Smith & Wesson M&P series

PDA

Slater
November 23, 2007, 02:15 PM
I have yet to handle one of these, but I've heard generally good reviews. Has this pistol had any significant bugs to be ironed out thus far?

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith & Wesson M&P series" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
evbutler462
November 23, 2007, 03:59 PM
If you are referring to the revolver, I started out my career in law enforcement with one around 40 years ago. Never heard of a problem with them. It is a shame that the police agencies have gone to plastic wonders instead of keeping these steel tanks. They served many a police agency well for several decades.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one unless S&W has allowed their qualty to decrease lately.

nitesite
November 23, 2007, 04:46 PM
Perhaps your question might be better placed in Handguns General Discussion or Autoloaders section, rather than in the Shotgun forum. Hopefully a Moderator will move it for you.

My experience with the new M&P Pistol has been from shooting a 17-shot 9mm 4.25", and a .40S&W Compact.

They are reliable and dependable, and reasonably accurate. Their build quality sems to be quite high. Their take-down procedure totally eliminates the chance of a negligent discharge from pulling the trigger.

The sub-compact .40 looks ridiculous with a tactical rail on it.

I'd actually love to own one, probably in 9mm.

Slater
November 23, 2007, 04:59 PM
Oops definitely the wrong forum. Wasn't paying attention, evidently. Mods, please move to appropriate forum.

XavierBreath
November 23, 2007, 05:25 PM
Done.

strat81
November 23, 2007, 05:38 PM
There were some reports of the slide rusting on some (as reported here on THR), but that's been seemingly ironed out. S&W currently has a $50 rebate plus two free mags on the M&P.

macanudo14
November 23, 2007, 06:07 PM
the reports I've seen that referred to the slide rusting, said that it only happened as a result of having it media blasted to remove the blueing.

armed85
November 23, 2007, 06:20 PM
I own the M&P full size 9mm and owned the M&P Compact .40 S&W.

My full size has been 100% reliable. At 5' 10" and 145 pounds, I can conceal this gun with a Comp-tac Infidel holster without having to resort to wearing a jacket. A regular teeshirt works well. I have zero issues with corrosion or rust though Comp-tac's holsters do protect the gun against sweat pretty well.

My Compact had magazine drop malfunctions. The magazine would drop out of the gun at random times without pressing the magazine release. A call to Smith & Wesson got me a UPS overnight shipping label to send the gun back. I had the gun back to me, shipping paid both ways, in 2 weeks. For my trouble, Smith & Wesson replaced the standard sights on my Compact with tritium night sights for free. I ended up selling my Compact because I did not like the recoil of .40 S&W.

Some observations and opinions I have on Smith & Wesson and the M&P:

The built-in frame tool is suppose to be used to disconnect the sear. This frame tool also holds the grip panels in place. This tool on both my full size and Compact is a pain in the butt to get out. When I called Smith & Wesson about the frame tool they told me the following:
The frame tool will loosen up with use. This is what we've found that works well: First, make sure the gun is unloaded. Second, place the flat edge of the frame tool against the edge of a hard surface like a kitchen table. Rotate the frame tool out of the grip by grasping the gun. This should give you more leverage.
The grip on both my full size and Compact is very comfortable. I use the "small" grip panel. I find the grip on the M&P series better than the grip on the Springfield XD series and a lot better than Glocks.
Smith & Wesson's customer service is very good. If you have a problem, they pay shipping both ways. The free night sights on my Compact was a big surprise.

Also, the current promotion for 2 free magazines and a $50 rebate is a great deal. After all is said and done I'll have a great 9mm pistol with four 17 round magazines for $450!

What's not to like about that?

Morgan
November 23, 2007, 06:42 PM
In handling and dry fire, they seem promising. The trigger could use some work.

When they start showing in IPSC/USPSA Production Division, I'll pay more attention. S&W knows the value of this, and I'm sure they'll slick up the gun, and we'll see what it can do against the more developed Production Division pistols (Glock and CZ set the bar, with the XD a bit back).

Koblenz
November 23, 2007, 07:06 PM
I rented a .40 M&P today at the range - the full size model. Really, I found it to handle no better than my Glock 23. There was no difference in felt recoil that I could tell.

I also tried out for the first time my .40 caliber S&W 4006, which I bought used. It is much heavier than a plastic framed pistol, and as a result, handles the recoil of the .40 cartridge much better. For example, I don't like to shoot the hotter +P .40 loads in my Glock 23, but in the 4006 they are no problem.

In short, I am glad I chose the 4006 over the .40 M&P. Steel beats plastic when it comes to absorbing recoil.

btg3
November 23, 2007, 11:34 PM
I've put 300 rds thru the M&P 9mm compact. No malfuntions. The weight and size are nice for carry (with a Fobus pancake holster). Recoil is comfortable and this pistol is very easy on the eyes. I have small hands and it was nice to have the 3 backstraps to get the best fit.

