Hornady LNL + Lee dies

PDA

slabuda
November 27, 2007, 09:43 AM
Ive heard said with anything other than Hornady dies in station 5 the auto eject wire hangs up? I am almost ready to buy this and wish to use Lee dies for the separate crimp in station 5.

If you do this and have modified the die can you take a pic of it to show how much and explain how you shortened it please?

Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady LNL + Lee dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
IMtheNRA
November 27, 2007, 11:23 AM
Hello, you heard correctly. Here is the quote from Hornady's site with their suggestion:

*Note: Some manufacturers taper crimp dies may interfere with the ejector wire when they are used in station 5. Hornady New Dimension Taper Crimp Dies are designed to work flawlessly in station 5. If you will be using dies other than Hornady, we suggest that you use our powder through expander and install the taper crimp die in the 4th station. Ejector wires are set at the factory and we DO NOT RECOMMEND adjustment.

zxcvbob
November 27, 2007, 11:56 AM
It's not just lee dies. I've tried several different brands of crimp dies in the 5th station and none of them work without modification. I just use the first 4 stations.

I'm pretty sure any 9mm crimp die will work in the 5th station to taper crimp 38 Specials and .357 Magnums. (I just thought of that) I may give that a try...

Waldog
November 27, 2007, 11:58 AM
Manufacturers other than Hornady will hit the ejector wire. Hornady taper crimp dies are a little shorter and do not interfere with the ejector wire. HOWEVER, ANY crimp die can be modified to work perfectly with the LNL. If you have a lathe you can shorten your die. Or, it seems most people use a grinder or a Dremel grinder to grind a notch in the side of the die so that it does not interfere with the ejector wire. It isn't the best alternative but, it beats buying all new crimp dies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady LNL + Lee dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!