Two of the exact same guns?

PDA

twoblink
January 10, 2003, 03:50 AM
I think I will get a second gun that's exactly the same as my first one (Steyr M40) same magazines, I know all the controls of it.. One for each hip..

Anybody else do this? Some tell me "you already have one, buy something different" but I love low logistics...

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Two of the exact same guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
January 10, 2003, 04:09 AM
IMO, Smart Thinking, especially CCW

I believe when you find the gun that fits, reliable, in a large enough caliber that allow quick effective hits--stick with it. Buy a second in the event you need it. I agree with keeping it simple.

I like to shoot other platforms, calibers as much as the next person, but I have MY CCW selected. I also prefer to stay with a particular MOA, if I carry a BUG I stay with same or simpler platform. I've snicked off the lever on 1911 styles so long I 'snick' them off revolvers, or DAO semi's.

That's why I have nothing against some very fine guns, but for CCW I don't want to have to think -'up or down', "DA/SA"," Decock'.

WESHOOT2
January 10, 2003, 05:01 AM
Great idea; recommend at least two pairs (of something).

And lotsa ammo / mags..........

New_comer
January 10, 2003, 05:58 AM
Nah...

I'd be buying something different.

As variety will add spice to my 'collection',

Though I do see the advantage of your 'redundancy' principle. ;)

schild
January 10, 2003, 07:55 AM
I have 4-1911's, 2-P7M8's, 2-AR15's, and thinking about a 2nd CZ.

PCRCCW
January 10, 2003, 09:01 AM
You mean like this?
Shoot well

Kahr carrier
January 10, 2003, 09:22 AM
Hey Eric nice pair of Czs.:)

GLOCKT
January 10, 2003, 09:34 AM
Close;
Glock-22
Glock-22c

cslinger
January 10, 2003, 09:52 AM
Variety is the spice of life. It makes great sense from a defensive, "tactical" point of view but come on chances are none of us will ever use our weapons in anger and if we do and that one gun gets tied up for a time what are the chances of it happening again.

What we all do do on a regular basis is shoot for fun, clean them for fun, admire them etc. Hence variety being the spice of life.

To each their own. Then again those Steyrs are really cheap through CDNN so what the hey, go for it.

Chris

cordex
January 10, 2003, 11:22 AM
El Tejon will love this thread.
But he typically suggests 4 of each serious gun.
Chris might say 6.

Cordex says he can't afford that kind of duplication yet.

AndABeer
January 10, 2003, 11:38 AM
found a pistol that worked very well for me as a carry piece, i got a second as soon as i could find one, altough one is now off getting a dark refinish so they aren't exactly the same anymore, or won't be anyway

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/pc151bcbd5da61c7a87b43d932303a984/fd745d17.jpg

Sean Smith
January 10, 2003, 11:40 AM
I'd say that it is worthwhile to have two very similar guns as your primary weapons. The thinking here is that at some point ANY gun WILL break at some point. So you ought to have a weapon to take its place with the same controls, trigger pull, sights, ergonomics, and so forth. Not necessarily identical, but fundamentally the same from the point of view of how you operate it.

My only caveat would be to make sure that you really know exactly what your preferences are, so you don't have 2 guns and later decide that they aren't your cup of tea.

sm
January 10, 2003, 11:54 AM
Sean Smith
I agree.
Also nice to have mags /speedloaders that interchange.
Be it 1911 or K frame.
Practice, training, competition. Whether its SD or Competition, one can keep doing what they have been with confidence and familiarity.
Especially SD, not a good time to learn a transition of MOA

ajacobs
January 10, 2003, 12:08 PM
Holy cow re1973 you posted an average of 31 posts a day and over 500 posts already!

I am addictided to duplicates, in addition to having many near duplicates such as slightly different 1911's or glock 26 and 27 I have exact matches of

glock 19
glock 36
glock 30
HK p7m8
kahr k9 elites
argentine 1927's
colt sheriffs models
kahr p9's
ruger blackhawks in .357
s&w 642
plus to exact ar's

Kframe
January 10, 2003, 12:16 PM
Sure, and a belt and holster set complements a brace nicely.
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jan/20031106454137079489255.jpg
:) -Kframe

El Tejon
January 10, 2003, 12:17 PM
twoblink, if you need to get it out of your system, go out and buy a bunch of different guns. Later when you decide upon a pistol, buy 4 of that pistol.

