Remington Core Lokt in 308 Win...

PDA

marksman13
November 25, 2007, 08:01 PM
This load is popular in many, many chamberings for good reasons. It offers good penetration, mushrooms well and retains mass. My question is in regard to the 308 Win in particular. I know these bullets work in a 30-06, 7 mm Mag, and 243, but a friend recently had an issue with the 150 grain Core Lokts in his 308 and I have a cousin that curses these rounds in every breath. It seems both of these guys have had many deer hit well by these rounds only to have them run away. I suspect the problem is markmanship, but I was just wondering if any one here has had a bad experience with Core Lokts in a 308. I think I'll be sticking with them until I see a problem for myself. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Core Lokt in 308 Win..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LeonCarr
November 25, 2007, 08:30 PM
Never a problem for me in a .308, numerous deer and hogs sent to that great pasture in the sky :).

As a matter of fact, the only failure to stop completely I have seen with the Core-Lokt was with a .243, 100 grain. We were hunting in a two man box stand, my buddy shot the deer, a six point whitetail buck dropped from a textbook shot behind the shoulder, we wait 20 minutes, we get out of stand to go look at deer, get within about 25 yards of deer, deer gets up, buddy shoots deer again in shoulder and it dies. I have heard that the 100 grain bullets are too stout for deer, and that 80 grain Core-Lokts open up better.

That is the only time I have seen a Core-Lokt bullet in any caliber not work as advertised. I still use them in factory loads and handloads. Remington calls it The Deadliest Mushroom in the Woods :).

Legionnaire
November 25, 2007, 10:05 PM
My general purpose and all around hunting rifle is a Remington Model Seven in .308. It has been fed a steady diet of 150 grain Remington Core Lokts, and shoots right at 1.5 MOA consistently with same. I have taken many deer with this combination and have never needed more than one shot. Can't speak to your buddies' experiences, but mine has been nothing but positive.

eliphalet
November 25, 2007, 10:08 PM
I suspect the problem is markmanship,I suspect your correct.
Remington figured out good bullet construction decades ago that is still being sold today. Lots of good bullets on the market today and you can be sure if the Core-Lokt wasn't a great bullet they would have drifted into obscurity years ago. I personally know of dozens of deer and several elk they worked just fine on.

rwc
November 25, 2007, 10:08 PM
I used one in a 7mm-08 Friday and it got the job done. It also stopped just under the skin and fully mushroom-ed, with the copper petals folded back.

.41Dave
November 25, 2007, 10:54 PM
Every deer I've taken has been with a .308 using 150 grain Remington Core-Lokts. Every last one dropped on the spot.

marksman13
November 26, 2007, 12:47 AM
Where are you guys putting your bullets? Neck shots, behind the shoulder or other? Neither of these guys are great marksman and both have been known to shoot "at a deer" and not at a target on the deer so to speak. I usually shoot for the neck at 50 yards or less, but I want to know that my bullet is gonna do the job behind the shoulder. If all of you guys believe in the 308 Core Lokt, along with about a million other hunters, it must be good stuff. Guess it's just a psychological thing. You know what they say about first impressions.

eliphalet
November 26, 2007, 01:36 AM
Behind the shoulder, shot dozens of deer like that. This years was the first core-lokt bullet I have recovered from a deer. Deer was on a steep hillside above me at more of a angle that I realized, hit a rib and then the shoulder.
Shot straight through side to side I have never recovered a Core-lokt bullet from a deer with 308 or 30-06.

Regolith
November 26, 2007, 02:14 AM
It worked fine for me, though I was using it in a .280 Remington. Core Lokt is the main diet of most of my hunting arms.

H&Hhunter
November 26, 2007, 11:00 AM
I've used the 150 gr Corelokt extensively in the .308. I've had a few deer run off only to die a short time later with behind the shoulder shots.

But that happens with any bullet at times.

marksman13
November 26, 2007, 12:23 PM
I found out that part of my buddy's problem yesterday is that the deer ran after what appeared to be a solid hit. He fired a second round while it was running, probably missing the deer entirely, and then immediately got out of his stand and gave chase. Bad move on his part to keep the animal's adrenaline flowing, and probably a poor shot. I believe that even if the bullet failed to expand, a .30 caliber hole through the vitals would kill a deer. The bullet did pass completely through the first deer he shot and kill another doe standing behind it. I know, I know...he shouldn't have taken the shot with another deer behind it, but that's the difference between him and me. The bullet was recovered in the second deer and was beautifully mushroomed and had retained most of it's mass. I think the problem was shot placement and chasing a wounded deer.

