Rechamber an 8mm Mauser?

PDA

Robert Hairless
November 25, 2007, 07:45 PM
Somewhere I think I read that an 8mm Mauser can be rechambered to .308 or .30-06. True? If so, what's involved, what might be the cost, and who might do a first rate job?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rechamber an 8mm Mauser?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
November 25, 2007, 07:51 PM
False.
8mm = .323" which would not do much with a .308" bullet.

There is such a thing as an 8mm - 06 to use .30-06 brass, once popular when 8mm ammunition was uncommon, but there is little sense in it now.

You could rebarrell an 8mm to .308 or .30-06.

Or you could just shoot 8mm. It will do anything a .30 caliber will, especially if you handload to European ballistics.

Robert Hairless
November 25, 2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks Jim.

Jim K
November 25, 2007, 09:06 PM
A note of interest. Elsewhere on this forum is a posting that lists calibers to which an existing rifle can be re-chambered. The person who compiled the list indicates that to him, "re-chamber" includes re-boring and re-rifling as necessary. Most folks, and most gunsmiths, would not agree, but the list has given a few people a different idea of just what constitutes re-chambering. I suspect we have not heard the last of folks who will want to "re-chamber" a .222 Remington to .375 Weatherby.

Jim

Clipper
November 25, 2007, 11:19 PM
I thought that was .378 Weatherby...;)

eliphalet
November 26, 2007, 10:45 AM
Here's a neat new program you might find intersting on rechambering your 8mm
http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aichamber.cgi?sn=BBJGemRFLT

If you enjoyed reading about "Rechamber an 8mm Mauser?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!