Rice as a Polishing Medium

PDA

spur0701
November 26, 2007, 06:29 PM
Anyone ever used rice as a polishing medium? Somewhere in the last week I saw a post where someone was saying they used rice and some polish to shine up some pulled bullets in a vibratory tumbler.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rice as a Polishing Medium" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GP100man
November 26, 2007, 06:32 PM
its fine as long as it stays dry ,but too much cleaner or humidity & it gums up terrible!!!

ps: welcome to the forum !!!!!!!

GP100man

lee n. field
November 26, 2007, 06:40 PM
Tried it once, for cleaning .223. Had a heck of a time getting the grains out of the cases.

TFin04
November 26, 2007, 07:07 PM
Tried it once, for cleaning .223. Had a heck of a time getting the grains out of the cases.

I've got some larger grained media that I have that problem with too. For 223, I use dry walnut which is pretty fine.

Rice is an interesting idea. Cheaper than media. Then again, my media has been lasting a lot longer than I thought it would. Sometimes it needs to be tumbled a couple hours, but that takes no more effort on my part than tumbling for 20 minutes.

eldon519
November 26, 2007, 07:17 PM
If you let rice sit out, tiny little moth-bug-things will reproduce in there and infest your house. Just keep it closed up.

Daniel964
November 26, 2007, 08:19 PM
To help keep your media clean throw one or two used dryer sheets in with the brass as you run it. The dryer sheet picks up a lot of the dust from the tumbled brass. My wife and I save all the used dryer sheets for that purpose.

Dave R
November 27, 2007, 10:28 PM
You put in USED dryer sheets? Not new ones?

Roccobro
November 27, 2007, 11:23 PM
Yes used. I put tiny pieces of new ones in with paper towel squares when I didn't have any used dryer sheets around. It was to keep the static down.

Justin

BEARMAN
November 27, 2007, 11:43 PM
A 50/50 mixture of white rice and brown rice with no polish works great and the oil that is in the brown rice makes them a little slicker and easier to resize. But I have used it mostly on pistol cases. Any of the .22 sized rifle cases have to use a very fine grain of media or it wads up in the case and takes extra effort to empty them.

Morgan
November 27, 2007, 11:57 PM
I've been using rice for years, even with .223 (use one of those rotary media separators), no problems.

Not nearly as dusty as corn or walnut, and polishes the cases nicely.

jeepmor
November 28, 2007, 08:13 AM
Looks like it works fine, bad news in high humidity environments would be my bet. Low dust factor would be nice though. Those little bugs are not something you want around though, I'd skip it and go to a pet store for lizard litter, the cheap ground walnut media source.

jmorris
November 28, 2007, 09:12 AM
$500+- on a reloading setup, $30+- on a tumbler, primers are over $25/1000, bullets are at an all time high and gas is at $3 a gallon. Media is only $1 per pound…save the money some where else. I’m all for saving money but wait until some knucklehead gets you to try the kitty litter media and you’ll understand what I mean.

HiWayMan
November 28, 2007, 03:29 PM
I've been using rice and dryer sheets for about a year now. The setup works better than I had hoped it would. In fact I'm still on the same hopper of rice, so I have about 18lbs just sitting in the basement. $7 for 20lbs is a pretty good deal to me.

no_problem
November 28, 2007, 06:32 PM
<<Tried it once, for cleaning .223. Had a heck of a time getting the grains out of the cases.>>

Don't it taste funny after it comes out of the cases?:neener::D

Master Blaster
November 28, 2007, 07:04 PM
High humidity around here, I tried it and found that the rice gummed up pretty quickly after 4 or 5 loads, It also collected weevils pretty quickly.
So since corn cob and walnut last longer, and cost about the same, thats what I use.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rice as a Polishing Medium" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!