NASCAR_MAN
November 26, 2007, 12:47 PM
Marksman13,

I think your buddies' primary problem is...they can't shoot straight. I know this sounds heartless on my part, but I've been hearing the same 'ole stories for 30 years - and it all boils down to...the "Guys Can't Shoot Straight".

Typically, after having thier 270's and 308's "fail" on them (i.e., "I put a perfect shot on that Deer and it just run away after it ran up to my Deer Stand and hocked it's leg in utter contempt"), this type of hunter will start loking for the Ultimate Deer Gun with "some real "knockdown" power - like the 8mm Remchester Ultra Mag.

Like I said, I know it sounds heartless, but it's the truth as I've seen it.

NASCAR

Mantis
November 26, 2007, 01:21 PM
I used to use 150g Core-Lokts in my .308 before I started reloading and never had a problem with them. Every deer was a one shot kill.

Legionnaire
November 26, 2007, 03:39 PM
I always aim for the heart, or just above. They tend to bolt for 30-40 yards, and then pile up. Generally, dead before they know it.

BTW, my sixteen-year-old daughter took her first deer today (a good size doe) with a 100gr .243 Core-Lokt. Double lung shot, down inside thirty yards.

marksman13
November 26, 2007, 03:42 PM
Congrats to your daughter, Legiionaire. I like the 100 grain Core Lokts in a 243 too.

.45Guy
November 26, 2007, 03:44 PM
Behind the shoulder with .270 130 grain corelokts. The results are quite impressive.

marksman13
November 26, 2007, 04:54 PM
Looked around at some of the other Premium bullets around. Looks like I'm gonna start reloading if I don't get the results I want with the Core Lokts. Federal Premiums with the Nosler Ballistic Tips are in the $40 range.

Marintime Mike
November 26, 2007, 07:34 PM
Do you guys think Remington .308 Corelokt 150 grain is enough for moose? Would 180 grain be better ?....Assuming I'm never gonna shoot anything more then two hundred yards away anyway....

spalit
November 26, 2007, 10:07 PM
Mike,

For Moose I would recommend premium bonded core bullets in 180 gr. I recently took my Tikka 308 to Africa, and got excellent performance out of my 180 gr hornady interbond handloaded with 42 gr Varget. It took a 54" Kudu, Waterbuck, black wildebeeste. So a similar factory loading from Remington or Federal should work well for Moose

rwc
November 27, 2007, 10:48 PM
Where are you guys putting your bullets?

My shot referenced above was at 205 yds., with the deer quartering towards me, bisencting the deer on a diagonal. The bullet entered just behind the near shoulder, traversed the lungs and lodged under the skin between a couple ribs on the far side. She ran about 30 ft.

.308 Corelokt 150 grain is enough for moose? Would 180 grain be better ?

I've not hunted moose, but I've seen them from close range and they are enormous. I would want at least a 180 gr. and would think seriously about a larger caliber rifle that can push a bigger bullet, even if you have to borrow it.

langenc
November 28, 2007, 11:53 AM
Son recently shot deer w/ CL from his 300 WSM BUT the load was a 75% load with H 4895 as published by Hodgdon.

MV is calculated at 2350 fps from the cartridges loaded for his 14 yo daughetr. Bullet hit deer head on-low and just off center. Bullet was found in the same side ham(rear). Bullet had mushroomed to at least 0.42 and had a piece of jacket sticking out on one side at least 3/8". Retained weight 141.4 gr-94%.

CLs are good. They dont go all the way thru so blood trail is usually restricted. Most dont like them for that reason.

eliphalet
November 28, 2007, 12:41 PM
CLs are good. They dont go all the way thru so blood trail is usually restricted. Most dont like them for that reason.Personaly shot in excess of 50 deer and elk with Core-Lokts having only recovered a couple from elk and one from a deer. All with 308 or 30-06 150 grain reloads.

highbrow
December 2, 2007, 01:40 AM
Bought 1K 165gr Corelokts in a bulk pack 20yrs ago for $65. Have been using them exclusively in .308 since. It has accounted for more than 40 deer, 10 antelope and 6 elk during that time. In handloads, it will often do 1" groups or better in a variety of rifles, bolts and semiautos. Would highly recommend for .308, 30-06 and 300 savage types. Would not use in magnums, unless you download them some. My son used them on his elk last year with perfect performance. Bullet went thru and was not recovered.

