Handloading with hammers?

PDA

Oversight
November 26, 2007, 05:18 PM
What was used for handloading before all of the modern press designs?

If you enjoyed reading about "Handloading with hammers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NuJudge
November 26, 2007, 05:19 PM
Tong tools (eg the 310 tool) or arbor presses.

CDD

Slinger
November 26, 2007, 05:29 PM
My original Lee Loader, I used a hard plastic hammer on the sizing die to size the cases. Didn't take long to graduate to a turret press with carbide dies.

Ol` Joe
November 26, 2007, 08:47 PM
A powder flask/measure and ramrod were the 1st reloading tools.
Lee still makes a "reloader" kit that one uses a mallet with to deprime and seat the bullet. The tong or nutcracker tool was the first I`m aware of for reloading brass cartridges.

Pumpkinheaver
November 26, 2007, 09:09 PM
I started out with a Lee loader for my .223rem.

scrat
November 26, 2007, 09:57 PM
i think just a bout everyone once started with a lee loader. For sure they still are the best all around loading kit. to bad they dont offer full line anymore

Owens
November 26, 2007, 10:02 PM
Wilson dies and an arbor press OR same hand dies with a mallet. Seen both. I have heard that some of the hand die users prefer using a hammer. Personally, can't see why though.

Sunray
November 26, 2007, 10:18 PM
There were hand held tools that held the dies too. I suspect a lot of the early reloaders like Newton(not Sir issac) made their own tooling though.

g.willikers
December 2, 2007, 06:55 PM
dies and a small vise.

JaxJim
December 2, 2007, 09:38 PM
Nothing works better to seat primers than a ball-pean hammer!

Kidding aside, I saw a guy using some old gear drive reloader at a Black Powder event. About one and a half turns of the handle would do a full stroke on the cartridge. Looked really cool!

Walter W.
December 3, 2007, 01:41 AM
I have used a punch and a hammer to deprime my brass after I busted off the depriming pin on a die.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handloading with hammers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!