anyone have anything bad to say about Glocks?

PDA

Korbin
November 25, 2007, 01:54 PM
I'm choosing my first gun and in looking at my options, I keep reading reviews that compare other brands of semi-autos to Glocks. And I hear negative stuff about all the other guns. Does anyone have constructive critisism (or otherwise) of their Glock?

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone have anything bad to say about Glocks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
D-Man
November 25, 2007, 01:57 PM
Try to shoot as many different types of guns as possible to figure out what you like. While it's good to get opinions from the internet, don't make that main reason for buying a type of handgun.

To me the Glock has a weird grip angle compared to my other guns, but it would be something I could get used to, and eventually their may be a G34 in my future. As long as the gun feels good in your hand, and has a nice shooting feel, go for it.

Edited to add it may help this discussion to find out what caliber you may be looking at, and for what purpose (i.e range fun, CCW, home defense).

jaysouth
November 25, 2007, 01:59 PM
glocks are almost as ugly as my first wife.

fastattack
November 25, 2007, 02:02 PM
I agree with jaysouth, they are ugly. Wouldn't be my first piece.
Having said that, they are reliable and popular.

Jim_M
November 25, 2007, 02:12 PM
they flat RUN

Jim M

SouthpawShootr
November 25, 2007, 02:28 PM
Aside from the fact that they are aesthetically bland, the dozen or so I have never gave me grief. They work, they work well, but there'll be no "Ohs" or "Ahs" when you show one off. You may even get a few weird looks if you look like you were expecting any response other than "Hmmm, another Glock, seen one you've seen 'em all."

Z71
November 25, 2007, 02:53 PM
I've got a real early Glock 17 pistol. Probably been fired about a billion times or so before I got it. Recoil spring was spent, I mean really spent when I got it. Slide wouldn't return to battery reliably and it fely mushy. Recoil spring guide rod was broken too.

Even with the broken recoil spring guide rod(plastic original Glock part) and the flat spring, gun automated just fine.

Now for the complaint; the Glock won't lock the slide back when empty. Wouldn't do it with the worn/broken recoil system, won't lock back with the new parts either.

I replaced the recoil spring and rod, mag catch, new mag too. Still fails to lock back when it hits empty?

I guess my next step is to replace the slide stop.

The pistol runs fine otherwise, accurate and reliable. Just won't lock back.

I guess thats something bad to say about my Glock!

Rat Finkenstein
November 25, 2007, 02:53 PM
I had a glock, but I have put it up for sale since it felt crappy in my hand, did not point well, and had a very poor, long trigger.

rcellis
November 25, 2007, 03:02 PM
Glocks are analogous to high-end Timexes. You can get them nearly anywhere, they work, and they keep working. Not generally precise, but good enough.

rcmodel
November 25, 2007, 03:06 PM
Only two things I don't like about mine is the strange grip angle, and the lack of a positive thumb safety.
I cured the safety problem with the COMINOLLI Safety kit.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=5532

But there is not much you can do about the grip angle.

BTW: Before the Glock Safety flames start, let me just say this.
I have carried 1911's for about 50 years now.
I often just stuff one, Cocked & Locked, down the back of my pants Mexican Carry style.
Loaded Glocks in my pants make me very nervous without a covered trigger holster.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

Blarelli
November 25, 2007, 03:07 PM
I don't like the grip angle, and I hate the finger grooves on the new ones. I can shoot decently with them, and they are tough and reliable. There are plenty of other choices that are just as reliable though. Anything from Ruger, Sig, Smith & Wesson (excluding the sigma), and Springfield will be reliable. Choose what feels best.

.41Dave
November 25, 2007, 03:29 PM
Glocks are good, solid guns, and as reliable as any other semi-auto pistol out there. Don't get me wrong, but Korbin did ask for criticism of Glocks.

Glock's reputation for invincibility has a lot to do with Glock's habit of denying any and all problems while quietly doing "upgrades" (NEVER a "recall") on their guns when problems surface, and a horde of internet Glock fans who drink the cool-aid and think their Glocks are magical talismans that cannot break.

1. Glocks have a reputation for kabooms (blowing up). Some Glock fans say this is an internet myth, but it seems to be a genuine problem. Most likely due to the unsupported chamber and the polygonal rifling. It appears to happen more with .40s than 9mms.

2. Glock has had their share of malfunctions and defective guns, including:

defective slide rails
phase 3 malfunctions, where a fired case rim sticks under the extractor, and the case mouth simultaneously lodges at the mouth of the barrel hood. The standard, Tap-Rack-Bang drill will not dislodge it, and the slide cannot be manually moved in either direction.
defective guide rods
bad magazines which caused guns to fire out of battery
The usual FTEs, FTFs, etc.

3. They're ugly

4. Their blocky shape makes them harder to conceal, in my experience.

5. I have never found a Glock that fit my hand well. The grip angle and shape are totally wrong for a significant number of shooters.