Leanwolf
December 2, 2007, 01:16 PM
MARINTINE MIKE - "... .308 Corelokt 150 grain is enough for moose? Would 180 grain be better ?"

Although I've killed a fair amount of game from elk to ground squirrels with Core-Lokt bullets in several calibers, I have not killed a moose. But...

My cousin has killed an Idaho Shiras moose with his .308 Win. 70 Featherweight (1962 mfg), using the 180 grains Core-Lokt bullet (factory loading), without any problem. Two shots at about 95 yards.

He's also killed 22 bull elk and more Mule deer than he remembers using the same rifle in .308 Win., and mainly Remington cartirdges, but sometimes Win. cartridges. (He doesn't reload.)

He also happens to be a very good shot.

FWIW.

L.W.

jaholder1971
December 3, 2007, 10:59 PM
I took last week a small buck using 140 grain Core-Lokt in 7X57. Did the job even if the shot was bad (long story involving a 12 point buck and a tree branch)

I have witnessed 130 grain Core-Lokt's in .270 fail to cleanly kill deer, requiring a final shot. Each of these were hit in the shoulder and the bullet blew up before reaching the vitals and ruining a lot of meat. However, you put these bullets into the lungs behind the shoulder and you've got dead deer.

Triple S
December 4, 2007, 10:35 PM
Growing up, I used Core-Lokts quite a bit out of a .270 & .30-06 on many white tail. I rember, if we found the bullets, they were perfect little mushrooms. It seems now, when I have tried them in a 7mm Rem Mag (and the same 270 & '06), the current bullets "pancake" out. Seldom do I get a mushroom. More times than not, the bullets are flattened out and do not resemble a mushroom what so ever. A few friends have seen similar results, but has anyone else had this happen?

Kimber1911_06238
December 4, 2007, 10:38 PM
I like core lokt's. I did have a 180 grain soft poitn out of a .30-06 not expand once. Shot the deer right through both lungs at about 65 yards. Bullet zipped right through and the deer ran about 300 yards before it hit the ground. No expansion whatsoever.

i've had good luck with the PSP's

30-06 lover
December 8, 2007, 08:47 PM
I would have loved to hit many deer with my 308 Rem Core-lokt round, but the damn things don't fire when I want them to. I have had three misfires with 308, my brother had two with his 308, my dad had one with his 25-06 and 3 with his 300 win mag. I liked them a lot for deer hunting as they are cheap and mushroom well, but after hearing "click" all faith is destroyed. On the other end I have an uncle that shoots them almost exclusively and has never had a single misfire or any other malfunction.

marksman13
December 8, 2007, 09:18 PM
30-06 Lover, wow. I wonder if all those bullets weren't from the same lot. I've never had a misfire. That is definately something to consider.

Mantis
December 9, 2007, 12:14 PM
I would have loved to hit many deer with my 308 Rem Core-lokt round, but the damn things don't fire when I want them to. I have had three misfires with 308, my brother had two with his 308, my dad had one with his 25-06 and 3 with his 300 win mag. I liked them a lot for deer hunting as they are cheap and mushroom well, but after hearing "click" all faith is destroyed. On the other end I have an uncle that shoots them almost exclusively and has never had a single misfire or any other malfunction.

That is unusual for brand name ammo. I've heard of problems with cheap surplus ammo, but not Remington. Is it possible the misfires could have been a rifle problem, say from a dirty bolt assembly?

bearmgc
December 9, 2007, 10:10 PM
I use Core-lockts on deer and antelope in my 30-06, except for 1 gutshot, always 1 shot kills. never recovered a bullet.

Zeke/PA
December 9, 2007, 10:32 PM
I have been shooting CoreLoks all of my hunting life with excellent results.
Sadly some of the CoreLok calibers and weights are no longer available to reloaders as in the past.
Case in point: The .30 cal.180 gr. round nose.
Can't buy 'em.
This year I had to use the .30 cal 180 gr Pointed Soft Point instead for some reloads.
Using a.30-'06 my Grandson killed his first buck 100yds. away, shoulder shot.
The deer dropped in it's tracks and the exit hole showed that the bullet did its job.
Zeke

Titan6
December 10, 2007, 07:27 AM
While there are no magic bullets they have never failed me. This year was bang-flop as well. At this point they are all I deer hunt with. But you have to do your part as well.

