Road test: CZ75D Compact PCR

PDA

The Lone Haranguer
November 25, 2007, 08:28 AM
Description (http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=37)
http://www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main037.png
http://www.cz-usa.com/data/productimg/main037.png

It followed me home on the 21st and I got in some happy time with it yesterday evening. :)

Highs: reliability, short and smooth DA pull, sight picture, hand fit, ergonomic controls (if you are right handed), size, light weight, high capacity, appearance, overall workmanship.

Lows: "creepy" SA pull, extended lip of flat based steel magazine floorplate gouges little finger in longer fire strings, short slide a little difficult to grasp for quick racking.

It blew through 100 rounds of MagTech FMJ and a small quantity (a 20-round box) of Federal 9BPs without a single malfunction, right from round one. I will be getting in some more time later with more hollowpoints, which I consider essential for defense, especially in the 9mm. Many CZ models have a DA trigger reach that is too long for me, but when this gun is ready for use (hammer decocked with the lever), the hammer sits at approximately a "quarter cock" position, shortening the reach and the length of the stroke by that amount. Its grip is also well shaped, making this gun fit my hand as well as any double-stack/double-action pistol is likely to get. The sight picture is a conventional three-dot, but the dots are a sort of lime green rather than white. I found the color easier to pick up under the indoor range lighting than white dots. Overall fit and finish is very good, with a tight barrel lockup, good slide/frame fit and a well-applied finish. The interior surfaces are only polished where they need to be, but there are no chatter marks from rough machining or anything of that sort.

The rather creepy (but light release) SA trigger made it a little difficult to shoot really tight groups from a two-handed unsupported position, but enough holes clustered together that I think it is perfectly capable of good mechanical accuracy. It handled beautifully in close rapid fire.

As mentioned, the magazine floorplate is a bit of a finger gouger. With strings of fire of more than about five rounds it will bite. A person with large meat hooks or bear paws for hands will probably not like this gun, but there are other choices. These are not the mags shown in the picture that have a less protruding, plastic- or rubber-covered floorplate. I will try to locate a couple of those. Any carry/heavily used gun should have a minimum of four magazines anyway, IMO. When a gun functions perfectly right from the get-go, I can forgive minor shortcomings. I paid literally twice as much for a gun that malfunctioned on the second shot I ever fired through it. :rolleyes:

If you have difficulty finding an "off-the-rack" holster for it, it fits pretty well into one made for the SIG P228/P229, provided it is leather with some "give" to it and not closely fitted plastic. The two guns are virtually identical in size.

Overall I am very pleased with this gun. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Road test: CZ75D Compact PCR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CraigJS
November 25, 2007, 10:05 AM
Get some snap caps and dry fire it 500-1000 times the trigger pull WILL improve. I've had a PCR for about 3 years now, and it's the only pistol I won't get rid of.. (I dumped a Sig P226 on an XD9SC trade and DON"T feel cheated!)
Mines been 100% reliable (with anything), scarry accurate, fits me like a latex glove. I carry it every day. Not a perfect gun, but for me it's a better fit than a pistol that cost me 250-300.00 more. Your mileage may vary, good luck!
CraigJS

Pilot
November 25, 2007, 10:09 AM
I've had a 75D PCR since the first came out. I think I bought it in 2000. The date is stamped on the pistol, but I am too lazy to get it our of my safe right now. :rolleyes:

It is my FAVORITE carry gun and even one of my favorite range guns along with my full size 75B. Its everything the 75B is in a smaller, lighter package. 100% reliable and accurate. I carry it in a Bianci Shadow II holster designed for a Sig P228/229. Fits fine.

Rob1035
November 25, 2007, 05:45 PM
I just purchased a P01 and love it, although I disagree with the ergonomics being right handed friendly only. I'm a lefty and can run everything just fine, although CZ is offering a left handed decocker now.

armoredman
November 25, 2007, 06:05 PM
Loved my PCR.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/29friends.jpg

Wish I'd never sold it, dadgum collection agencies! I will get another, the best companion to a PO1 you can have.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/PCRPO1.jpg

Thanks for the review!

varoadking
November 25, 2007, 06:20 PM
As mentioned, the magazine floorplate is a bit of a finger gouger.

Buy yourself some of the Beretta 92 rubber floorplates. They fit like a glove...though they do cost about $10.00 a pop...