As a final note, I would NOT recommend a Glock as someone's first handgun. Not that it's an expert's gun or anything, but some guns give a little more margin of error than others for times when our gun safety is less than perfect. All of the Glock's "safeties" are in the trigger, which has led to a significant number of negligent discharges. Between the safety issues and the sort of utilitarian, mushy and uninspiring nature of the Glock trigger, there are better choices. If you have your heart set on a semi-auto pistol, I'd recommend a good .22, like the Browning Buckmark or Ruger mark II or mark III. Shoot it A LOT. Get good with it, THEN buy the Glock or whatever pistol fits you best.

Creature
November 25, 2007, 03:44 PM
Ugly women generally treat you real good!

Princi
November 25, 2007, 03:54 PM
I used to work for my wife - I couldn't stand her. It wasn't hate, just contempt and general dislike. Fortunately, I only worked for her for 6 months or it might have turned to hate. Instead...

I hated the G34, my first Glock when I bought it. Then came a long string of modifications. It now has a very light trigger with no overtravel (Ghost Rocket Connector took care of that). After owning it for awhile, and listening to the ooh's and aah's when people dry-fire it, I've gotten so that I like it and keep it in my range bag.

The thing I like the most about it is the ease in detail stripping it. I can't think of any pistol that is easier to work on - certainly not anything made by CZ!!! (I have a completely disassembled CZ on my bench that I say a prayer over every night. I'm convinced that only prayer will result in me getting this thing all back together again). :)

Korbin
November 25, 2007, 03:55 PM
Wow, thanks everybody for the detailed responses. Just what I was looking for.

As for caliber and use - I want something for home defense. I was looking at 9mm and .40. Though that is subject to change.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks Glocks look like a stapler with a handle. :rolleyes: And when I held some yesterday I agree that they feel clunky in your hand. I think I'll take you guys' advice and try some different guns out at the range.

Above all else, I do want something reliable. I don't have my heart set on a semi-auto.

Floppy_D
November 25, 2007, 03:57 PM
Complaining about a Glock is like complaining about a hammer. It might not be the sexiest thing in the world, but you can trust it to do the job every time, at a more than fair price.

I'm a Sig guy, but I'd carry a Glock any day.

Navy joe
November 25, 2007, 04:02 PM
Negatives.
They break like any other gun, I've broke a few. Average use may never see a broken part, when I had time and money I was getting 20,000+ a year through a Glock.

Fingergrooves suck, at least for me. Try an older Glock in hand before you buy. Those are the best deal anyway, if you can get a used G17 for $350 you just saved about $200 worth of ammo money.

The trigger is unforgiving to new shooters. A lot can be done to make a Glock trigger better, as it is a Glock trigger justs begs a new shooter to jerk it. Once you buy it, before you post here I'll save you the trouble and tell you, it's you, not the gun. Thousands of new shooters have come to the errornet posting "My Glock shoots low/low and left!" Dryfire, it's free and will pay dividends.

Oh, about the dryfire and the cleaning. As noted by Dave, a Glock trigger does not suffer fools lightly. Dryfiring and disassembly for cleaning is preferably accomplished with an empty gun. Until gun safety is a way of life for you be careful. Then again all guns go off when you pull the trigger, I just think more Glocks are in inexperienced hands so we hear about it a lot.

I own 2 Glocks, G17 and G34. My new gun advice is a used Gen II G17 for anyone shopping for the first Glock. I carry them daily, I am sure you will like yours once you learn the quirks of them.

19-3Ben
November 25, 2007, 04:07 PM
Glad you're going to try out some others. Glocks are very reliable on a whole, but so is any other gun in its class made by any high-quality manufacturer.
I don't hear reliability complaints about Springfield XD's, S&W M&P's, the Steyr M9 or heck, even the Taurus 24/7.
There are metric craploads of very reliable 9mm/40cal large framed semi-autos out there. Try them before you get set on one particular brand.
If you are a noobie to this and you don't have your heart set on a semi-auto, I might also suggest looking into revolvers. I have a 4"barrel .357mag that sleeps in my dresser. So do many other people. They are very simple and easy to operate. Great HD guns.

JP from Phoenix
November 25, 2007, 04:42 PM
I think they are kind of ugly but i'm not above getting one, there has to be some truth to why there are so many glock fanboys out there. I actually almost got a Glock 17 a couple months ago but went with a beretta 92 instead.

D-Man
November 25, 2007, 04:54 PM
As for caliber and use - I want something for home defense. I was looking at 9mm and .40. Though that is subject to change.

All the models in either the 9MM or .40S&W should accommodate most sized hands. You should look at the full-sized models (17 or 22), but you would also be served quite well with the compact line (19 or 22).

One thing I also should mention as your trying guns out you may find that a Glock (or any other polymer model) seems 'weird'. They just don't have the 'soul' of an all metal gun, though that is a subjective thing and in reality should be about the last consideration when buying a tool (though we all know it does matter).