marksman13
December 18, 2007, 02:21 PM
Well, I won't blame it on the bullet, but I definately put a shoulder shot on an 80 lb doe this morning and never found her. She was fifty yards away, standing broadside. At the shot she fell forward instantly, staggered to her feet and ran away carrying her front right leg high in a staggering limp. I didn't fire a second shot because both my buddy and me thought she was gonna go down shortly. She never went down and we never found any blood or hair or anything. This is the first deer that I have hit and didn't find since I was a child. I can't believe that there wasn't any sign of a hit although she was obviously staggering and should have been bleeding profusely. I suppose it is possible that I hit her a little low, but there should have been some blood or hair. I'm gonna try the Core Lokts out again this evening and see how it goes.

H&Hhunter
December 18, 2007, 06:28 PM
I didn't fire a second shot because both my buddy and me thought she was gonna go down shortly.

Marksman,

What you did is called "shot admiring" and there has been more game lost to that vice than just about any other shooting vice on the planet.

I'd be willing to bet next months mortgage payment that you hit her high in the leg.

If you have the opportunity ALWAYS shoot again. :) It'll save you a lot of time and heartache over the years.

Reyn
December 18, 2007, 06:50 PM
Ive killed one whitetail with a 300mag 150gr CL and two others including one this morning with 150gr 30-06. All 3 have been under 60yds. All were lung shots and one spine lung. All exited and 1 went 30yds 1 about 50 and the spine shot dropped there. All had nice size exit holes. I get 30-06 at Wal-mart for around 14.00 a box and it has been plenty accurate.

30-06 lover
December 18, 2007, 07:09 PM
To clearify a bit... All rounds that misfired were from different boxes and all differnt rifles, shooters, and time (One box was from another state we were hunting in at the time). Went to the range recently with my 6mm and the guy I traded the gun for gave me some Rem ammo for it. First round "Click" Second round "Click" Third round "Boom" Rest of the box is in the trash. I know that this is not common as I have talked with many people in the woods and range and I have only had one other guy tell me the after 30 years of shooting he had only one misfire from a very old box. I see it as something telling my to stay away from it on a personal level.

marksman13
December 18, 2007, 09:56 PM
H&HHunter, you know I told myself that I would never let another deer get up and walk away after being shot. I let it happen when I was a teenager.

I was sure she wouldn't go far. That's what I get for thinking I guess. It's been BANG-FLOP for so long, that I just figured this would be the same. No more deer get up from now on. Lesson learned.

H&Hhunter
December 18, 2007, 11:46 PM
Marksmen,

Tell me about it brother!

I've done it in the past and I'm sure I'll do it in the future but I sure as heck try not to anymore.:)

eliphalet
December 19, 2007, 07:39 PM
Marksman13

I think most everyone that has hunted much has had a thing or two they would rather not have repeated. I know I have, things that had me irritated with myself for a some time. I just try and learn from my mistakes and do better.

wfrr
December 19, 2007, 07:41 PM
I like this thread because I am a great fan of core-lokt bullets. I know there is better technology out there, but Ive just never needed anything better than what works.

I use the 180 grain core-lokt in my 303 British and 30/40 Krag and they are devastating to Whitetails. They simply drop in their tracks with a neck shot or behind the shoulder. The mushrooming is superb.

The 130 and 150 grain in 270 have worked very well for me and the 150 grain are good to go in 30/06. My Dad used core-lokts in his 308 religiously, I think in 150 grain.

The only time a deer ran on me was using a non core-lokt bullet in 30/06 I don't remember what they were but I think they were Federals that were on sale and me a little short on cash. The shot entered low behind the rt shoulder and angled out the left front. I am not so sure a core-lokt would have done any better on that shot. Hey he went about 10 yards and dropped dead.

retrieverman
December 19, 2007, 10:31 PM
I used to shoot Rem Corelokts in my 270 years ago with good results, but I have just started shooting a 308 and have tried the factory 150 grs. I am reloading for my 308 too and am loading some 165 gr Corelokts, but I haven't got to the range with them yet.

The 150 gr factory ammo will only shoot 1.5" at 100 yards out of my gun.

41 Mag
December 20, 2007, 10:31 AM
THe only problem I have had with the .308-150gr CL's is that they went up from the $9.89 per box I was getting them for to over $13.00.

