First 1911 - Rock Island or Taurus?

PDA

TFin04
November 27, 2007, 06:29 PM
Heard good and bad about both of these guns. Have shot one example from each and both shot well.

The base RIA is cheaper, but I do like the features that Taurus offers.

Most reviews are positive for each gun, and it seems Taurus has better customer service should something go wrong.

This will be a competition and carry gun, but will be used mostly in configuration I buy it in. For that, the extended safety and other features on the Taurus leads me that way.

What say you?

If you enjoyed reading about "First 1911 - Rock Island or Taurus?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CWL
November 27, 2007, 06:33 PM
For a "competition" gun, I'd suggest that you get a Springfield Armory loaded model.

The more you shoot it, the more you'll notice the difference in a forged gun over a cast gun. RIAs are good guns, but the fit & finish is way below that of the SA pistols.

kamagong
November 27, 2007, 06:33 PM
Between those two brands I would get a RIA Tactical. It has a beavertail safety, and upgraded hammer and sights. They're available for around $450.

Where did you hear that Taurus has better customer service? I was under the impression that RIA had the superior CS.

TFin04
November 27, 2007, 07:00 PM
Where did you hear that Taurus has better customer service? I was under the impression that RIA had the superior CS.

I haven't really researched either in depth, I just know I've read a lot of good stories about Taurus' CS. Maybe that's because their guns need work more... ;)

I wasn't aware of the RIA Tactical. I'll check that out, thanks.

I like the Springfield loaded, but it's a bit out of the price I'd like to pay right now.

kamagong
November 27, 2007, 08:04 PM
Here's a review on the RIA Tactical.

http://ezine.m1911.org/RIATactical.htm

gp911
November 27, 2007, 08:10 PM
Get a Glock. :D

Hey-oooooh!

All right, THR thread inevitability #479 has been satisfied. In the meantime, I haven't heard anyone complaining about either one of those, at least among those that own them.

I have shot the SA Loaded version mentioned previously, alongside a RIA model, and there is a noticeable difference in feel. The Loaded models are nice for the price, but I haven't shot a Taurus to provide firsthand feedback on them.

gp911

TFin04
November 27, 2007, 08:14 PM
Get a Glock.

'Got plenty of plastipistols. :)

The RIA Tactical is looking promising.

One question- The Taurus and RIA comes with an 8 round magazine, while the others (Springfield) come with 7 round mags. All three have similar overall height listings, am I correct to assume that the Taurus and RIA jam one more round into the same size gun?

Pardon my inexperience with 1911's, but a Gov model is usually 7+1 and an Operator model is 6+1, correct?

How common are 8 round guns/mags?

Okay...that was three questions. Sorry! :)

MJZZZ
November 27, 2007, 08:49 PM
I've got a RIA GI that Armscor installed a beavertail and commander hammer for me. It had a FTRB issue a couple of times during breakin, so I put an 18lb Wolff spring in it and I love it. I paid $306 for it new, sweet pistol. Mike

10-Ring
November 27, 2007, 08:54 PM
Based on the new RIA guns I've seen & the experience I've had w/ Taurus, I'd go w/ RIA

AndyC
November 27, 2007, 10:13 PM
I bought an RIA Tactical - and I'm real picky about my handguns.

12Bravo20
November 27, 2007, 11:00 PM
I just bought a RIA Tactical and am very happy with it. Then again I am/was used to the old "rattle battle" 1911's that I carried in the service. Both the RIA and Taurus have received good reviews.

v8stang289
November 27, 2007, 11:57 PM
I bought a Taurus pt1911 in Sept 06 and have put about 1000 rounds through it, I am very pleased with it and highly recommend it. It has functioned flawlessly so far and is pretty accurate. It also has a forged frame and slide (not sure if the RIA does). The only downside I can think of is price, when I bought mine it was 449 + tax but they seem to be going for more now.

HM2PAC
November 28, 2007, 06:44 AM
The RIA has a forged slide and a cast frame. Armscor imports them from the PI, and I can attest to their customer service as being A#1.