Above all else, I do want something reliable. I don't have my heart set on a semi-auto.

With that being said, you could do quite well looking at a .357 revolver like a S&W 686 or Ruger GP100. One of the benefits is that you can train with the cheaper (but still effective) .38 special, and use the .357 as protection loads. Though in general 9MM will be the cheapest rounds you can get in a centerfire gun.

I'm sure you'll find out the more you look around, the more things interest you and the more questions you'll have.

Owens
November 25, 2007, 04:59 PM
Nothing bad to say. It's just (so far) personal preference to have an all metal f/a. I've shot a few Glocks, but was never fond of how they felt in my hand.

steak-knife
November 25, 2007, 05:24 PM
Well, I've had the same G23 for the past 8 years and have never had an un-intentional jam (now and again, during requals, the instructors sneek in a dummy round into the mags to see if we follow proper/timely clearing procedures).

Can't do anything to modify my Government Issue, but I sure can do anything I want with my personally owned off-duty G27, and that's where the "bad" comes in.

Other than adding a grip sleeve, your choice of sights, or hard chroming the metal parts, there's not much you can do to customize it to make it your own. That's actually okay, since Glocks run fine right out of the box, and customizations, as someone else said here on THR, is like "putting lip stick on a pig.":)

76shuvlinoff
November 25, 2007, 05:29 PM
The most accurate I ever shot with a gun that was just handed to me was with a Glock 23. To this day I still don't own one and don't really know why. The only excuse I can think of is the trigger safety thing. Illogical maybe but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I decided if I was gonna tote an ugly gun I'd go with an XD... and I did and I do.

redneckrepairs
November 25, 2007, 06:17 PM
My advise is visit a range and talk to folks , most folks will let ya run a mag or two thro their handguns if the range isnt a rental range . Try out everything you can before you select any pistol .

I dont care for glocks myself but have owned 15 or 20 over the years of guntrading i suppose , and lots of folks like them .

pablo45
November 25, 2007, 06:30 PM
If you think this is ugly, I must be blind!

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc239/bauergod/chrispictures017.jpg

Rexster
November 25, 2007, 06:33 PM
Glocks are not as reliable as some make them out to be. I have owned six of them, and two had issues that required parts replacement. A third was 100% reliable, with my usual 165-grain duty and training ammo, until it choked at a shooting school taught by a nationally-known instructor. It did not like 180-grain ammo one bit! Two SIGs I have owned have worked with boring reliability, with a variety of bullet weights and types; I just bought a third SIG. I really switched back to SIG in 2004 because they fit me better than Glocks, resulting in better shooting, and because my agency started allowing us to qual with DAK-trigger SIGs, but using Glocks taught me they are not perfect. I do not dislike Glocks; I fervently hope to see an "SF" version of the G20!

10-Ring
November 25, 2007, 07:06 PM
It took me a while to find the right Glock. I've owned a 23, 17, 21, 36 and finally a 19. If I stopped w/ those others, I would have had negatives to say but my 19 is just an absolute champ. She goes bang when I ask her to, she puts rounds where I point & she's very low maintenance :cool:

txgolfer45
November 25, 2007, 07:36 PM
No... Get the Glock and start shooting!

W.E.G.
November 25, 2007, 07:44 PM
BAD GLOCK!

...made me stop wanting to carry any of my other "carry" guns

tinygnat219
November 25, 2007, 08:03 PM
Glocks have an excellent reputation for accuracy, durability, and reliability. However, fit and feel for everyone is different. Try as many different models as you can prior to buying. When I was looking for a Striker .45, I tried the G21, G36, and XD45. I ended up with the XD 45 simply because it "fit" me better.

Slvr Surfr
November 25, 2007, 08:06 PM
I own 8 glocks and I guess I might be a kool aid drinker too. 17,19,20, 21SF,22,27,31,35. :neener:

The second gen 22 I carried on duty untill the department replaced it with a 3rd generation 22. I carry the 27 for back up gun.

To this day I have yet to have any of them malfunction or break on me. My old duty gun doesn't have a lick of shiny tennifer left on it, but it is ROCK SOLID. The trigger is also as smooth as glass due to thousands of rounds through it.

Glocks are extremely reliable. I have personally tested the drop safety on one of them and it worked (thank goodness or a might be typing this less an appendage.) As for the lack of safety, I believe that they require DISCIPLINE. With other guns that have a bunch of safety levers we become dependent on them to keep us from having AD/NDs. Glocks force you to become diligent in order to avoid having an accidental bang. I actually think this is beneficial for new shooters. It helps maintain the golden 4 rules.

Glocks are simple, and can be customized contrary to popular belief. Just go to www.glocktalk.com and you will see what I mean.

A lot of folks rave about sigs. I personally have owned two and will never own any more. In fact I traded both sigs for glocks and have never looked back. The sigs just don't work for me. They are good guns but both of mine had issues that made them unreliable.

