m1911 standard strength recoil spring: brand choices?

PDA

Thirties
November 25, 2007, 09:25 AM
I'm looking for info on whether there is a difference in quality among the different makers of m1911 (.45cal, standard strength) recoil springs?

There are Colt, Wolff, and many other brands . . . is one the obvious best? Are there some to avoid? Does it not much matter which I buy?

Please keep the discussion focused on the question of spring quality. I am not looking for advice on guide rod length. [grinning]

If you enjoyed reading about "m1911 standard strength recoil spring: brand choices?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911 guy
November 25, 2007, 09:30 AM
Buy Wolff springs.

Yes there is a difference. Factories donlt make their own springs, they buy from the cheapest supplier. A "Colt" spring is not made by Colt.

dmftoy1
November 25, 2007, 09:39 AM
+1 on Wolffe

I like their variable rate springs (FWIW)

Have a good one,
Dave

AirForceShooter
November 25, 2007, 09:50 AM
Wolffe
That's all.

AFS

The Lone Haranguer
November 25, 2007, 09:51 AM
At least with the 1911 I got it for, Wolff will supply a firing pin spring with their recoil spring.

Thirties
November 25, 2007, 10:23 AM
I like their variable rate springs (FWIW)

With these, I believe Wolff says each end is different. Which end goes to the plug, and would you chose the other way for any reason? I confess to not having searched the answer on Wolff's web pages.

Thanks, all, for the replies. I'm going to order Wolffs.

Thirties
November 25, 2007, 10:37 AM
What was I thinking??? I'm ordering one of each: variable and conventional.

End of story.

1911 guy
November 25, 2007, 10:46 AM
Thirties, all 1911 recoil springs have different diameter ends. The smaller diameter goes on the guide rod, the larger end goes toward the muzzle.

Thirties
November 25, 2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the explanation . . . my one 1911 is a recently purchased Government 70 model that has the 2 piece full length guide rod. It works fine. No, it ain't broke, but I wanted to see the difference and have the choice. Rather than continue to use the existing recoil spring, I'm swapping all three parts together as a "set".

I'm going to replace it with the conventional set-up

If you enjoyed reading about "m1911 standard strength recoil spring: brand choices?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!