Not that this is a big issue but I shoot so many of them, and they always do what they are supposed to do. I use them mainly for feral hog control. In the past 5 years I have not been able to duplicate the factory load in my rifle that will shoot as well. I have taken well over 100 hogs of various sizes and at ranges out to around 400yds with them and the only ones that went anywhere (which wasn't generally far) after being hit were not the bullets fault. However when you bust a pack of hogs in dense underbrush sometimes the shots aren't always spot on the mark. The CL's haven't let me down yet and I have never had to track anything with them over 30 or so yds. Check the links under my handle as most of the hogs were all taken with the .308 and CL's. Also I am using a 16" barreled one at that so that drops the velocity down over what you will get from a 20 - 24" rifle. IF anything you should get better results.

They haven't all been complete pass through shots, but with hogs your dealing with much more substantial hide and bone structure than on a deer. I haven't actually had the chance to shoot a deer with them yet but see no reason why they wouldn't work out for you in a very good manner.

thetoad45
March 4, 2009, 10:51 AM
I have used these in various calibers for years. I really liked them in the 6.5x55mm! All I can say is WOW! I purchased a couple of .270's and plan to handload the 130's soon. I was was so depressed that I have not been able to find the 150's anywhere! Did Remington do away with them???

Water-Man
March 6, 2009, 03:50 PM
I've used them with success for many years in .270, .308 and .30-06. Almost always, if they don't work, it's because of improper shot placement.

T.R.
March 6, 2009, 10:32 PM
Your friend who lost a deer can't shoot straight. All across the western Dakotas, eastern Wyoming & eastern Montana, plus western Nebraska: core-lokt is known as the deadliest mushroom in the forest.

I've had very good luck with this .308 ammo!
TR

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/muley4.jpg

retrieverman
March 7, 2009, 06:39 PM
I don't use Remington factory loaded ammo, but I do use 165 gr spire point and 170 gr round nose Corelokts in my 308 handloads and have had great success. I have killed 4 hogs in the last month ranging from 75 to 300 pounds, and all were one shot kills. Two of them dropped and two ran less than 40 yards.

I don't know about the Remington factory fodder, but I highly recommend the Corelokt bullets.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/retrieverman/Jakespictures1257.jpg

351 WINCHESTER
March 7, 2009, 08:45 PM
The only missfires I've had with center fire ammo was due to excessive headspace on a 336 marlin. I have shot ammo that was at least 50 years old and it went bang every time.

I've had very good results with corelockts although I've never recovered a single projectile. Come to think of it I've never had a bullet of any expanding type to fail. I did shoot a smallish buck once in the lungs (stupid me). I think it was a w/w silvertip. I never did find that deer. I once shot a 250-300 wild hog with a .22 mag. It hit a rib and he took 2 steps and fell over. The only remington ammo I WILL NOT BUY is their infamous golden bullet bulk pak PERIOD.

KINGMAX
March 7, 2009, 08:59 PM
QUOTE: Behind the shoulder with .270 130 grain core-lokts. The results are quite impressive.

I use the .270 / 150 grain out of a Remington 700 ADL. :fire: I prefer a neck or spine shot when up close, at distance I place the shot behind the shoulder into the lung and heart area. Bringing a deer down has not been a problem with this combination. I like to see the legs lock-up and watch them tip over in place. I hate following a blood trail onto the swamp to drag out a big deer. :cuss: My hunting is still hunting from stands and blinds, I do not use dogs.

igoodnessi
December 14, 2010, 10:34 PM
I bought my dad a Remington 760 pump in .308. The only problem he had was when he shot a deer with Wolf ball ammo because he forgot to trade it out for the Remington Corelokt he'd bought. Poor critter ran off... Since he began feeding the rifle 'mushrooms' it hasn't had a deer get away.

H&Hhunter
December 14, 2010, 10:52 PM
T.R.

It looks like somebody took a picture of you sneaking up on a dead deer. Did you get him too?;)

courtgreene
December 15, 2010, 05:16 PM
I thought I would love CL's in my .308, and I do like the concept of the bullet. Who knows, if I start reloading .308, maybe I will love them. But I will NOT be using factory CL's because Remington's primers seem to hate me. It doesn't matter if it's rifles, various handguns, or a .22 LR, if any company's factory loads are going to fail to fire it is Remington's. Winchester for me, YMMV.