As for the Kbs suffered with glocks they can happen with any gun. Glock specifies that you not use reloads for that particular reason. They do have unsupported barrels that are more prone to allowing KBs from overpressured / weak brass loads.

In most cases I have heard of, the shooter was not injured badly if at all.

Guns are truly like women to me. Its all about YOUR preference.

I will admit for off duty carry I am hard pressed to pack anything other than my trusty SW .45 Commander 1911 sc.

Good luck with the search. Shoot as many guns as you can till you are confident that you have tried everything. Just don't count the glocks out yet! :evil:

wally
November 25, 2007, 08:07 PM
I too think Glocks are ugly, but I'd like them if I could shoot them anywhere near as well as I do other guns. Their out of the box reliability sets the bar high enough most every other maker passes under it.

Try before you buy and if you shoot it as well or better than others they are great. Compare them to the new S&W MP series and the Springfield XD series before you finally decide.

Only downside is if you relaod, Glock's polygonal rifling doesn't like lead bullets which is how you really get seriously lower shooting costs from reloading. The plastic sights are easily damaged, but easily replaced with something more robust.

--wally.

TOADMAN
November 25, 2007, 08:35 PM
Nothing bad to say... All my hand guns are for self defense both at home or out and about.. I carry Glocks and S&W revolvers..

Captain Bligh
November 25, 2007, 09:42 PM
I resisted Glocks for about a decade. Ugly. Blocky. Plasticy. Then I shot one. Then I bought one. I love my ugly, blocky, plastic G19. It is the most reliable semi-auto I own. It's a functional tool that's fun to shoot. I can't say anything bad about mine.

Daemon688
November 25, 2007, 09:43 PM
If you think this is ugly, I must be blind!

Yup, you're blind :neener:

Here's how I view glocks
Pros:
1. Very reliable
2. Frame won't rust
3. Affordable

Cons:
1. Lousy trigger
2. Grips don't fit my hand.....at all
3. It's plastic
4. It's ugly

If you're looking for a purely utilitarian piece and you can deal with the bad trigger and for some miraculous reasons it actually fits your hand......get it. Otherwise, there are guns that are just as reliable, better looking, and have better triggers.

bannockburn
November 25, 2007, 10:14 PM
I bought the only model they made at the time, the Model 17, in early '86. I didn't think much of the looks either, but the polymer frame felt good in my hand, and the overall impression that I had was that this was a gun built to last, under any and all conditions. After all these years, it has proven my impression to be correct.
http://[IMG]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc231/buckeroobanzai/DSC02338.jpghttp://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc231/buckeroobanzai/DSC02338.jpg

Geno
November 25, 2007, 11:05 PM
I have liked all 3 Glocks, two 17s, and one 19C. I just had my 19C updated a wee bit. I had a 3.5 Lb., short-reset trigger installed. Wow, now let me tell you what. The trigger pull is as-smooth-as can be, and it re-sets in about 1/8th inch. Double-taps are really fast!!! Today at the range I had no difficulty at all keeping 1.5" groups simply goofing around at 7 yards, and not taking a lot of time to aim. Glocks really can be a lot of fun to shoot.

SoCalShooter
November 25, 2007, 11:07 PM
Good things: its a glock
Bad things: its a glock

Glocks are pretty basic easy to use pistol. The grip width and angle don't work for everyone however. But they do run forever and are very reliable. Easy to clean and come in a variety of calibers.

Black Adder LXX
November 25, 2007, 11:10 PM
RENT ONE FIRST! Glocks tend to be a love 'em or hate 'em gun. The only one I've ever liked was the 19 compact model. The full size ones don't fit my hand the right way... I've also seen a few glocks jam. Rent one first..

antediluvianist
November 26, 2007, 06:21 AM
What's the difference between a Glock trigger and the trigger on a water pistol? The water pistol trigger feels better.

The grip is uncomfortable, too. Well, to my hand, anyway. Compared to the grips of a lot of other handguns out there.

Don't buy a Glock until you have tried the grip and the trigger.

TIMC
November 26, 2007, 10:26 AM
anyone have anything bad to say about Glocks?

Yes, it id darned expensive to buy one of every mod they make!

I have the 17 and 22 both are great shooters, never a problem out of either one.

TennVOL
November 26, 2007, 10:41 AM
1) Bad grip angle (to me) 2) unsupported chamber (had a G21 KB) 3) polyagonal grooves in barrel (can't shoot lead).

Try a Springfield XD. 1) Better grip angle 2) Supported Chamber 3) Standard grooves in barrel 4) same finish as a Glock

Landor
November 26, 2007, 11:53 AM
It will be the best investment you ever did. As stated they are not pretty but they will out last 99% of the guns out there stock.

That should flame up some people..

