Make me smart about this ammo...

PDA

Chris Rhines
July 20, 2003, 12:30 PM
Saw it on ammoman.com, for sale at a pretty good price ($160/1000.)

http://www.ammoman.com/IMAGES/Speer_9-124P_2.jpg

So tell me, is it worth buying some? Or is it 'factory-second' ammo that I can expect reliability problems from? Would you carry it/load it in a defensive gun?

If I do buy some, I'll probably go ahead and get 1000-1500 rounds so's I can do some extensive function-testing.

Thanks all,
Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Make me smart about this ammo..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quintin Likely
July 20, 2003, 12:43 PM
I've still got about 200 rounds of this stuff in 180 gr .40 cal.

From what I understand, I think it's leftovers that Speer determined wasn't up to their standards for duty/carry/personal protection ammo. So they box it up, brand it as "practice ammo" and sell it cheap. All I've used it for is range ammo, even though it's been very reliable in my P239.

Bartholomew Roberts
July 20, 2003, 04:02 PM
It was ammo intended for LE use that was recalled by Speer. I believe the issue was hard primers not detonating reliably.

FJC
July 20, 2003, 05:10 PM
I've been told the same, that it was recalled due to hard primers. I seem to recall posts saying that it was generally very reliable - it sounded like it would be flawless in a hammer-strike style pistol, but may be too hard for some striker-fired pistols.

That said, I've fired around 150 rounds of the stuff with no problems in a P7M8 (striker system), and 200+ in a BHP (hammer) and haven't had any issues.

If you're buying it for range use, I wouldn't worry about it - but due to Speers concerns, I wouldn't (and don't) use it for carry/defensive/LE purposes.

Justin
July 20, 2003, 05:20 PM
I ordered some of the stuff a few weeks ago. I've shot probably 50 rounds of it. Just out of curiosity I called Speer and asked them what the story was. Apparently they had an issue with some of the primers not detonating which could cause a misfire. The person I spoke with told me that the odds of getting a bad primer are about 1/100,000. So it's up to you if you want to play the odds and carry it or just use it for practice ammo and function testing mags/guns.

And
There
You
Go

If you enjoyed reading about "Make me smart about this ammo..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!