Kik vs GOEX powder?

PDA

Malamute
November 24, 2007, 02:09 PM
Does anyone have any chronograph info on the differences in velocity, or experience with comparable loads?

I haven't seen Kik mentioned online much.

I tried some 3f Kik after shooting 3f goex, and the Kik seemed noticably hotter in my 51 Navy and 60 Army.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kik vs GOEX powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JCT
November 25, 2007, 01:23 AM
It seems GOEX, although the most widely sold and available BP, has the least performance of them all...
Here's a page with some info on KIK http://www.norwestcompany.com/comparison.htm
GOEX makes a powder called "Goex Express" that should be great. The key to good BP is the type of charcoal used. Swiss uses Alder, Goex uses Maple. Alder and Willow are the best know.

dwave
November 25, 2007, 02:09 AM
According to the link, Elephant is the lest powderful of the three, not Goex.

Malamute
November 25, 2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks.

Good article. It confirms what my shooting impressions were.

sundance44s
November 25, 2007, 11:42 AM
I just bought a case of KIK 3f last month haven`t had a chance to crono it yet ...BUT I dropped my rifle charge by 5 grs and am getting the same shooting experence as I did with the Goex 3f at 5 grs more .http://www.norwestcompany.com/comparison.htm

Gewehr98
November 25, 2007, 01:45 PM
I'm always willing to try something different. How easy is it to find a source of KIK in the lower 48?

Also, how does KIK compare to Goex Express?

sundance44s
November 26, 2007, 08:06 AM
I bought my KIK from www.powderinc.com about a buck a can cheaper than Goex too ..It was 256.00 for 25 lbs delivered to my door .

dwave
November 26, 2007, 09:32 AM
25 lbs delivered to my door.

If you was in Ohio, you would be my new best friend! :evil:

I haven't tried any other black powder except Goex because of availability, but it does what I want it to do and better than the subs IMO.

sundance44s
November 26, 2007, 11:42 AM
I really didn`t feel like I had any choice on the ordering ....The only store around me that still carries real black powder is Bass Pro and they want 28 bucks for a lb . see what I mean ..I think I figured the KIK at 10.30 a lb ..or close to it ..Don`t take long to get over the shock of buying a case , when you need it you have it ..and I didn`t have to burn any gas to get it .

bender
November 26, 2007, 12:59 PM
$28 for a pound :confused:

if that's not a typo, that's outrageous...

sundance44s
November 26, 2007, 01:40 PM
Not a typo ...wish it was ..proud of their Goex ain`t they .

bender
November 27, 2007, 05:47 PM
2 weeks ago I bought a couple pounds of Goex at a local store (only place in town with real BP). It is a small gunshop, that is quite expensive. Well, I never thought to try the local Bass Pro... but now I won't bother :)

The goex was $18.95 a pound at the small gunshop.

sundance44s
November 28, 2007, 08:33 AM
BassPro can`t keep their real black powder on the shelf anymore ..you have to ask for it at the gun counter ...it`s kept in the back room in a special valt due to new gov. regulations on it . They went up from 18.99 to the 28.00 price as soon as they had to remove it from the shelves here .

bigbadgun
December 9, 2007, 09:00 AM
As far as i know here in the swamp bass pro is the only place to buy Goex however here are the prices on hodgedon products
Pyrodex P 22.00 lbs
Shockys gold 27.00 Lbs
777 37.00 lbs <--- this is crazy
So I am stuck with Pyrodex P but hey it still sends the lead down range.
God South Florida is the worst .

straight-shooter
December 30, 2007, 08:29 PM
Good Lord!!

Here in Indiana I can get

Goex for $11.00 a pound
Pyrodex P for $14.00 a pound
777 for $21.00 a pound

Wow, I guess I should feel lucky but if this is what's happening to powder prices south of here then it probably won't be long it will find it's way up north.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kik vs GOEX powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!