alaska just adopted Vermont carry, which I think moved it up to the top.

Majic
July 19, 2003, 12:30 PM
Kentucky Buck,
We honor about 13 or 14 states permits, but unfortunately Kentucky isn't on the list (I think) even though you honor ours.

stevelyn
July 19, 2003, 12:48 PM
telomerase has spilt the beans:D

Alaska now has Vermont style carry in addition to the AK CHL and open carry. Honors CCW permits from every state that issues them. No restrictions on firearm sales/possession/types other than those imposed by the great benevolent father in DC. The same goes for Class III weapons and most Trooper Detachment commanders and police chiefs readily sign off on Class III applications. If one don't, the other will.
State Constitution wording was ammended a few years ago clarifying the "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" as an individual right.
State legislature along with local governments have passed resolutions condemning the USA PATRIOT Act ordering local and state law enforcement not to cooperate with the feds in Patriot Act investigations (Anchorage Assembly most recent).

Things left to do:

1) Get the legislature to pass a resolution similar to the one passed by Montana recognizing the importance armed citizens aka the militia, play in Homeland Security throughout the state.

2) Boot the Nazi Park Circus out of the state.

3) Take back land stolen by Jimmy Carter and congressional thieves through ANILCA.

4) Boot most of the Forest Circus, BLM, USFWS, and FAA and make them find real jobs.

5) Round up all the Enviro-Nazis and send them to ANWR for a primitive summer camp without mosquito repellent.

6) Commence punching holes in the 1002 (area # may be off) in the swampy, mosquito infested piece of real estate formerly known as ANWR, and let the black gold flow after Enviro-Nazis leave their summer camp (without mosquito repellent).

7) Welcome our Free State Project brothers and sisters to tie up any loose ends.

twoblink
July 19, 2003, 12:56 PM
tiberius,

I was at the Alamo..

and two guys at a bar across from it, (actually, it was around the corner) open-carried what has got to be, one of the biggest revolvers I've seen. Looked like 8" revolvers to me.. The barrel tip was almost to their knees..

I asked the cop I was talking to, if open carry in TX was legal. He said no; but then he said "I'm not going to arrest someone for having a gun on his hip next to the Alamo!" I thought that was very cool..

Alaska.. beautiful place; I'd love to visit..

Of course, I often wonder about some of the intelligence there (no offense) but one of the brochures I was reading; it said "please do not shoot at bears with handguns". and then went on detailed explaination of how "firing something like the standard 9mm caliber pistol will usually not kill a bear or wound it.." :rolleyes: If you think a 9mm is going to do an Alaskan black Dakota, you are dumb and deserve to be eaten..

RustyHammer
July 19, 2003, 01:00 PM
L O U I S I A N A

Ala Dan
July 19, 2003, 01:05 PM
Greeting's All-

While its not bad here in Alabama; you've gotta to LOVE
the new law in the great state of TENNESSEE, that our
friend peashooter spoke of. My wife and I have
family and friends in the Seiverville area, whereas we
travel a lot; so the new law really serves me well!;) :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

tiberius
July 19, 2003, 01:34 PM
Twoblink,

I was at the Alamo..

Dude, how old are you???? :)

Seriously, that was a funny comment from the cop, but I'm sure the guys you saw were LEOs also.

Also, Just curious....Where is Jung He City? Over that past 10 years or so, I have spent a considerable amount of time in Taiwan, mostly the Tai Chung area, on businees, but am not familiar with Jung He.

El Tejon
July 19, 2003, 03:01 PM
Go to the Brady Bunch's website thingy and see how the states rank. Their worst are our best.:D

Arizona, Idaho, Alaska, Wyoming, Tejas (lot of carry restrictions but has the rep thing going and if Texicanos make the Left mad, they make me happy), Joe-juh, Land of Orange (ammo tax thingy), Ol' Kentuck, Indiana, Penn's woods (state, not the cities), New Hampshire, Vermont are all good.

Hillman
July 19, 2003, 03:29 PM
I'm not from there, and maybe I'm oversimplifying, but I'd think VERMONT would be the friendliest, given they believe the 2nd Amendment is better than a carry permit.

Kenneth Lew
July 19, 2003, 05:55 PM
Why TEXAS of course.:evil: :neener:

http://www.vpc.org/studies/gunfive.htm

CRUSHER
July 19, 2003, 06:34 PM
Kentucky
We honor 21 states at this time

Moparmike
July 19, 2003, 06:34 PM
From what I hear Arkansas is gun-firendly on paper, but politically it sucks.

