Refinish Advice Please

PDA

Chester32141
November 26, 2007, 04:37 PM
I recently inherited a turn of the century Remington Rolling Block .22 'Boys Rifle' and an old Winchester Model 1892 - .32 WCF ... These are in pretty good shape ... am I right in thinking that simply cleaning and oiling these would be better to maintain their value rather than a full takedown and rebluing ... I have no desire to shoot either other than rarely ... thank you very much for any advice you can offer. :)

Chester

If you enjoyed reading about "Refinish Advice Please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
351 WINCHESTER
November 28, 2007, 10:49 PM
Don't mess with those old rifles or you'll destroy their collector's value. Just clean them, lightly oil them an put them in a safe place.

asknight
November 28, 2007, 11:46 PM
A full takedown isn't a bad idea but only for inspecting it for rust, dust, and other enemies. A thorough cleaning and light lube to finish it off would be the order of the day. I would not reblue as it would destroy most collector value.

SigfanUSAF
November 29, 2007, 08:33 AM
Probably the greatest pro/con debate on refinishing that I've read on the net, see link below. As for the need? As a firearms restorer myself, I argue both ways. If the rust is bad,it'll get worse, and needs immediate attention. If they're patina'd, I'd do a takedown, thorough cleaning, and treat with Brownells Rust Preventative.
Most refinishes destroy value because they essentially destroy the firearm.
Professional restorations can certainly command a premium, but you'll lose the interest of purist collectors.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/540103904/m/9341007362

Chester32141
November 29, 2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys ...

Chester32141
December 9, 2007, 08:45 PM
Chester

If you enjoyed reading about "Refinish Advice Please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!