Bstack67
November 26, 2007, 12:15 PM
they are ugly but sure do shoot pretty

romma
November 26, 2007, 01:36 PM
I don't know if anyone on this thread has pointed this out to you yet; Glocks are Ugly... You know, in case you haven't heard that yet... ;)

dhoomonyou
November 26, 2007, 01:54 PM
Addictive, great, reliable, easy to work on.

possum
November 26, 2007, 03:21 PM
welcome to THR, well i don't have nothing "bad" to say, they are great firearms that will run and run and run some more, the issue that i have with them is that there are alot of parts that are plastic, that should be metal, i don't like the standard sights among other things but that is the biggest things that i have against them.

REPOMAN
November 26, 2007, 03:39 PM
They go BANG everytime..... A bunch of firearm for the $$$$$$$$ :what:

KBintheSLC
November 26, 2007, 04:08 PM
Aside from the aesthetic shortcomings, I think that my least favorite aspect is the polymer guide rod on the recoil spring of my G26. I just ordered a stainless steel one so I can bag it. Other than that, they are tough as hell, reliable as hell, accurate as hell, and hell... they don't break the bank.

Scorpiusdeus
November 26, 2007, 04:57 PM
This should help.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=319195

RM
November 26, 2007, 05:51 PM
Think of Glocks as a plain girlfriend with a great personality, a genuine partner.

Good things about Glocks- at least 100.
Bad things about Glocks- grip angle, (XD grip angle is much better.)
finger grooves

Dave in PA
November 26, 2007, 06:10 PM
I rented one of the G17s when they first came out here. I didn't like it. I haven't shot one since, although they do come in awfully small packages now.....

If you're shopping, try to at least hold several different maker's products before you buy.

pdowg881
November 26, 2007, 06:12 PM
I don't shoot them very well and I hate the triggers. They have a unique feel to them.

TRP1
November 26, 2007, 07:13 PM
Glocks are fugly but when you pull the trigger you can bet it will fire everytime.

DevilDog0402
November 26, 2007, 07:21 PM
1) Bad grip angle (to me) 2) unsupported chamber (had a G21 KB) 3) polyagonal grooves in barrel (can't shoot lead).

I was under the impression that only the .40 cal Glocks have the unsupported chamber?

mpmarty
November 26, 2007, 07:25 PM
Take a furniture manufacturer who wants to submit a pistol for the military trials in his native Austria. Cobble together a bunch of ideas from other pistols and wind up with a very heavy slide mounted on a very light plastic frame connected by four little sheet metal tabs and you have a sure thing to win the competition as long as you stay in Austria and only use 9mm NATO rounds. Unfortunately, Uncle Gaston hired a big sales team and went to work selling here in this country by practically giving away his pistols to law enforcement agencies in the mid to late eighties. The rest as they say is history. Everyone knows that cops know more about guns than anyone right? Absolutely wrong but the sheep in this country just lined up to buy Glocks. After you plunk down five hundred bucks on a pistol that sold to the Portland Oregon PD for $125 with three magazines your very reluctant to bad mouth your beautiful Glock, like your ugly wife, who needs alimony? By the way, Portland Oregon had so many problems with their wonderful Glocks they traded them in for SIGS after several kabooms and NDs.

chilic82
November 26, 2007, 07:48 PM
Boy people just love to rag on something. I agree that Glocks aren't for everyone. Just like SIG'S,HK,and others aren't either. I believe that if any other company produced as many guns as Glock does they would have some guns out with flaws also.Just look at Sigs QC dept in the last couple of years. I enjoy Glocks along with other makes, but if someone were to ask me about them I wouldn't just point out the bad and instances that happend years ago or that rarely happen concidering how many prople own them. I have had many Glocks and never had a minutes trouble out of any of them, as have others. Man I really think that if it weren't for Glocks blowing up, Sigs rusting away, 1911's jamming, HK's breaking firing pins, and M&P's dropping mags some people may not have a thing to add to this forum.

Omaney
November 26, 2007, 09:10 PM
I qualified for my CHL with a rental G17. The thing was ugly and the grip angle was not to my liking...BUT...the GLOCK fired without a hiccup and put every shot where I wanted it to go. The GLOCK is the epitome of a tool, it may not be pretty, but it is reliable. At least in 9mm.

TOADMAN
November 26, 2007, 09:51 PM
I always laugh when gun folks refer to Glocks as ugly looking..

IMO, all hand guns are ugly in comparison to a Browning High Power or a Smith and Wesson 3 inch Model 10.

3 gun
November 26, 2007, 10:45 PM
The 3rd gen frame doesn't fit everyones hand including mine. The unsupported chambers in 40 have a rep of blowing out cases to the point of having its own shorthand code of kB!. They have been less than honest and forth coming about recalls.

Everything has short comings. Even perfection.

R&J
November 27, 2007, 12:33 AM
Every case of Glock Kaboom that I have researched involves reloads. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened with factory ammo, but I suspect 99% of these instances involve shooter reloads. Glock tells you right up front, use factory ammo, use copper jacketed ammo. If you want to shoot lead reloads, buy an aftermarket barrel.

