matchkings??

PDA

kennedy
November 25, 2007, 07:34 PM
I bougth some .308 150gr sierra matchkings, I was measuring the length of them and found a range of 1.112 to 1.122 inches, is this normal? how does it effect the OAL? accuracy?

If you enjoyed reading about "matchkings??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
November 25, 2007, 07:43 PM
The hollowpoints on these can be a little ragged which affects bullet length.
The best way to seat them is to use a gauge that measures to the ogive, not the tip, and get a consistent "jump" to the rifling.

Failing that, most bullet seaters bear on the ogive instead of the tip, so you can just seat them to a convenient length and take the variation in OAL. It won't affect accuracy much. You can buy a meplat (tip) trimmer but they don't have a whole lot of effect.

USSR
November 25, 2007, 08:42 PM
Jim is right, don't sweat the varying bullet lengths, it's the ogive that matters. Sierra's have a pretty big variance in the ogive location and bullet length that I attribute to their having several machines (with slightly different settings) turning them out. Still, this won't be a problem for the average target shooter.

Don

If you enjoyed reading about "matchkings??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!