KONY
November 25, 2007, 07:18 PM
I just recently got me a PCR. So far, it looks like a keeper! :cool:

PCRit
November 25, 2007, 07:39 PM
A great 9mm for CCW. Excellent choice:D

CZF
November 25, 2007, 09:14 PM
They are good guns. The P-01 outsells them by a large margin, but in reality, few people have actual use for the P-01's light/laser rail.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/czbest06m.jpg

A PCR with Crimson Trace Lasergrips would really be neat.

1 old 0311
November 25, 2007, 09:51 PM
Hi CZF,

I NEED the rail. That is how I mount the bayonette, to repel borders.:what:

JDGray
November 25, 2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the report:) Definatly on my shortlist. I give up looking for a used one, gonna have to bite the bullet, and buy new:D

GunNut
November 25, 2007, 10:27 PM
Great gun. I had one for a while and wish I never got rid of it.

Deacon Blues
November 25, 2007, 11:28 PM
Nice review. The PCR, while not as popular as the P-01, has a loyal following - enough that CZ was persuaded not to discontinue it in favor of its rail-bearing sibling. I like how the frame tapers and ends slightly ahead of the slide, making it easier to draw and conceal than the P-01. Both have their place; I tend to think of the PCR as a CCW gun and the P-01 as a LE/military gun, but they could easily switch duties.

BTW, I heard that CZ-USA has (temporarily?) stopped importing PCRs. Can anyone confirm this? I hope they aren't trying to discontinue it again. :uhoh:

The Lone Haranguer
November 26, 2007, 01:15 AM
I put another 250 rounds through it today, 100 of them being that Remington "green box" JHP you get at Wal-Mart for a Jackson. There was a solitary failure to return to battery with this ammo, nothing else. But by that time it was getting pretty dirty, so I don't think this is anything to worry about. The trigger is starting to smooth up and my grouping is getting tighter. I will load it up with some more of the 9BPs and put it to work. :cool:

foxmoor
November 26, 2007, 10:27 AM
Great review. I have a P-01 that I love and was considering picking up a PCR to keep it company. Does anyone know if the P-01 magazines work in the PCR? I assume that they do but wanted to check. Thanks.

Kent

The Lone Haranguer
December 2, 2007, 12:21 AM
I picked up another magazine that has that finger extension basepad. It is made of rubber. I can hold it in complete comfort now. :D I also found a vendor selling basepads alone, and ordered some. http://czcustom.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_29&products_id=331

Calhoun
December 2, 2007, 10:06 AM
The mags for P01's, 75B Compact and PCR's are the same, so they will work with each other. Mags from a full size 75B will work also, which would bring your capacity up to 15+1 (or 16+1 on the new ones), but they do hang out a little bit.

That triger will smooth our VERY nicely with either dry fires or range time. Great choice.

robctwo
December 2, 2007, 11:10 AM
My P-01 trigger job was ten bricks though the Kadet Kit.

david_the_greek
December 2, 2007, 12:21 PM
I also am a pcr owner, bought one from a THR member a few years back and its always performed perfectly *for me*. That being said there has only been problems when friends have been shooting it with bulk packs of fmj ammo I bought from dunhams. I think Remington(?). I believe it was combination weak grip/underpowered cartridge. When handed the gun a FIRM grip seemed to solve the problem. Anyone replace the guide rod with steel? I've been wanting to do that for a while.

Richard
December 2, 2007, 12:53 PM
I consider the PCR to be the equal of a Glock 19. Guess what? That is high praise! Regards, Richard:D

strangelittleman
December 2, 2007, 04:40 PM
David the Greek, I have 2 green P01s and have placed a factory CZ compact steel guide rod in one of them and kept the plastic guide rod in the other. I have fired approx: 400 rds through both and the plastic rod is doing just fine. I do notice that with the steel rod the P01 is a little bit more front-heavy, which I like, but that's the only real or "perceived" difference. I've not noticed any unreasonible wear on the plastic rod.
Anyhow, just give CZUSA a call and order the steel guide rod for the CZ75 compact. It's interchangible w/ the PCR & P01. If I remember correctly the steel rod only cost about $15.00 or so.
The reason the CZ75 compact has the steel rod is because it has the steel frame where the PCR & P01 have the aluminum frames....I hope this helps

If you enjoyed reading about "Road test: CZ75D Compact PCR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!