Jams are usually caused from "limp wristing" the guns. New shooters quickly overcome this.

Glocks require absolute adherence to basic firearm safety rules, and do not forgive carelessness. Keep your finger off the trigger unless deliberately shooting the gun!

We have found Glock firearms to be very accurate and reliable.

We've got three Glocks, models G17, G19 & G21, with nearly 26,000 rounds fired between them. Parts broken or replaced: Zero.

My G21 also shoots 10 mm with a conversion barrel and 10 mm magazines.

I do recommend replacing the stock sights with aftermarket night sights, such as Trijicon, Meprolight or AmeriGlo.

We also have SureFire X200s and LaserMax for G19 & G21.

Glocks are a breeze to maintain!

Aftermarket accessories and replacement parts are readily available for Glocks!

We are very pleased with our Glock purchases, and would recommend Glock to any person seriously considering a handgun purchase.

--Ray

R&J
November 27, 2007, 12:35 AM
Duplicate Post--Sorry!

biggiesmalls
November 27, 2007, 12:43 AM
actually i remember seeing something that you can slide on to "change" the "grip angle." and its not really even the ANGLE that most people are talking about. the best i know how to decribe it is the "amount of material on the back of the grip." anyone wanna help me decribe it better? for the record i hate glocks and i love xds haha. if you must own a glock, give this a read:
http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2005/03/how-to-make-glock-not-suck.html

.45&TKD
November 27, 2007, 04:45 AM
the best i know how to decribe it is the "amount of material on the back of the grip." anyone wanna help me decribe it better?

I'd call it a "raised palm swell". And I agree, Glock devotes too much space to it.

On a 1911, its like the difference between an arched main spring and a flat main spring, except on a Glock you are stuck with it and can't change it to your preference.

.41Dave
November 27, 2007, 04:59 AM
Boy people just love to rag on something.... but if someone were to ask me about them I wouldn't just point out the bad and instances that happend years ago or that rarely happen concidering how many prople own them.

chilic82, the OP didn't ask for opinions on Glocks, he asked for CRITICISM of Glocks. Seems a might pointless to get annoyed with people for giving the original poster exactly what he asked for.

Autolycus
November 27, 2007, 05:22 AM
They are ugly. Thats about it. Though I still think they are prettier than Rugers and the new Smith and Wesson M+P.

RichardB
November 27, 2007, 10:49 AM
Lot's of folks are criticizing them because they are ugly. BFD! My Glock 19 fits my hand OK, it shoots straight until empty. Korbin, you need to try one out then make a decision about how it fits your hand. The other issues include no lead bullets with the polyaganel (sp?) barrel, I'm sure you have picked up on. The no safety catch is not an issue , none of my revolvers have one. Just keep the finger off the trigger until pointed at target and ready to shoot.

If appearances in a tool are important to you, then pass on the Glocks. Since my firearms are for real, not for impressing others; I don't buy into the appearance thing.

Shear_stress
November 27, 2007, 12:22 PM
I can get past the looks. The Glock to me is an appliance or tool--pure functionality.

My problem was that I could not shoot mine without my trigger finger brushing the mag release. I guess Gaston wasn't a lefty.

1911 guy
November 27, 2007, 02:15 PM
They don't fit my hand well at all and the grip angle is weird.

They are well built and reliable, though. If you like them, get one. Some have the same complaints about many other handgun designs. To each his own.

Phyphor
November 27, 2007, 06:17 PM
They may be ugly and they may not perfect, but they're pretty damned faithful...

Cannonball888
November 27, 2007, 06:25 PM
Not my complaint, but my neighbor who has been reloading all of his life. He claims spent shells from Glocks are worthless for reloading because the shells are stretched to the Glock's slightly larger chamber (which incidentally is the reason for the famous Glock reliability).

outofbattery
November 27, 2007, 07:16 PM
Do you buy a shovel or hammers because you think they look pretty?

A defensive handgun is a _tool_.As long as it's reliable,accurate,easy to shoot and conceals well that's all that matters to me.I'm indifferent about the appearance of Glocks,I don't think they're in any way attractive or the hideousness that many think they are but I don't put a whole hell of a lot of thought into whether my Sawzall is particularly attractive either,as long as it works.
My only real compaints about Glocks are:I don't need a rail and don't want finger grooves and they don't make a medium frame single stack 9mm.

dhoomonyou
November 27, 2007, 07:35 PM
GLOCKS remind me of the song lyric:

"If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife, so from my personal point of view, get an ugly girl to marry you".

CountGlockula
November 27, 2007, 09:21 PM
Does anyone have constructive critisism (or otherwise) of their Glock?

I've trained with my Glock model 35 through Basic-Basic II-Intermediate-Advanced Self-Defense Handgun training. In every single class, my G35 never jammed nor created any problems for me to continue on with the classes with no pauses.