After shooting mine, my son also purchased the identical pistol. The current $50 rebate and 2 free magazines are a nice incentive. You can use either compact (12rd) or standard (17rd) magazines with the compact. A 6rd magazine extension is also available aftermarket.

Takedown is like a Glock. There's a video on u-tube of teenager who strips it down and re-assembles in just a few minutes -- while blindfolded.

Out-of-the box, windage was off 2" at 7yds on my pistol, so I adjusted the rear sight. My son's needed no adjustment.

Reportedly it is easy to do a complete, or partial, trigger job on the pistol, but I haven't felt the need.

The Lone Haranguer
November 23, 2007, 11:37 PM
No problems to report with my 9mm compact.

revolverman357
November 24, 2007, 12:00 AM
I bought the 9MM full size, sent back to S&W after 300 rounds first week I had it for stovepiping and jamming. Got it back, still jams once in a while, but not like it did. However, I love the feel of the gun and it is accurate. I will keep it and hopefully it will run smoother as time goes on. I have about 800 rounds through it now.

D-Man
November 24, 2007, 12:20 PM
I bought a M&P45 last week, and with one range visit under its belt, no problems to report.

One thing to keep in mind is that S&W has what's probably considered the best customer service in the gun industry. If there is a problem, they'll do everything they can to fix it - at their expense.

simpleguy
November 24, 2007, 05:47 PM
I have an M&P 40 full size, it is an earlier edition and I bought it used. First thing I did was send it to a local gunsmith for a trigger job. I have heard of the mags dropping, but I have no experience with it. You can get it with or without a mag disconnect safety, mine has one and since the 9mm and .40 have no manual safety it's just fine with me. Love the gun, I use a Ted Blocker DA3 IWB Holster and my wife doesn't even know when I am carrying, even in a T-shirt. I am 5'4" and 170lb. This gun is so slim, I use the small backstrap and it just goes anywhere.

DHart
November 25, 2007, 05:18 AM
I have a M&P 40 Compact and have had numerous mag drop problems, even with numerous replacement mag catches. On the third and last trip to S&W, they replaced the frame. So far I've got a couple of hundred rounds without a mag drop. But in light of my experience, I will need 1500 rounds or so followed by an examination of the mag catch to see that no significant wear has occurred before I will trust the gun. It has a great feel in the hand, excellent recoil absorption, accurate, reliable running aside from the mag drop problem. I believe the mag drop issue is mostly (but not entirely) associated with the sharp recoiling .40 caliber in the compact frame. S&W has excellent customer service and are to be applauded for the customer service they provide.

During all of the problems with my 40 Compact I bought a Glock 23 which I find to be comparable in size/concealability and my Glock 23 has proven to be stone reliable, accurate, durable, and has significantly better capacity (14 rounds in the 23 vs. 11 rounds in the M&P 40 Compact). Right now my Glock 23 is my primary ccarry gun and my M&P 40 Compact is a "test gun" residing mostly in my safe. Over time, it may well re-earn my trust. But at this time, I'm such a lover of my Glock 23 that the M&P has a long ways to go to equal the reliability and durability of the Glock. I like the M&P a lot, but the mag catch is just waaaay too sensitive for my liking.

A trip here:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=7c82c82b6744d0f7ddef7190c5ad9222

will show that mag catch sensitivity has been a problem for a number of owners.

Overall, I think the M&P may be a much more reliable platform in 9mm than in .40.

Mortech
November 25, 2007, 05:02 PM
Early adopter of the M&P40 , haven't had any real problems with it . The only quirk I've seen is that mine will consistantly shoot low and to the right with 165 gr ammo but dead on with 180gr so I picked my carry ammo accordingly . I normally carry mine in a Bladetech IWB holster at 3:30 position .

DHart
November 25, 2007, 05:15 PM
Mortech... yours is a full size 40? I think the 40 Compact is the most susceptible to the mag drop problem, but it has occurred with full size nines and forties as well.

Mortech
November 25, 2007, 05:37 PM
Mine is a full size 40 , Like I said earlier no mag release problems , no finish issues I guess I got one of the good early ones .

FieroCDSP
November 25, 2007, 08:38 PM
I have an MPH series full-size 40. I love the thing. I shoot local IDPA every now and then with it. Never a malfunction in the shoots, though I have had issues with some of my own loads in it. Largely fixed by learning a few things about 40 loads. I've never had a mag-drop, rust, or failure with factory ammo. I can conceal it fairly well, but I'm a little on the spare-tire side. It's a great shooter for the price.