I love mine, and will more than likely tart it up with nite sites, before buying more Rocks.

To hear some testimonies from Taurus owners and RIA owners visit http://forum.m1911.org/index.php?

Spot77
November 28, 2007, 09:12 AM
+1 for the RIA....it's about the only one of my handguns I ever shoot anymore.

Sorry I can't compare it to the Taurus though.........no experience there.

strat81
November 28, 2007, 09:55 AM
RIA Tactical.

I've been on THR for a year now and haven't heard one nice thing about Taurus CS. Luckily, my Taurus 24/7 has been fine.

nathan
November 28, 2007, 10:01 AM
Thumbs up for the RIA Tactical. Just a great product.

larryw
November 28, 2007, 05:19 PM
Regarding the 7 and 8 rd mags. Same gun, frame, magazine and mag spring. Difference is the mag follower; the 8 round follower holds the cartridge more in line with the bore axis whereas the 7 is pointed up a bit more (towards the chamber). Conventional wisdom is that the 7 rounders will feed better, but conventional wisdom is often wrong or irrelevant.

5Wire
November 28, 2007, 06:26 PM
Bud's has Taurus for $504, delivered. (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/85/products_id/17285) I just got one locally (not from Bud's) and it's very well made, tight and accurate. I haven't shot it enough to have anything other than a good opinion on it.

All the reviews I've read praise the gun. It's got a lot of custom type stuff on it. A good buy, IMO.

AndyC
November 28, 2007, 06:36 PM
Conventional wisdom is that the 7 rounders will feed better, but conventional wisdom is often wrong or irrelevant.
If 1911Tuner reads that, I'm making popcorn :D

toddmog
November 28, 2007, 06:46 PM
I'd say go withe RIA Tactical. I'm in the same boat...looking at both. I think when the Christmas money comes, I'm gonna order the RIA. And if enough money comes a S&W 642 is on my short list too...along with a couple others!

AZAndy
November 28, 2007, 06:50 PM
AndyC, I'll bring the beverages. Could be good.

A.

Mr.Revolverguy
November 28, 2007, 07:19 PM
I have a RIA Tactical I got 3 months ago for 360 delivered then I had to pay 25 for ffl. I have about 500 rounds through it right now all middle of the road reloads using trailboss powder and it is very accurate. I have had no failures and I am very happy with my purchase. I was feeling bad because a few guys at the range were poking fun at me about me being cheap. I showed up yesterday at the range and one of the guys was trying out his brand new RIA LOL.

larryw
November 28, 2007, 09:23 PM
Sheesh, what is it with guys named Andy...

bobdavis
November 28, 2007, 10:59 PM
Based on the reviews i've seen (never seen one IRL) they sound like a great value. Any thoughts on them?

STI's Spartan page (http://stiguns.com/guns/Spartan/Spartan.html)

kansas45
November 29, 2007, 12:27 AM
I have 3 RIA's & sold my Taurus PT1911. The PT is a very god pistol, I just seem to like the model 70's better than the 80's. I had put 8000 rounds through the PT without any trouble. The RIA's are good, trouble free accurate pistold also. Mine are a GI, Tactical & a 38 Special.

highorder
November 29, 2007, 12:55 AM
I love my RIA.

I hand fit the beavertail, thumb safety, trigger, added new sights and changed a few springs. mind you it shot great out of the box!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/highorder/ria.jpg

smee781
November 29, 2007, 06:41 AM
The only mag you ever need to use on a 1911 is a wilson combat! Best mags I've ever used.

REPOMAN
November 29, 2007, 09:30 AM
RIA all the way..........:)

JWarren
December 1, 2007, 04:33 PM
I have the RIA Mil-spec (non-tactical) and love it. For a number of reasons, I actually preferred the non-tactical one-- but I may get one later.

-- John

If you enjoyed reading about "First 1911 - Rock Island or Taurus?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!