Reboring an older Marlin

PDA

Balog
November 24, 2007, 06:10 PM
Hello all,

I'm considering buying a Marlin/Glenfield Model 30A. It seems to be a good price and I don't like cross bolt safeties. However, when I get a .30-30 I'd like to be able to rebore it to the Ackley Improved version. Doubtless I've just spent too much time in the Wildcat section of Cartridges of the World :) but I really love that chambering.

So would that be a safe thing to do to an older rifle like this? Are there any issues I can expect to encounter? And can ya'll recommend a gunsmith in W. Wa to do the work?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reboring an older Marlin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 24, 2007, 06:39 PM
Yes you can rechamber it to 30-30 AI.
But you won't gain much if anything in a lever-action.

Ackley developed all of his "improved" cartridges way before there was any accurate pressure test methods employed by folks like him.

Lever-guns are pretty much limited to 30-30 pressures, and the 30-30 brass tends to stretch and break if overloaded at all past factory load pressure in the springy actions.

When the 30-30 AI is kept to reasonable pressures, you won't see enough differance in performance in a lever-action to matter.

Put the 30-30 AI in a strong single-shot action that doesn't stretch brass, and it is a worthwhile conversion though.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "Reboring an older Marlin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!