mmm glock 17 has arrived -question

PDA

brentn
November 28, 2007, 10:49 PM
Just got it in the morning before work, I was standing there in only my boxers signing for the package from canada post, guy didn't look to happy.

I had 15 minutes to check it out, it was everything that I have hoped for heh.. However I hate to admit it, but it feels so much like a toy. I've never owned a polymer pistol before, and its lightweight feel compared to my 1911 feels just like a movie prop or something :D Not to offend anyone on that last comment, but it will take some getting used to.

The only thing that I didn't really like was the trigger pull, it wasn't so hard as it feels slightly sluggish, its not crisp at all like my worked 1911. Since this is a striker fired pistol, I don't know enough about it to do any mods myself, but I did find a guide on altering trigger pull. Really though I would love a drop in, where I can go back to the standard trigger pull if I so choose, just so that I don't have a permanent modification.

Point being, glockmeister has a drop in trigger kit for 65$, has anyone tried this?
I haven't even fired it yet, and I'm putting 500 rounds into it on thursday, I suppose its too early to tell about the trigger pull and if I'll like it. But I'm just exploring my options.

Thanks for your response.

I would have posted this on the glock talk forum but I can't get an account as my IP address is banned. Never been there before so I don't know how thats possible and the email I wrote to the admin hasn't been read as I havent heard a response.

If you enjoyed reading about "mmm glock 17 has arrived -question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
steelyblue
November 28, 2007, 10:59 PM
I know a Glock guy that is very happy with that drop in. I personally did not like the Glock that I bought. It may have been a different story if I had bought a smaller calliber, but I hated it in a 45. It had nothing to do with the trigger, however. I have to say that they have one of the smoothest DA trigger pulls I've ever felt and the trigger reset is very short so follow up shots are almost like SA. What I hated was the recoil experience. I prefer steel by far.

creekerdoug
November 28, 2007, 11:01 PM
For a lot less ($12 to $20 US) you can get a 3.5 lb connector from several vendors which will help a lot with your trigger. I think you'll be pleased if you try one. Good luck with your new gun. And yes I'm a Glock guy. I have two G34s, a G19, a G26 and a G21. I like them. Perhaps too much.........

The Lone Haranguer
November 28, 2007, 11:23 PM
The only thing that I didn't really like was the trigger pull, it wasn't so hard as it feels slightly sluggish, its not crisp at all like my worked 1911.
You've just described every Glock ever made. ;)

I haven't even fired it yet, and I'm putting 500 rounds into it on thursday, I suppose its too early to tell about the trigger pull and if I'll like it.
I would recommend that you get in some "happy time" with it and get used to it. One thing to note is that when firing repeat shots, you do not have to let the trigger return fully forward, only to its reset point.

I have looked at these trigger kits or parts and really don't see what they bring to the table. The ones that lighten the pull do not appear to do much for the "crispness" or overtravel (which feels like a sort of "bounce"), and it seems counterproductive to make it heavier with the NY-1 trigger spring, even mated with the 3.5# connector bar. I have elected to leave my trigger as is.

mballai
November 28, 2007, 11:29 PM
The way to get a Glock trigger to behave is to install a Ghost Rocket connector. It's a bit of work to do it, but it's heaven once you do. A gunsmith can install it if you don't feel up to the task.

mekender
November 29, 2007, 12:11 AM
must be nice to be able to get a handgun delivered while i was still in my boxers

R&J
November 29, 2007, 01:05 AM
Congrats on a great 9 mm combat handgun! :D

I bought my G17 in June of 2006, and have put nearly 8000 rounds through it, without so much as a hiccup! ;)

Plus, it has already paid for itself in ammo savings, over shooting .45 acp (I have a G21 too). :cool:

--Ray

brentn
November 29, 2007, 02:36 AM
Yea I bought it because of its claimed reliability and the fact that 9mm costs substantially less than 45acp.

I'll check out that spring after I have some 'happy time' with it on thurs. I'm going to detail strip it and clean up all of the shipping grease and CLP that it came in and polish up the trigger points. I don't know the name of the parts yet but I see how they work. The surface on the striker and the part of the trigger bar that makes contact after the slide is racked could be polished nicely so that the travel is smooth and not sluggish.

Thanks for the advice guys

brentn
November 29, 2007, 04:42 AM
Hmmm...

Detail strip acomplished, just going to clean the barrel slide and frame in the sink.
But uh, note to EVERYONE here, do not, and I repeat, do NOT put the barrel/slide assembly onto the stripped frame to see what it looks like....
The damn slide lock spring got caught on the grooves of the barrel lugs, I tried forcing the slide off and the friggen spring bent FORWARD inside the frame!
So yea, trying to get that off was damn near impossible, I was fishing a thin thin screw driver down the recoil spring guide rod hole on the front of the slide trying to bend it back...
After an hour of toying, I figured a way to get it held back so that I could slide the slide assembly off again....

jeez... another dumb thing to add to my list. Live and learn :D

Slvr Surfr
November 29, 2007, 07:06 AM
I'm guessing you have already seen this but just in case you want to smooth out your trigger. http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

It will do what just shooting the gun will normally do.

If you enjoyed reading about "mmm glock 17 has arrived -question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!