I can't say the same for my other classmates who used 1911s, Sigs and Hks. All had jams where the instructor took some extra time fixing their guns; added oil, clearing stove pipes, etc. Whereas for myself...he knew my Glock was reliable and I just kept on target.

'Nuff said.

R&J
November 27, 2007, 10:19 PM
"Not my complaint, but my neighbor who has been reloading all of his life. He claims spent shells from Glocks are worthless for reloading because the shells are stretched to the Glock's slightly larger chamber (which incidentally is the reason for the famous Glock reliability)."

A lot of truth to this.

Conversely, Super-Uber Lugers failed miserably at the Russian Front because their tolerances were too tight to function in the extremes of that environment.

A Glock will cycle under water... ;)

If you want to shoot lead reloads through a Glock, get a drop-in aftermarket barrel and have at it. I've got a friend that has been shooting 10 mm reloads for twenty years! :D

--Ray

Erik
November 28, 2007, 10:55 AM
They're sold at too low a price point, thus embarrasing other manufacturers.

The other major fault is that some shooters consider some of their models relatively chunky feeling. YMMV.

qbpc
November 28, 2007, 10:59 AM
http://www.gunblast.com/i_hate_glocks.htm
Read this artical by Jeff Quinn.
BB

LubeckTech
November 28, 2007, 11:33 AM
Not counting my G17, with stock barrel, I own 7 9mm firearms that I can think of and reload for all of them (Rainier or Barry's plated for the glock) and see no practical difference in brass shot in the glock vs. brass from the other guns. After resizing in a Lee carbide die they work well in anything from a WWII vintage luger to a Hi-Point carbine. The way I discern which brass came from the glock is the dent the striker makes in the primer. I suppose if you go through brass with a micrometer....

NASCAR_MAN
November 28, 2007, 11:37 AM
Glocks are "Perfection", and anyone who says otherwise ..."just doesn't get it."

1. When a Glock fails to cycle - then the user is "Limpwristing"
2. When a Glock goes "Kaboom" - then the user was using the "Wrong Ammo".
3. When the Glock goes off when you're trying to manipulate it in/out of your holster - then you as a user are "Negligent".

For the Glock is always "Perfection". :neener:

Desertscout
November 28, 2007, 12:52 PM
1. When a Glock fails to cycle - then the user is "Limpwristing"
2. When a Glock goes "Kaboom" - then the user was using the "Wrong Ammo".
3. When the Glock goes off when you're trying to manipulate it in/out of your holster - then you as a user are "Negligent".

Yep, you're right on all counts. :neener:

rockinrussky
November 28, 2007, 01:00 PM
A Glock is a little like a milsurp AK rifle. Its ugly, eastern european, unergonomic, cheap :scrutiny:, and will not impress anyone at the range. However, it will go BANG everytime :)

Desertscout
November 28, 2007, 01:06 PM
A Glock is a little like a milsurp AK rifle. Its ugly, eastern european, unergonomic, cheap , and will not impress anyone at the range.
I hope you just mean that they just won't impress anyone with their cosmetic appearance because the Glock will shoot as well as most anything out there and better than most.

JohnBT
November 28, 2007, 01:10 PM
"However, it will go BANG everytime"

You've been drinking the Glock Kool-Aid, all mechanical devices can fail, including Glocks. They are very reliable, but based on the evidence they are far from perfect.

John

rockinrussky
November 28, 2007, 01:15 PM
Cosmetically speaking, they don't impress much on the range, of course. Problem is most people can't look past the cosmetics, from my personal experience anyway.

Desertscout
November 28, 2007, 01:53 PM
Problem is most people can't look past the cosmetics, from my personal experience anyway.
Yes sir, you're probably right about that.

mpmarty
November 28, 2007, 02:07 PM
Yes, Glocks work. They go bang every time you pull the switch, if the ammo is good, they shoot where they are pointed, they aren't too heavy.

Yes, Yugos work. They start every time if they have gas and a good battery, they steer where you point them, they aren't too heavy.

I think I'll jump in my Yugo and go buy a Glock.:neener:

Phyphor
November 28, 2007, 04:27 PM
Well, Glocks may fail from time to time, due to mechanical issues. The question is: Is this failure rate worse than that of other autoloaders? Can you take say, a 1911 clone out of a box alongside a Glock and have it run just as reliably, with the same amount of punishment?

Ed4032
November 28, 2007, 04:48 PM
Yeah they are ugly.

Desertscout
November 28, 2007, 04:52 PM
The question is: Is this failure rate worse than that of other autoloaders? Can you take say, a 1911 clone out of a box alongside a Glock and have it run just as reliably, with the same amount of punishment?