2nd Amendment from Arkansas State Constitution: "The citizens of this state shall have the right to keep and bear arms for their common defense."

From a gun standpoint TN looks pretty good, but I hear yall are taxed out the wazzoo. How many liberals you have out in those parts? I have 2 aunts that didnt seem that liberal before but it has really come out in the past year. They have been in TN for almost 20 years now.

Later,

El Tejon
July 19, 2003, 07:08 PM
CRUSHER, if you are going by reciprocity as your sole factor, then Indiana wins. Indiana honors all other states AND foreign countries.:cool:

boltaction
July 20, 2003, 10:14 AM
well, I have to cast my vote for my neighbors to the south - if only because they are so close to, and share a major metropolitan are with, THE POLICE STATE OF MARYLAND ---- and still are fairly rational about firearms.

I have a Utah concealed carry permit (which can be obtained by Marylanders without leaving the state) and it's recognized by the fine state of Va.

sorry for the biased vote, but you all understand....

Mastrogiacomo
July 20, 2003, 10:24 AM
No one's mentioned it yet, but I hear Long Island isn't too bad. Places outside of New York City I hear are fairly decent...but I'm told you can't carry in the city from Long Island. Not sure how much is accurate...

Hal
July 20, 2003, 11:44 AM
Throw out Cleveland, Cinci, Toledo and Columbus- - oh yeah,, Kent (home of Kent State) and their ban on barrel lengths of 2 1/2 " and under,,,throw out the lack of CCW,,throw out the classification of a 30 round magazine as being a Machine gun,,,,throw out the crime of "possesion of criminal tools" (What's defines a "Criminal tool? - Whatever they say can be used to commit a crime,,,basicly anything ),,,throw out the RINO's we have,, and Ohio isn't too bad. No scratch that,,Ohio still sucks despite the somewhat low score Brady gives it....

jeeze,,,I agree with Brady on something,,,(Ohio deserving a low score),,, :barf: ,,,,glad I'm old and going to die soon...

RickT
July 20, 2003, 11:51 AM
Don`t forget Georgia!

Easy to get CCW, reciprocity with many states.
:p

Pointman
July 20, 2003, 02:34 PM
I'll pipe up for Indiana. Our laws are quite liberal (in the Jeffersonian sense), we honor all permits as long as one is issued on paper (Sorry Vermont), we can have all the silencers, machineguns and evil black rifles we want, no waiting periods on purchases (except the class 3 stuff, of course), and CCW's are handed out more readily than drivers licenses.

firestar
July 20, 2003, 03:23 PM
glad I'm old and going to die soon...

Man, thats funny but kind of sad! Why don't you just move over here to Indiana? It is almost the same view but the laws were made by people that didn't want to be your MOTHER! Ohio does suck, I don't understand why it is so liberal and Indian is so conservative when they are so close together.

A few more good point about Indiana (the liberal gun laws are really the only good points to Indiana) are that you can buy a gun from a private party with no paper work at all and can sell also. It is a shall issue state so as long as you are not a felon or a nut case, they have to give you a permit. I like that law because I really don't think felons or crazy people need guns. They may need them but not for anything good.:D

There is no training or requirements to legal CCW here either. No qualifing with a certain gun or law that says you have to have a holster, nothing. You can carry ANY gun you want in any way you want without having to take a stupid course. Do I think that people should know how to use a gun safely? Yes, of course. You can't babysit everyone all the time. Leave it up to the individual.

Moparmike
July 20, 2003, 03:28 PM
How long do you have to live somewhere to establish residence? (says to self: "Hmmmmm", strokes chin, scratches head...)

CRUSHER
July 22, 2003, 09:17 PM
El Tejon
Thats great!
I think all states should follow suit
One permit nationwide!!

tetchaje1
July 22, 2003, 10:02 PM
UTAH!!!

CC is legal on all public school campuses, CC is legal for all state employees on the job who do not work in a courthouse, mental institution, or prison. CC is shall issue and accepts all valid permits from other states. No waiting period. No limitation on the number of guns a person can buy in a given period of time. NO 30.06 signs!!!! Class-III OK.

(Open carry is legal, but not generally accepted in the larger cities, so you may get a visit from the po-po if you do... :( However, it is so fast and painless to get a CHL (mine took 16 days) that CC is the better option anyway.