10-Ring
January 10, 2003, 12:18 PM
Not exactly the same, but close...Idea being similar triggers, controls & pointing characteristics.

Chipperman
January 10, 2003, 12:21 PM
I have two P7M13's, but all the others in my collection are "unique".

Chris Rhines
January 10, 2003, 12:55 PM
Cordex, neither can I. I only have two CZ-75s right now. The shame... :(

I only say six for guns that see a lot of day-to-day use (and two or three of them should be cached away from home. Paranoid? Nah.)

I come at this from a slightly different perspective. I'm a shooter, not a collector. I gain little pleasure from owning a lot of guns, I'd rather have a few guns and be able to use them really well. With that in mind, I like to have identical spare guns around so I'm not unarmed when one breaks. Not if, when.

In other words, yes, get a second identical gun.

- Chris

Tamara
January 10, 2003, 01:32 PM
twoblink, if you need to get it out of your system, go out and buy a bunch of different guns.

Believe it or not, I know folks older than you and I together who don't seem to have "gotten it out of their system" yet... Go figure. :)

I keep harping on this, El T, because I find it odd that someone who doesn't believe in the One True Sword does believe in the One True Philosphy. :eek:

Not every gun is bought for the purpose of wringing it out at Gunsite. Honest... ;)

oscar
January 10, 2003, 01:33 PM
Let me count;

3 1911'S
2 Smith 57's
2 Smith 19's
2 Remington 1100's
2 Ruger Sec Sixes
2 BHP's
2 Smith 36's

Tamara
January 10, 2003, 01:34 PM
G29/G30.

4 assorted 1911's.

Multiple J-, K-, L-, and N-frame Smiths.

See? It's possible to collect and have functional overlap at the same time. :D

4v50 Gary
January 10, 2003, 01:58 PM
I prefer a Randall southpaw on the left hip and the Colt 1911A1 on the right. That way the shells fly in both directions.

El Tejon
January 10, 2003, 02:38 PM
Tam, oh, geez, I'm not trying to take anyone's fun away. Own whatever you wish, as many as you wish. More guns in the hands of the citizenry the better, no matter the motive for ownership.

If clarity as to the reason of "why" one owns firearm is sought, then focus is needed. Besides, it's just my opinion. You, the THR jury, are free to accept these arguments or reject these arguments as you see fit.

BTW, there is a True Philosophy, but many roads to it.:D

10-Ring
January 10, 2003, 02:44 PM
functional overlap

I need to get me some a'dat! :evil:

sm
January 10, 2003, 02:49 PM
Only problem I see with twoblink getting pairs of his guns is jealousy. I mean he kisses one and not the other...likley to 'jam' [pun intended] him up.:D

BigG
January 10, 2003, 02:51 PM
Worked for Josey Wales. Pair of Walker Colts. :cool:

Skunkabilly
January 10, 2003, 03:20 PM
I believe in similar manual of arms but it doesn't have to be the exact same thing. 92G Elite II and 92GSD will go together fine.

As for CCW, I don't have a CCW (yet), but if I do, I doubt I can afford another P7 until the end of the year.

Trisha
January 10, 2003, 05:53 PM
Back when life was far more actively stressful, I carried the same make & model at shoulder, strong-side hip and weak-hand SOB.

Now I only want matched pairs for the fun of it - though everything has multiple leather options...

Trisha

Nightcrawler
January 10, 2003, 06:50 PM
I'm currently wanting to add more variety to my handgun collection. I have one big revolver and one big semiauto; I need a small .45 and a snubby revolver (in .45 Colt).

I also need a 1911, that MPA-10 semiauto MAC-10 clone (takes Grease Gun mags!), a Single Action in .45 Colt, maybe some kind of little European pocket rocket (like a Walther PPK or CZ-83), a CZ-52, and that's all the handguns I can think of off of the top of my head, heh.

