Colt Army Special .38

PDA

Adam5
November 26, 2007, 07:54 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with one? I found what apprears to be a very good deal on one. It's a six shot double action .38 special. I did not measure the barrel, but it appears to be about 4 1/2 inches or so. It's in very good condition with about 90% blueing.

My wife has offered me $125 towards whatever I want for the holidays, and I'm considering putting it towards this or putting it towards replacing my lost I-pod.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Army Special .38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scottgv
November 26, 2007, 08:05 PM
Got one recently, no finish and pitted, Barrel slightly pitted, cylinder spun free, cracked grips. Paid a whole 50 dollars and a Rohm trade. Replaced the bolt return spring, reassembled it and shot it. It still has a great trigger and the fixed sights hit as well as any of my much better condition guns. The cylinder seemed sloppy, but it locks up tight and right. Probably my best 50 in a long time.

dfariswheel
November 26, 2007, 08:34 PM
The Army Special was made from 1908 to 1927, at which time Colt changed the name to the Official Police.

Barrel lengths of 4", 4 1/2", 5" and 6" were offered.
Calibers were 32-20, various now-obsolete .38 caliber cartridges, the .38 Special, and the obsolete .41 Colt.
Up until 1923 the grips were hard black "Gutta Percha" rubber with molded in checkering and Colt logos.
After 1923 the grips were checkered walnut with silver Colt medallions.

The Army Special design was Colt's basis for all other medium frame revolvers including the Official Police, the various Officer's Models, the original Trooper, and the Python, among others, up until the design was discontinued in 1969.

To check the manufacture date, see here:
http://proofhouse.com/colt/

The Army Special is a fine quality firearm, but as always, condition is everything.
If it needs work, there are very few places around these days that are qualified to work on the older Colt design revolvers.

keyboard commando
November 26, 2007, 09:05 PM
In the condition you described,provided it locks up tight and has no mechanical defects,I would grab it.Fine revolvers,that as mentioned, preceeded the Official Police.They are a joy to shoot and usually very accurate.:scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Army Special .38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!