1911 ambi-safety

PDA

Gunner4h1r3
November 27, 2007, 03:15 PM
I am in the process of installing an ambi safety on my full-size 1911A1.

Now, I am wondering which "type" to install. I have seen there are two types, one of which requires a set of grips with a slot cut in them and the other types requires a couple of pins that replace the stock ones.

Any advice, experience, or recommendations would be welcome.

Gunner

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 ambi-safety" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
darwin-t
November 28, 2007, 12:41 AM
I installed one from King's

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/safety.html

201A

You replace the hammer pin, remove the right grip to allow the right side safety to swing upward on the pin. Replacing the grip prevents the safety from coming off.

It worked well. I had to fit it, of course. The frame was just a bit too thick which made the movement tight. I sanded just a bit off of the back of the right hand tang until it worked proerly.

It's the only ambi safety I have ever installed, so I have no point of reference for comparison.

target1911
November 28, 2007, 01:43 AM
Ther are actually 3 different ones that I am aware of.
1...tang that goes behind right grip
2...Pinned...replaces the sear pin...I have one and dont like it...tends to bind
3...Pinned...replaces the hammer pin...Kimber uses these now....the ones I have used seem to work GREAT. This will be the one that get with in the next month.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 ambi-safety" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!