Hell no and probably hell no, depending on how many rounds you want to run thru both guns. If you want to go a thousand rounds or more, the 1911 will almost certainly fail before it's over unless you're going to allow routine maintenance and lubrication.

outofbattery
November 28, 2007, 05:53 PM
The remarkably funny thing about people who have an irrational dislike of Glocks is that they become insulting towards not only the firearms but the owners of them.It's as if movies conditioned me to believe my 19 and 22 are the ultimate firearms and that I'm an idiot for forsaking the 1911's,BHP,SIG's,S&W's,Walthers and even the Beretta in my safe for shooting them because eventually,it's going to KaBoom or " just go off".It has nothing at all to do with the fact that both of my Glocks have fired more rounds than most handguns will see in their lifetime and I indeed shoot them well enough.
While there are some rabid Glock fans out there,most Glock owners will simply tell you that " they're just functional,reliable,affordable tools".It's fairly insulting to the great number of people who have fired and owned many,many different handguns that choosing to own or carry a Glock simply comes down to " drinking the Koolaid" and infers that we simply don't know any better or couldn't shoot our way out of a wet paper bag.
It's incredible the number of people who say things like "I'd rather have a Lorcin/wouldn't have a Block if you gave it to me" who've never actually fired one.It's nice to know that there's no point trusting personal experience when the internet and gun magazines can guide you.

I owned probably 2 dozen others before I ever tried a Glock and admit that I didn't much care for the ergonomics or trigger at first and having started with a SA Browning,the lack of hammer and safety had me worried for a bit.I'd like to think that I came to understand the purpose in design and strengths and weaknesses of it rather than simply dumbed myself down into thinking it's actually quite safe,accurate enough and exceptionally easy to feed and care for.

Jim_M
November 28, 2007, 07:18 PM
Very well put outofbattery. I must admit that I too was less than complimentary about the Glock. That is until I learned them. My G35 has performed without a hitch and helped propel me to earned slots in both regional and national USPSA championships. I have great confidence in it. My "evidence" is anecdotal at best I know. But one only needs to look to see that nearly ALL major metropolitan police, state and many federal law enforcement agencies carry them. There is a reason so many do.

Jim M

stevereno1
November 28, 2007, 07:33 PM
handsome is as handsome does, Glock is at the top of the food chain in terms of reliability, ease of use, and maintenance. 1911's feel good in the hand, are pretty, and are fun to shoot. Glock is a freind when in need, when others fail to feed. Dead on nuts accurate at 7 yards, and if you have time to align the sights any further, you should be running for cover.

Desertscout
November 28, 2007, 08:31 PM
Dead on nuts accurate at 7 yards, and if you have time to align the sights any further, you should be running for cover.
What you say is accurate to a point but maybe a little misleading. The Glock's accuracy is definitely NOT limited to 7 yds. My G20 will consistently shoot inside of 3.5" at 50 yards and less than 6" at 100. I killed a deer at 112 yards with it 3 weeks ago.
I have a G23 that I shot a 5-shot group with at 100 yards that measured just a hair over 5 ". The 6th shot opened it up to about 9".
ANY of my Glocks will shoot way inside of 3" at 25 yards and most will do under 2". Maybe not "match-grade" accuracy but still better than the average "service-grade" pistol.

Phyphor
November 28, 2007, 08:56 PM
Exactly. My Glock 19 will easily shoot sub-Minute of Badguy at 15yards no sweat. Now, I'm not the best shot in the world, and certainly I'd get my ass kicked by someone of equal skill level with a race gun in a pure accuracy contest, but given the choice between a 4 figure-tight-tolerances-to-the-fare-thee-well-racegun that MIGHT work fine in a pinch and a proven pistol that may not be super-accurate, guess which I'm gonna carry?

R&J
November 29, 2007, 01:50 AM
"...2) unsupported chamber (had a G21 KB) 3) polyagonal grooves in barrel (can't shoot lead)."

Be honest. Your KB involved reloads, didn't it?

I've got over 9200 rounds through my G21, the last 1000 of which were 10 mm Double Taps (KKM Conversion Barrel). Anyway, no KBs to report in .45 ACP or 10 mm.

The stock barrel is designed to maximize velocity for the caliber.

Glocks are sold set up for OEM production jacketed, plated, or coated ammo only.

Get a drop in aftermarket barrel to shoot "lead" reloads.

--Ray

R&J
November 29, 2007, 02:19 AM
http://www.gunblast.com/i_hate_glocks.htm
Read this artical by Jeff Quinn.
BB

Great read!

Confirms what I've always said: " Everybody needs a G19! :D "

--Ray

bwavec
November 29, 2007, 02:56 AM
Some like them, some don't......it is largely a matter of personal preference and opinion.

I have never liked the grip angle, grip feel or trigger personally.

But they are durable and reliable, two things that I insist on in a firearm.

The choice is yours to make. Try to shoot and investigate the workings of as many pistol as possible before you make a choice. See what you feel will work best for you and your situation.

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone have anything bad to say about Glocks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!