Barnaul .223 ammo

PDA

Crow1108
November 23, 2007, 04:12 PM
I was wondering how Barnaul's .223 ammo is. Pretty good value, or just junk? I wanna buy some bulk ammo to keep around, but I don't want to go for the Wolf. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Barnaul .223 ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onmilo
November 23, 2007, 04:37 PM
In my experience it has been better than Wolf.
No chamber jams and acceptable plinking and practice accuracy.

rcmodel
November 23, 2007, 04:57 PM
It's still steel-case Russian crap though.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

forrestd
November 23, 2007, 05:25 PM
It's still steel-case Russian crap though.

Which is why it costs half as much as high quality ammo. ;) It works great for plinking.

geojap
November 23, 2007, 06:20 PM
I have never had any failures with it. I can shoot a 30 round mag into a 4 inch circle at 100 yards in my Saiga .223. I think it is very good range or day to day ammo. I think it is a great buy considering the price.

wcwhitey
November 23, 2007, 07:51 PM
I look for it when I need to go inexpensive. I have found it to be very good, accurate enough and cleaner than Wolf.

DMK
November 23, 2007, 08:07 PM
I've never shot steel cased .223, but I've found Barnual to be better than Wolf or Silver Bear in 7.62x39 and 9x18. It's more consistent, groups better, and is cleaner.

LeibstandarteAdH
November 23, 2007, 09:26 PM
I recently got 500 rounds of the Barnual nickel plated .223 JHP from AIM for $209 or something like that, that has ran much much better than wolf through an STG-2003c (.223 AK) and a bushy M4.

I have not had one single jam or anything of the sort in the .223 ak with a full 500 round box of the nickel plated JHP.

Deer Hunter
November 23, 2007, 10:43 PM
Barnaul is great stuff. My saiga loves it. I've got around 300 rounds of that, plus about that same amount of Wolf.

Gary G23
November 24, 2007, 08:50 AM
As far as steel cased commie ammo goes it is the best of the breed.

Some guns will work fine with steel cased ammo, some won't. I had a Bushmaster that I put 10,000 rounds of Barnual through and only broke one extractor. I sold it and got a LMT. It wouldn't fire two rounds without an empty case getting stuck in the chamber.

I would try it before I bought a bunch.

aka108
November 24, 2007, 11:01 AM
OK for the money. I think if someone loaded up my AK or Saiga with a mixture of the Russian brands I would not know the difference when firing.

MD_Willington
November 24, 2007, 02:13 PM
My saiga likes it, but it's a Russian gun too... it also likes .223 HSM brass cased...

salty
November 24, 2007, 02:17 PM
It is great Saiga foodder. Basically the same as wolf for your AR - dirty and so so accuracy.

rcmodel
November 24, 2007, 02:20 PM
Commie Ammo is for Commie Guns! :neener:

rcmodel

Onmilo
November 24, 2007, 04:11 PM
Yeah,,,,thing is,,, this stuff isn't Chinese, it is Russian and they don't play under the communist doctrine anymore though Putin and his merry band are pushing the envelope.

LeibstandarteAdH
November 24, 2007, 06:11 PM
I wasnt aware that the russian federation didnt still have an active and dominate communist party.

rcmodel
November 24, 2007, 06:23 PM
I wasn't aware the state owned & run arsenals weren't the ones still making all the Russian ammo.

It may not be a Communist country any longer, but it is still the same old Communist factories, making it on the same old Communist machinery, to the same old Communist specs.

rcmodel

seektruth
November 24, 2007, 11:26 PM
If I hadn't started reloading, I'd still be buying more Barnaul. It works fine for me.

MIL-DOT
November 24, 2007, 11:48 PM
as i understand, barnaul makes brown bear ammo ( and the others too,silver and gold bear). is there any difference in the barnaul and bear labeled stuff?

geojap
November 24, 2007, 11:54 PM
Mil-dot, I use some .223 Barnaul and Silver Bear in my Saiga and Sig 556 rifles. Both work just fine and I can't find anything wrong with it or any difference between them.

Deer Hunter
November 24, 2007, 11:58 PM
Mildot,

My dad swears that the Golden bear 30-06 I ordered for him is the hottest 30-06 he's ever shot, if that makes any difference.

MachIVshooter
November 25, 2007, 03:08 PM
I've run it in my AR-10 with no problems. I keep a spare extractor on hand. At half the price for a case vs. brass stuff, I don't mind if I have to replace a $30 extractor from time to time.

LeibstandarteAdH
November 25, 2007, 09:44 PM
as i understand, barnaul makes brown bear ammo ( and the others too,silver and gold bear). is there any difference in the barnaul and bear labeled stuff?

Depending on caliber and lot, the 'bear' ammo is a toss up between Barnual, Ulyanovsk and even sometimes Vympel.

MIL-DOT
November 25, 2007, 10:48 PM
thanks guys.....i'm refering to 7.62x39 brown bear i just ordered from AIM. i recently read some off-hand reference to the " hit and miss of barnaul ammo" or something to that effect, and was hoping i didn't just order a case of questionable ammo.
and to the OP, sorry, i hope i didn't side-track your thread !!!:D

ArfinGreebly
November 25, 2007, 10:50 PM
I have heard from them what knows better than I, that it can be bad juju for your meant-for-brass-cases American extractor to be asked to grab on steel cases too much.

I are not expert on this, but it rings true.

I will, of course, bow to anyone with actual experience, say, 50,000 miles on their extractor shooting steel-cased stuff.

MachIVshooter
November 25, 2007, 11:09 PM
I have heard from them what knows better than I, that it can be bad juju for your meant-for-brass-cases American extractor to be asked to grab on steel cases too much.

I are not expert on this, but it rings true.

I will, of course, bow to anyone with actual experience, say, 50,000 miles on their extractor shooting steel-cased stuff.

It's true. The steel stuff is hard on extractors. But I can buy ten extractors for what I save on one case of ammo buying Barnaul vs. Federal or Winchester.

So, who cares if you have to replace an extractor after 2k or 3k rounds? It's a $30 part and a 5 minute procedure.

It should be noted that I have not yet broken one.

stubbicatt
November 25, 2007, 11:24 PM
It works just fine in any firearm I've shot it through. I love the old Golden Bear ammo I bought a few years ago in x39. Still have half a case I don't want to shoot. To look at it, it seems the same as brass cased ammo. It is steel.

I've shot the 223 Wolf steel cased ammo in my Vector V93 rifle and it cycles just fine. That said, I can reload for less than the Russian ammo, and create ammo for each rifle that it likes a whole lot.

RockyMtnTactical
November 26, 2007, 06:31 AM
Barnaul is much better than Wolf IMO. If your weapon handles steel cased ammo fine, it's good stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Barnaul .223 ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!