Metal Finishing

PDA

dispatch55126
November 25, 2007, 11:05 PM
I just purchased a Hi Point 995. Its about the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Makes my Mosin look like a fine Turkish shotgun.

Anyways, it shoots and handles great, but the metal finish stinks. Is there any way I can give it a "powder coat" type finish for durability. I don't want to actually powder coat because it can get too thick but I want something I don't have to baby after everytime I handle it.

I was thinking something like a Rustoleum "hammered", but they're too shiny.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Metal Finishing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jimmyraythomason
November 25, 2007, 11:09 PM
Try Brownell's Aluma-hyde II.

jeepmor
November 28, 2007, 12:21 PM
You could do the rustoleum hammered then satin it up with fine steel wool. Test it on something first though. Beyond that, I'd use a duracoat system, but you need compressor and airbrush gun too.

rcmodel
November 28, 2007, 12:25 PM
You don't have to have a compressor & air-brush.
Both Brownell's and Duracoat sell aerosol can oven-bake spray finishes that are just as good as the spray-gun kind.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "Metal Finishing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!