Baurer .25 Problem

PDA

V.T.Smith@hotmail.com
November 24, 2007, 03:30 PM
I have a Baurer that gets the round jammed half way to the chamber, and sometimes working the slide manually the round won't even come out of the clip ! Do I need a new part ?:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Baurer .25 Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Roswell 1847
November 24, 2007, 03:33 PM
Probably needs a new clip. Have a gunsmith look at it, the clip may just need ajustment to the feed lips.

mec
November 24, 2007, 06:38 PM
I had one of those back when they were in production. It never would get through an entire magazine. The local gunsmith mumbled something incoherent about how it couldn't be fixed. That does not mean it couldn't be fixed-it only meant that he didn't want to work on it.

Rexster
November 24, 2007, 07:16 PM
Try a new magazine. Also, ask on the automatic pistol sub-forum, here on THR. This is the revolver sub-forum, and while many sixgunners can also help with auto questions, you are more likely to find fellow Bauer owners over there.

rcmodel
November 24, 2007, 07:20 PM
Sounds like a magazine feed-lip thing.
Or perhaps a weak magazine spring.

Also, I believe the Baurer was one of the early Stainless Steel guns, and can tend to be kind of "sticky" without the proper lubrication.

I'd check carefully for any galling of the slide or frame rails that might be causing the slide to bind a little.

And get some good grease like Gun-Slick or Action-Magic and use that instead of light gun oil and see if it helps.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

Starter52
November 24, 2007, 09:24 PM
+1 to what mec said. I remember the Bauer from the 1980's and the feeding problems it had. Some guns just should not be made of stainless steel. The blued steel version (the Baby Browning) works famously.

HisSoldier
November 24, 2007, 11:04 PM
My Bauer works well. Figuring out why some auto's don't cycle reliably is the spice of life! Many just languish in a drawer good for nothing, or get traded endlessly. The Bauer's sell for about $200 in new condition now, so many gunsmiths probably wouldn't want to work on it. Cheapest troubleshooting is different ammo, then a new magazine, then make friends with a good hearted but poor gunsmith (That's why he's poor, he can't bear to charge what he's worth!). Me, I'd research it as a personally challenging project until I got it to work reliably, if it was mine.

TimboKhan
November 24, 2007, 11:12 PM
Figuring out why some auto's don't cycle reliably is the spice of life!

This, my friends, is a positive attitude!

Z71
November 24, 2007, 11:21 PM
Mine had some feed problems, and replaced the original silver colored mag with a blued replacement mag for the baby Browning and fixed it. Later I tweeked the old mag until it held the cartridges like the new mag and got it working too. The original Bauer mag is pretty soft!

I think the mag I got was a Mec Gar, but not for sure. The genuine Browning magazines are expensive!

HisSoldier
November 25, 2007, 12:56 AM
Parts, Most PSA and FN parts are interchangeable, but may need tweeking.
http://precisionsmallarms.com/parts_list.asp (PSA parts are not stainless)
Then of course there's Numrich, and look in GB under magazines.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
November 25, 2007, 01:27 AM
The stainless Bauers also had a distinct preference for Winchester pellet nosed hollow points.

What are you feeding yours?

I bought one for my ex years ago. In my experience with it, it performed as desired. Wish I'd have kept the pistol, now.

Regards,
Rabbit.

MICHAEL T
November 25, 2007, 03:01 AM
The stainless Bauers also had a distinct preference for Winchester pellet nosed hollow points.

Where is that written My Bauer has a 9000 serial number and has only had ball fired thru it since I bought it all those years ago. I still load it and carry every now and then.

If you enjoyed reading about "Baurer .25 Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!