Give one a try. You might like it. :eek:

FunYet
November 25, 2007, 11:01 PM
I rented a 9mm compact when they first came out. It was OK but it didn't make we want to buy one. A fw weeks ago I had another chance to shoot a 9mm compact and boy was it a tack driver. Maybe I was just having a good day at the range but I was getting very tight groups at point of aim. I ended up buying one and am very happy with it. I have about 500 round through it so far.

Black Adder LXX
November 25, 2007, 11:06 PM
I have the 9c and love it. I've put close to 1000 rounds through it and have had no issues whatsoever. I'm actually looking at the big brother next. I love the ambidextrous slide release and reversable mag release.

texagun
November 25, 2007, 11:25 PM
I've got the full-size MP40 and it's been a great gun. I'm aware of some problems others, such as DHart, has experienced but mine has been flawless to date. I swapped a Glock 22 for it and have never regretted it. Better ergonomics, better grip, better sights, nicer magazines, lifetime warranty, excellent cusomer service, and made-in-America. I like it.

Chris Rhines
November 25, 2007, 11:31 PM
I have two 4.25" 9mm M&Ps. I'm coming up on 8000 rounds between them. They have been accurate and reliable, when run with quality ammunition*. I've never had a magazine drop that I didn't cause**. I did have a rust problem on M&P #1, after my Dad left his disgusting sweaty Tilley hat on top of my pistol overnight. The rust cleaned up with a bit of fine bronze wool, and has not been a problem since.

I shoot my M&Ps in USPSA Production, and have done fairly well with them (made A class last month, and took 2nd B Production at the 2007 Area 8 Championship.) Lately I've been seeing more and more M&Ps at the matches.

Buy one.

* - I had, earlier in the season, a problem with failures to feed on both M&Ps. I traced the problem back to a big glob of crud in the powder measure on my reloader, which was causing intermittent light charges. Fun and games...

** - For what it's worth, I'm convinced that most of the people who are having the magazine drop problem are accidentally tripping the magazine release with their weak hand, during recoil.

- Chris

rallyhound
November 26, 2007, 12:22 AM
I am a little confused about the rusting problems some describe.
My full size 40 is black but the slide is stamped stainless.
What exactly is rusting?

rallyhound
November 26, 2007, 12:23 AM
What exactly is rusting?

rallyhound
November 26, 2007, 12:25 AM
What exactly is rusting?

armed85
November 26, 2007, 01:34 AM
For what it's worth, I'm convinced that most of the people who are having the magazine drop problem are accidentally tripping the magazine release with their weak hand, during recoil.

Negative.

Over at the mp-pistol.com forum, the magazine drop malfunction is an topic that comes up a lot. Many people are experiencing this malfunction and when I was dealing with Smith & Wesson's customer service they admitted to me that this was a known issue with the M&P Compact.

The solution, last I heard, is a newer magazine catch. The metal of the magazine is harder than the metal of the older magazine catch, so wear would cause the catch to fail. The newer mag catch is suppose to prevent this wear.

One interesting thing I noticed on my full size is that more force is required to press the magazine release than it was on my Compact. I suspect that the spring is heavier or stronger which seems like a good idea. However, I do not know if newer M&Ps have a different spring than the older M&Ps.

In regards to rust, see this thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=279721

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n78/daravon/DSCF1182.jpg

rallyhound, all the metal used on the M&P is stainless steel. The Melonite treatment or process is then applied over the stainless steel for hardness and corrosion resistance. If this treatment or process is not done correctly, or if the thin treated surface is bead blasted away as some people have done, the gun is not as corrosion resistant.

All stainless steel guns can rust as it is not stain proof, but merely stain less.

I suspect this indicates a problem somewhere in the production process. With minimal care, the M&P should not rust.

The bottom line is that if you buy an M&P now you are an early adopter. The gun is not as proven as the XD or Glock which are its main competitors.

That does not mean the M&P is a bad gun. It's a very good gun and Smith & Wesson is doing a very good job of handling the issues that have come up.

I received free night sights with my M&P Compact while others have received free magazines for their trouble. The techs on the phone were polite and professional with me regarding my Compact.

In the end, I bought an M&P full size and an M&P Compact and I am happy with both. The only reason I sold the Compact was because I do not like .40 S&W and I can conceal the full size with a good holster.

FieroCDSP
November 26, 2007, 05:51 AM
Also, some people simply have acid for sweat. Not as scary as acid for blood, but to a gun, it's murder. Most of the M&P rusting can be traced to acidic sweat w/ lack of routine maintainance, and/or a bad metal treatment run. Smith has done everything possible to take care of those folks.

I'm starting to feel left out. Everyone is getting free mags and night sights. All I got is this stupid, problem-free gun. :D

texagun
November 26, 2007, 09:40 AM
Apparently there was one run of guns that were improperly finished. There is a lot of information at www.mp-pistol.com. S&W will refinish these guns and pay postage both ways. Their customer service is excellent.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith & Wesson M&P series" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!