But yeah; it's good you have two identical (or near) pistols. How else can you have two-fisted, akimbo guns of justice? How else are you going to dive to the side while firing wildly, dropping multiple nameless henchmen while looking good?

Carbon_15
January 10, 2003, 07:31 PM
Yep

concerned citizen
January 10, 2003, 08:28 PM
Here are two.

twoblink
January 10, 2003, 08:28 PM
Didn't you see "Last Man Standing"? There is a lot to be said for the same gun in both hands..

Tamara... what you advocate is just nuts.. so I'll probably follow that. :D

El T, 4 of each? Sure... I can do that... Good thing I picked a gun that's relatively cheap to work with... Can you imagine 4 P7's?? ouch!

Nice CZ's...

Bainx
January 10, 2003, 08:41 PM
Have two of the same. Two, 22short derringers. Single shot.
One of them, I have yet to shoot.

Justin
January 10, 2003, 11:38 PM
BTW, there is a True Philosophy, but many roads to it.Good thing Ayn's dead, otherwise she just might whap you upside your noggin! (But then, she was a tad bit on the crazy side.)

I do agree that multiple copies of the same model is a good idea, especially for defensive guns. Though I doubt I'll be able to do that until I have at least one gun to fill in each niche that I have open. (Almost have pistols covered, then a couple more rifles, and then the shotguns.)

After that, it will be time to send in the clones.

(With the exception of a Mateba. I will have a Mateba one day. Oh yes. Mateba.)

P-35/53
January 11, 2003, 01:37 AM
Intresting question - I have 3 1911's , 3 Hi-Powers and 2 Colt 380 Goverment models. Also have 2 Model 10 's and two 5 inch Ruger Bull barrel MKII's.

Double Naught Spy
January 11, 2003, 10:54 AM
Two of the same is a fine idea. I just haven't gotten to the point where I need to duplicate guns yet. I don't have two of the exact same gun, but I do have 3 sizes of 1911 that are all decked out with the same sorts of bells and whistles. They all have the same basic feel, same controls, same basic sight picture. I don't have two of the same size, but I do have a versatile size range to work with and switching between guns never means having to keep track different controls.

twoblink
January 11, 2003, 11:19 AM
I think 2 major items:

First: Familiarity with the controls..

Second: Compatible magazines...

So even if the guns are different sizes, being from the same "family" is very important for the two reasons stated above.

(you hear that HK?? COMPATIBLE MAGAZINES... How do you say compatible magazines in German???)

QB
January 11, 2003, 06:01 PM
I have "more than 2" Colt Special Combat Government Competitions.....but I don't consider them dulplicates since they are made in different years (well that's my justification for buying them anyway :rolleyes: ). Other than 2 which seem identical, each of the others have a little something different. But yes, same models.

Also have duplicate Sphinx AT380Ms, Sphinx AT2000 Police Specials, and Colt Pony Pocketlites.

Duplicate Beretta models I've had: Custom Carry, Custom Carry II, Compact Inox, Billenium.

I've even bought a certain gun, sold it, then bought another one just like it!!!!! Pretty pathetic huh???

HS/LD
January 11, 2003, 06:03 PM
Great idea!

and if the sh*t really hits the fan you at least have all the spare parts you need.

HS/LD

modifiedbrowning
January 11, 2003, 06:44 PM
Yes, two of them. That's why I bought another P99.

Duke of Lawnchair
January 11, 2003, 09:22 PM
The best reason to owning two of the same firearm is...

...because you can!

JohnKSa
January 11, 2003, 10:54 PM
I generally duplicate my "serious" guns since I figure that they will be confiscated in the event of a self-defense shooting.

I'd hate to have to switch guns or be forced to go out and buy another one in a hurry so I can carry a familiar gun.

Also, occasionally I will buy a second gun if it's a milsurp gun I really like that isn't being made anymore. Especially the lower production volume guns like the CZ-52 pistols.

