Springfield Hi-Cap 1911's

PDA

Chris B
November 23, 2007, 07:54 PM
Who's got 'em?

Who's fired 'em?

Who can compare 'em to a Para Hi- Cap or a standard Springfield 1911?

I ask because I'd never seen 'em before and I'm wondering why the reserve on this pistol was so low: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=85375044

Just as good as any other 1911? Just as good as any other Hi- Cap 1911? No good at all?

What's the deal with Springfield wide body 1911's?

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield Hi-Cap 1911's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BReilley
November 24, 2007, 01:21 AM
Well... I'd really like to have one, if that counts for anything.

I'm very interested in these pistols, too. Would love to hear from somebody - I know there are a few here who have at least one!

crankshop1000
November 24, 2007, 09:03 AM
I have one.It's a very close match to a Para Ordnance P14 in design and feel. Springfield made the hi cap during the 10 shot limit and most of the guns were exported. They made a "loaded" model which is what the one in the ad looks like. Mine is "loaded". as far as I'm concerned, the hi cap is underpriced. It listed for $700+ new and is comparable to any of the high end Springfield loaded models.You can use Para 14 mags with up to 18 rounds. The 14 rounders fit without a mag extension.Aftermarket grips are not available unless you like rubber. The hi cap springer is a nice shooter and I have not had any ftf's or fte's. Buy it.
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff90/crankshop1000/IM002253.jpg

This is my "loaded" hi cap.
By the way, mine was a gun show find for $400. It needed a new recoil spring.

Ethereal
November 24, 2007, 11:17 AM
I'd say it's not specifically a "loaded" model, but with a couple mods to bring it up to date. All the Hi-Cap Springfields are listed these days as GI-HICAP. So price point wise it's in the ballpark of the GI or Milspec models, regardless of capacity. Still a better price than Para for a non FPS 1911, though.

hans1911
November 24, 2007, 02:02 PM
I have one that looks like that, with the exception of having a 3 hole aluminum trigger. I also had the GI Hi Cap when I aquired the "loaded" one. I traded the GI to my friend. I had two ftf with the GI when new, and after that no problems. It came with a Para mag, I assume, because it said made in Canada on it. He bought two more Para mags and hasn't had any problems.
Mine came with 3 C&C Metalform mags, and outside of lightly sanding one follower that was a tad "sticky", I have had no problems with it. I have had two Paras, and I like the Springers better.

That is a good price, you should snatch it up.

Oh, yeah, avoid Pro Mag. They have a higher problem rate than they do success rate in the Para type mags.

hans1911

Chris B
November 27, 2007, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys!

Anyone else?

CryingWolf
November 27, 2007, 09:58 AM
Chris, There seems to be something a bit off about the one on Gunbroker. The grips don't look right (looks like they have been cut) The trigger looks like it was changed. Anyway both Crankshop and I have the PX9707L which is the Springfield Hi-Cap Loaded. The ones I see on Gunbroker are going for around $725 - $750 for the Springfield Hi-Cap Loaded. Springfield discontinued this model in and around 2004. They still make the GI Hi-Cap though. My buddy owns a Para Hi-Cap and has looked at mine. He seems to really like my Springfield. I think both Crankshop and I got a little lucky when we found our Springfield hi-cap loaded I paid $550. I would be hard pressed to think that the previous owner shot more then a box through mine. Mine was like new in the box, and came with three magazines two thirteen rounders and one ten rounder.

I would say if you find one in the shape of the ones Crankshop and I have found at a reasonable price then by all means pick it up. The Gunbroker link you showed us I would have pass on. I would be unsure of the condition of that pistol. Something seems a bit off about it. It might have been someone with a small hand, change the trigger and cut the grips so they could get their hand around it? Pictures are not too clear it also looks like the finish is a bit worn in a few places. Maybe at the beginning price of $400 it would be a good deal.

This is the only Springfield Hi-Cap Loaded I could find on Gunbroker right now
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=86101326

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2075/2004818851_bed215d185_o.jpg

Redgum
May 17, 2009, 07:00 AM
Do these Sprinfield 'Hi-Caps' have a ramped barrel like the para's or standard GI style?

wditto
May 17, 2009, 12:40 PM
looks an awful lot like a Bul import from Isreal

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield Hi-Cap 1911's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!