Need advice on handgun rests for accurizing loads

PDA

donttellthewife
November 26, 2007, 11:52 PM
I am trying to load more accurate rounds and I need to take my shooting skills or lack of skills out of the variables. Does anyone use a lock down type rest when working up loads or sighting in a handgun with new or adjustable sites. Any advice welcomed, except of course Shooooooooooney.
Thanks, Ron

If you enjoyed reading about "Need advice on handgun rests for accurizing loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReloaderFred
November 27, 2007, 12:36 AM
In years past, I had access to a Ransom Machine Rest, which was bolted to a heavy concrete stand. That's the ultimate in accuracy testing.

Nowadays, I just use a couple of shot bags full of sand or ground walnut hull and hunker down behind them at the bench. Since I don't do a whole lot of accuracy shooting at 50 yards anymore, this method does well out to 25 yards for testing loads.

At the SHOT Show a couple of years ago, I bought a pair of shooting gloves with stiff inserts in them that also help with handgun accuracy. I'll have to dig them out and get the name of them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

ReloaderFred
November 27, 2007, 07:10 PM
The name of the shooting gloves I purchased is "PRO-AIM". They have nylon stiffeners in them which steady the shooting hand. I was skeptical when the guy gave his little talk at the SHOT Show, but I'm sold on them after using them. You can find the information at: http://www.pro-aim.com/Pro-Aim.com/Main.html

Hope this helps.

Fred

CZ57
November 27, 2007, 08:20 PM
Not exactly heavy, but Midway has an adjustable pistol rest that looks to be pretty effective and reasonable in price. I use a plastic MTM caseguard rest that works well enough to test handloads from a rest. I've probably had it 15 years or so. Paid about $12 for it. The Midway rest is definitely stouter and I may add one myself. I believe it is still under $30.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Need advice on handgun rests for accurizing loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!