How did Vermont-style carry start?

PDA

Moparmike
July 19, 2003, 05:26 PM
I am interested in starting this style of carry in my own state (even if it wouldnt pass, damn liberals:mad: ) and want to know how it began. How did the grass-roots campaign start? How did it actually pass? Are there any states where it might be passing next?

How old do you have to be in Vermont to CCW? Do you have to be a Vermont citizen to CCW?

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "How did Vermont-style carry start?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MicroBalrog
July 19, 2003, 05:37 PM
Vermont Carry is around from 1903.

To carry, you must be able to legally own the gun.

You don't have to be a Vermont resident.

Why don't you mention Alaska carry, too (similar?)

Moparmike
July 19, 2003, 06:17 PM
I knew Alaska had it too, but didnt know that Vermont carry had started 100 years ago. So how did it start in AK?

MicroBalrog
July 19, 2003, 06:18 PM
Passed two weeks ago.

Monkeyleg
July 19, 2003, 06:29 PM
Actually, Vermont never started "Vermont-style" carry. It's just that nobody every tried to pass a law regulating carry since the state was founded in 1791. In 1903 there was a court challenge that tried to regulate it, but it didn't succeed.

Devonai
July 19, 2003, 06:34 PM
The difference is that the Vermont state constitution's equivalent passage to the second amendment includes the word "individual" in it. Amazing how much difference one clear word can make, isn't it?

Monkeyleg
July 19, 2003, 06:38 PM
Devonai, in the ruling handed down by the WI state supreme court this past week, the court stated firmly that our state constitutional RKBA amendment guaranteed an individual right to keep and bear arms. The court then went on to say how that right could be subject to "police powers" by the state. :rolleyes:

Moparmike
July 19, 2003, 06:46 PM
Too bad moving to vermont isnt practical....:(

Jim March
July 19, 2003, 06:57 PM
Right, the Vermont "right to carry sans permit" was supported in the state supreme court, based on the state constitution.

Alaska got it legislatively. Or rather, is about to get it, I don't think it's kicked in yet, not for another month or two. But it's a signed, done deal.

Standing Wolf
July 19, 2003, 07:15 PM
The difference is that the Vermont state constitution's equivalent passage to the second amendment includes the word "individual" in it. Amazing how much difference one clear word can make, isn't it?

Yup. I predict more states will follow Vermont's and Alaska's lead.

El Tejon
July 19, 2003, 08:19 PM
Mo, since no one's going to give you the citation:

"[U]nder the general laws, therefore, a person not a member of a school may carry a dangerous or deadly weapon, openly or concealed, unless he does it with the intent or avowed purpose of injuring another."

State v. Rosenthal, 55 A., 610, 610-11 (Vt. 1903) (Supreme Court of Vermont vacates pistol carrying ordinance of Rutland, Vermont).

Moparmike
July 19, 2003, 09:23 PM
Too bad that still prohibits CCW at a college as well. My college is very safe (save for a few rapes late late at night in the past year, bastards:cuss: ), but I would feel even better if I could carry. I cant even carry an extendo-baton in my bag b/c of the belief that it is a Concealed Weapon. (grrr...)

twoblink
July 21, 2003, 06:16 AM
I hope 25 states move to Vermont style carry..

That way, we can then compare crime rates of 25 states vs 25 states, and see if Vermont style carrying is more effective at stopping crime, or DC style draconian laws..

If you enjoyed reading about "How did Vermont-style carry start?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!