Peter M. Eick
January 12, 2003, 10:42 AM
Of my carry gun, I have 2. I carry an H&K P7. The only difference between the 2 is that one is tefloned and gets carried more and the 2nd one is a backup in case the first one breaks etc. I do not carry any other gun for CCW unless it is very special circumstances (like having to wear a suit, then the little gov 380 comes out).

GeorgeH
January 12, 2003, 10:46 AM
I think a pair of the same firearms is an excellent form of a NY reload.

:D

Double Naught Spy
January 12, 2003, 02:03 PM
GeorgeH, what an astute sentiment!!!! That sounds like a pretty darn justifiable reason to NEED to have two of the very same gun!

GeorgeH
January 12, 2003, 05:13 PM
As I've always said: One cannot own too many firearms.

Blackhawk
January 12, 2003, 07:11 PM
Yep.

Especially CCWs.

Training carries over.

JeepDriver
January 12, 2003, 07:55 PM
Not yet!!

I'm hoping to add another 686-1 and another Hi-Power to my collection.

But they have to wait until after I get a 226 and a 229.

happy old sailor
January 12, 2003, 10:45 PM
i try not to, but, when i run into a deal i cannot resist, what do i do: i don't resist. even the ugly ones are beautiful.

i don't worry about my gun habit driving me to the poorhouse.
the guys in the white coats will here any day.

Alan Fud
January 12, 2003, 11:55 PM
To answer the original question: Three of these ...
http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f23.jpg
... 3913

Two of these ...
http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f10.jpg
... 4006

Two of these ...
http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f22.jpg
... 342

Two of these ...
http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f24.jpg
... 4513

Two of these ...
http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f25.jpg
... 4013

Etc. ;)

Skunkabilly
January 13, 2003, 01:45 AM
Wow. That's a lot of guns that say the T word on it!

MrPink
January 13, 2003, 08:30 AM
Let's see, my favorite handguns are the HK P7, S&W Centennial and the 1911.

I own 6 P7s - 2 PSPs, 2 M8s, 1 M13 and an M10. In the process of buying another PSP.

I own 4 Centennials - a 640, 642, and a pair of 340PDs

1911s? good lord, maybe a dozen along with a few frames that are works-in-progress.

I believe in hoarding. :)

iamkris
January 13, 2003, 09:32 AM
I get my matched set of
Ruger Vaquero's out

.45 Colt
shiny stainless
5-1/2" barrels
ivory grips

and put 'em in some San Pedro Saddlery Mexican Two-Loop holsters -- one right hand strong side and one cross draw. Add one liberal dose of Winchester 92 and a Win97 pump and yee-haw!

mowgli
January 13, 2003, 09:58 AM
I have an occasional, strange desire to put a pair of SIG P229s in one of these.

http://www.bellcharteroakholsters.com/nyrnew.JPG

from Bell Charter Oak (http://bellcharteroakholsters.com/index.htm)

Very John Woo.

charleym3
January 13, 2003, 11:44 AM
Yes, I have a matched pair of the guns that I shoot in competition, and twins of the gun that I carry, in case one should break down.

HarryRod
January 13, 2003, 11:58 AM
I would love to have another Charles Daly DDA 10-45 but it took me forever to find the one I have. Also, since they are discontiinued it would make it alot easier to find parts if I had a spare.

larryw
January 14, 2003, 06:15 PM
Outside a couple 1911s, the closest I have in duplication is my USP 45F and USP 45 Expert. I want my collection to be a good cross-section of guns and will base part of my next-purchase decision on it being different.

Jeff OTMG
January 14, 2003, 10:37 PM
I have been known to carry a matched pair of 3" S&W mod 65's. I also have a pair of SIG P225's, but do not have a way to carry both together.

farscott
January 15, 2003, 06:48 PM
4 Ruger SP-101's in .357 Mag

2 1911's and 3 Commanders in .45 ACP

I am a big believer in redundancy in concealed-carry weapons, for mechanical reasons, reflexive handling, training, and (God forbid) in the event one actually gets used in a defensive situation. If the latter happens, that gun is evidence, and I probably will never see it again outside a courtroom.