MeekandMild
July 22, 2003, 11:25 PM
I don't speak for the governments but if you get out of the big cities the people of Alabama, Mississippi, Northwest Florida and most of Louisiana are very gun friendly. Only time I ever got fingerprinted to buy a pistol was in Tennessee, couple of decades ago, but they seemed friendly enough. :D

Logistar
July 22, 2003, 11:28 PM
Kentucky should be near the top.

I was going to say Tennessee except that YOU CAN'T CARRY IN RESTAURANTS IN TENNESSEE!:cuss:

Logistar

willyjixx
July 22, 2003, 11:45 PM
no limits on how many you can buy.
no private party restrictions as long as one isnt a felon
no weird ammo taxes (knock on wood)
no cooling off periods
no restrictions except on class 3 and NFAs
easy CCW acquiring
recognized by some other states an recognizes some other states

Nevadas pretty good!

J. Parker
July 23, 2003, 01:36 AM
Washington State. Eastern Washington that is.:D Eastern Washington State has a massize pro-gun lobby. Western Washington State is another matter. A bunch of tree-huggers stress the rest of us out.
Shall issue state. I blast bunches of AK rounds off my deck. Sure, I live in the country but never a problem. I hear gunshots all the time. Best, John

RandyB
July 23, 2003, 03:01 PM
Indiana is friendly and I've never had a problem.

cameroneod
July 23, 2003, 03:36 PM
Alaska. Hands down. Id like to see one other state with such gun-friendly laws. :D

Lictalon
July 23, 2003, 03:53 PM
Vermont. No gun laws at all.
No need for a CCW permit. Open carry=good. Concealed carry=good. No age mimimum either...if Mom and Dad buy it for you, you can carry it.

NH isn't bad. Open carry is legal, a permit is $10.00 for four years, and it reciprocates with just about everyone. Maine is pretty close.

You big-west states always think you invented good gun laws. You were just lucky enough to get settled by a bunch of New Englanders! :neener:

Wil Terry
July 23, 2003, 04:48 PM
THE LAW IS SO CLEVERLY WRITTEN THOSE STATES HAFTA HONOR OUR CCW.
Open carry is legal, any good guy or gal can get a permit to carry concealed, and everyone here seems to be some sort of outdoorsperson. Several years ago I walked through nearly all of downtown Rapid City with a '86 45/70 in my hand [ I had just purchased it ] and nobody payed any attention to me whatsoever; just another cowboy and his guns.

Majic
July 23, 2003, 08:04 PM
THE LAW IS SO CLEVERLY WRITTEN THOSE STATES HAFTA HONOR OUR CCW.

Sorry Terry, but if you come to Virginia your permit is no good. Also our permits are not good there either unless there has been a recent update to the carry laws of your state.

powderific
July 23, 2003, 11:37 PM
Although Virginia does not seem to be listed as having reciprocity with South Dakota yet, any state that meets or exceeds our requirements can have reciprocity with us, and our requirements are not that stringent:

18 years-of age or older;
never pled guilty to, nolo contendere to, or been convicted of a crime of violence;
not habitually intoxicated or drugged;
no history of repeated acts of violence; and
has not been found in the previous ten years to be a "danger to others" or a "danger to self" as defined in ยง 27A-1-1 or is not currently adjudged mentally incompetent.
has been a resident of the county or municipality where the application is being made for at least thirty days.
has had no violations of chapter 23-7, firearms control, 22-14, unlawful use of weapons, or 22-42, controlled substances, marijuana, in the five years preceding the date of application.

Interestingly, our secretary of state page on concealed carry in SD has a link to Packing.org :D http://www.state.sd.us/sos/Firearms/index.htm

stevelyn
July 24, 2003, 09:06 AM
Hmmm..........it seems concerns about carpetbaggers were misplaced. Everybody's chasing after friendlier climates.

cameroneod
July 24, 2003, 09:09 AM
Vermont. No gun laws at all.

The only problem that I have with Vermont is that they provide no ccw at all. Thats fine if you never leave the state, but its a pretty small place. You dont need a permit in Alaska, but if you travel a lot you can still get one just for the reciprocity. Oh, yeah. We honor everyone elses permits also.

yesterdaysyouth
July 24, 2003, 04:30 PM
I was going to say Tennessee except that YOU CAN'T CARRY IN RESTAURANTS IN TENNESSEE!

WHAT??? :what: that's a load of pooty poo..... but i might want to remember that next time im in g-burg.... sure won't be anytime soon though.... what's up with that traffic??

If you enjoyed reading about "Most gun-friendly states?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!