TexasPatriot.308
December 15, 2010, 10:00 PM
core lokts of any caliber have proven themselves for years and still do, will continue todo so....dont understand the discussion at all..Browning 50 cals are proven and the best, core lokts are time proven and the best outside of high dollar fad ammo....spend the money if you got it but if not use common sense and go with the core lokts...

pat86323
December 16, 2010, 12:16 AM
Ok heres my take on core lokt, i have shot a mule deer (dropped on the spot neck shot) and this year i shot a calf elk with one. My elk took a 150 grain bullet at just over 200 yards right through one shoulder both lungs and stopped the bullet in the other shoulder and dumped him in his tracks. I let him lay for minute and he got back up so i shot him again and put him right back down. I was successful and all was good however i did notice one thing that bothered me alot. No exits and no blood from the entrances. I shudder to think what would have happened had i not been on the ball to hit him the second time. I doubt he would have gone far but i think id like exit wounds for blood trails. Before everyone starts saying "an elk is a big target you cant expect an exit at that range" please remember this critter wasnt much more then 200lbs on the hoof and many mulie bucks ive seen are in the same size category. I have personally seen with my own eyes a federal premium exit on a full size adult cow shot through both shoulders at almost 500 yards. Ive been very very impressed with the core lokt bullet performance but i think i might start handloading to try to get a little better load that will exit. That second hole might be the difference between a good solid blood trail or scratching your head.

FLAvalanche
December 16, 2010, 10:43 AM
Core Lokts are decent bullets. I'm convinced the only reason they are so popular is because Wal-Mart carries them. There are quite a few .308 bullets out there that greatly outperform Core Lokts.

sansone
December 16, 2010, 10:50 AM
I bought a box of core-lok (projectiles only) for reloading and was disapointed with the inconsistency of weight from bullet to bullet.

remington7OO
January 9, 2011, 05:42 PM
I have a Remington 700 and my gun shoots 1.25" 5 bullet groups at 200yds. It is the best factory ammo I have found for my gun.

shaggy430
January 10, 2011, 09:29 AM
This is my first year using Core-lokts as I have always used handloads, usually Nosler Partitions. I bought a 30-06 mid-season and didn't have a load worked up for it so I bought a box of 150 grain Remington Express Core-lokt. I killed two deer and a coyote with them.

Coyote- 50 yards, through the shoulders. The shot nearly knocked the coyote for a flip and was DRT. It was a small coyote, roughly 25 pounds, and it had a small entrance with a good exit hole. It is apparent that the bullet expanded in such a small animal.

Deer #1- doe, head shot at 50 yards. A head shot is not a great way to gauge bullet performance, but I can say that the bullet did expand well and the deer was DRT.

Deer #2- large 8 point, 175 yards. Shot through lungs. Bullet completely passed through, small entrance with a quarter size exit hole. Deer ran 40 yards and piled up, which is consistent with a lung shot. Lungs were turned to jelly. There was no evidence of bullet break-up.

All in all, I was happy with the performance of these bullets and I would recommend them to anyone as a good hunting bullet.

TexasPatriot.308
January 10, 2011, 08:24 PM
I have several .308s (imagine that) including AR10s and M1A, all shoot 150 grain CoreLokts with no problem, about all I use. it is a proven round, proven product.

brandon_mcg
January 11, 2011, 11:25 PM
core lokts is all i have used in the past. ive done some experimenting recently with other loads but have not found them to be any better for the distances that i normally hunt (no greater than 350 yds).

redhawk500
January 12, 2011, 08:46 PM
I used 180 grain Core Lokt in .308 Win on one mule deer. Dead deer on the spot. Two more the next year. The first was killed by my wife on a running 8 point mule deer, with her fourth shot, having missed with the first three. She had asked me why I loaded four rounds in her magazine that morning, a Remington 700 with 22 inch barrel, if it matters. I shot a small buck on the fifth day of our hunt, with her rifle, after being unsuccessful getting within 50 yards of a deer I wanted with a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. I shot a little too far behind the shoulder, hitting the diaphram, wanting to save as much meat as possible. The deer took a few seconds to drop. My fault entirely. I have a box of the Remington 150 grain Core Lokt rounds and if they were the first thing to come to hand for a rifle deer hunt, I wouldn't worry. Their are lots of premium bullets out there but Remington Core Lokt was the standard to beat for many years. I like to reload but if I were on a budget and was checking out the available rounds at the big stores, this bullet would be on my list, after properly sighting in and practicing. I believe is buying a 100 bullets to reload, practicing with 80 and using the last 20 on a hunting trip. I've never bought 5 boxes of factory ammo for a deer hunt but you get the idea, a properly sighted in rifle properly used.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington Core Lokt in 308 Win..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!