Multiple copies of a carry gun are also helpful when taking classes when lots of rounds are fired. I did have a 1911 go south in one class. Luckily I had another pistol with me.

Like Trisha, I have leather to support a variety of carry options for the SP-101's and Commanders.

FPrice
January 15, 2003, 07:07 PM
Some 20-25 years ago I remember reading some advice that one should always own an exact duplicate of your carry gun. In case the first breaks, is taken as evidence, is lost, etc., etc. I have taken this to heart (and beyond) and try to have a duplicate of EVERY gun I own! It's as good a reason as any to keep buying more guns.

Maddock
January 17, 2003, 02:53 AM
I’ll modify similar handguns to make them alike – stocks, sights, controls, action smoothing, etc. I have some 1911s that vary in size and weight, but all have almost identical “feel”. I’ve done the same with some “K” and “N” frame revolvers. Part of it is commonality of use, but much of it is just I’ve found what I like.

twoblink
January 17, 2003, 07:55 AM
The "in a crunch, and one breaks down, you can use it as spare parts support for the on other one" is an angle I hadn't thought about but makes PERFECT sense..

Also, logistics is easier to deal with..

Smoke
January 17, 2003, 12:27 PM
I remember one similar to this on TFL...

I bought a P14.45 Limited aehile back that matches one I already had. Main reason I bought the second was it was too cheap to pass up. But I do love the P14.

I also have a pair of Cimmarron Outlaws in .45LC so I can play cowboy with a fancy two-gun rig.

As others have posted..I like the logistics of sticking with what works for you.

I love the P14 but it can be hard to conceal. So I bought a Kimber Ultra Carry CDP. It was a little small for my hand so I bought a Springfield Champion (4"). Then I wanted a "deep cover" gun so I got a COlt Gov't .380. All have the same sights, all have the safety in the same place. So I don't have to think about it if I need it.

sturmruger
January 17, 2003, 04:36 PM
Two Blink, I would definetly recomend gettting a second Steyr. You probably saw my post earlier about my Steyr Collection. I bought the M9 loved it so much I had to buy the M40. Then CDNN lowered the price of the S40 to $399. That was the last straw. I had to have a complete set. I know what you are going to say now. "What about the .357 Sig??" That is where I am going to have to draw the line. I think I am just going to buy the .357 Sig barrel. My wife would flip if I had four guins that were exactly the same, in her eyes. I am the best shot with the M40 I think that is because it has the Trapazoidal sites. My m9 has the regualr 3 dot night sites and are more difficult to shoot in the daylight. Good luck!!

Baron Holbach
January 17, 2003, 05:02 PM
Not quite an exact match, but I have the Beretta 92FS in blue AND inox.

FPrice
January 17, 2003, 05:35 PM
"The "in a crunch, and one breaks down, you can use it as spare parts support for the on other one" is an angle I hadn't thought about but makes PERFECT sense.."

Well, I guess you COULD do that...

But why not use the second as it is instead?

And, if you want spare parts, then buy spare parts. The idea of having an exact duplicate is so that you will have a "ready-to-go" spare. Using one as a parts source is an expensive way to do it.

twoblink
January 19, 2003, 11:44 AM
What I meant was, if both guns are non-operational due to lack of spare parts, alone, I might have no guns that are functional, but together via salvage from both guns, I might be able to form at least one functional gun..

I love my Steyr though, really...

Might want to get my gf a pair of CZ's though, so she can be very Rally Vincent...

Skunkabilly
January 19, 2003, 12:16 PM
When Janie comes, maybe you can re-evaluate your Steyr, or put it in semi-retirement, and you two can figure on logistics between the two of you?

What else takes CZ magazines, isn't she leaning towards HK?

MADDOG
January 19, 2003, 06:14 PM
One Bulgie Mak IWB

Another Bulgie Mak inside saddle bag of Harley

CZ-83 for a spare

CZ-40b just in case

twoblink
January 19, 2003, 10:58 PM
With the addition of Janie, does this mean I'll need 4 Steyrs??

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Two of the exact same guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!