Went with Beretta Cheetah 87

PDA

amprecon
November 28, 2007, 11:02 PM
I had been looking for a .22 auto that wasn't too large and heavy to pack around but was also accurate enough for range use and plinking. I had it narrowed down to the Bersa/Firestorm .22lr. However I have been unable to locate a new one (or used one for that matter). I tired of looking for and waiting to find one and started considering other options, trying to find as much information on any other .22 autos of the same class.

Of course I noticed the Beretta Cheetah 87 and quickly balked at it's price tag. I didn't give it much of a second thought, but then I resumed my search, it ended pretty quickly to say the least. There just aren't many options for this type of handgun. So I took another look at the Cheetah 87, read some more reviews and decided to stop by a local store after work today to see one that they just so happened to have in stock.

This is one elegant and classic looking, well made pistol. It fit the hand well and will fit the bill I've been looking for. The price tag...it is pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for. As I couldn't bring it home right away, I did put it on lay-away and am looking forward to shooting it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Went with Beretta Cheetah 87" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Onmilo
November 28, 2007, 11:27 PM
Great .22 handgun.
Find and hoard magazines for your pistol.
They are the weak link.

skeeter1
November 29, 2007, 01:40 AM
I love my Beretta 87 Cheetah. Nothing fits my hand as well, and it functions flawlessly. As noted above, spare magazines aren't easy to come by, and genuine Beretta magazines are expensive. I just got a pair of them from Midway for $95.

bannockburn
November 29, 2007, 06:18 AM
Before there was the Model 87, there was a really neat .22 made by Beretta; it was the Model 70S. It was compact, ergonomic, accurate, and ultra reliable. It has been my companion on my trips out in the field.
http://http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc231/buckeroobanzai/DSC02719.jpghttp://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc231/buckeroobanzai/DSC02719.jpg

Shear_stress
November 29, 2007, 08:57 AM
Great choice. Beretta's all metal .22 pistols (948, 70-series, 87, etc.) are some of my favorite guns.

Bannockburn: I've never seen a nickeled 70S before. Very nice.

Hokkmike
November 29, 2007, 10:01 AM
I have always equated Beretta with quality firearms. I have a Beretta shotgun and now a Beretta pistol in .40 S & W. You have made a good choice.

amprecon
November 29, 2007, 06:56 PM
As I was at the store yesterday evening considering it the clerk seemed to get real interested in me wanting one. He then went on to describe to me silencer options and gave me a contact where I could have the gun professionally modified and have a "can" built for it, then have it authorized for private ownership. He showed me his where he had one attached to his Walther P22 and says it's the real cats meow. He says the real kick is putting one on a 10/22 rifle.

usp9
November 29, 2007, 09:14 PM
amprecon,
Cheetah 87, great gun...congrats.

The cat's meow is a full auto, suppressed 10/22.:D Cooler than Polar bear poop.

Have fun and be safe.

Shipwreck
November 29, 2007, 09:37 PM
Very nice!

amprecon
December 3, 2007, 09:36 PM
Finally a pic, but no range yet. Will post results following.

amprecon
December 10, 2007, 03:09 PM
Finally took it to the range and, oh man, what a sweet shooter. I used CCI Mini-Max Velocity and the bulk box of Federals. Using the CCI's there were no issues at all, everything ran fine and smooth. Using the Federals I started having hang-ups with one magazine that I wasn't able to resolve at the range.
Upon bringing it home and examining the magazines did I notice that the rear of the feed lips were curved inward, in essence placing excess friction on the rim of the round as the slide brought it forward and into battery. It would be enough friction to push the nose of the round downward and catch on the bottom of the feed ramp. After working the feed lips of the one magazine I took it back to the range and it ran perfectly with either ammo and with either magazine with no misfeeds or failures to eject at all. I did have a misfire which did fire after a second strike attempt in DA.
This pistol has a "fat" grip for a .22 which I believe is conducive to it's accuracy. All target firing was done at 7yds and I was able to keep everything within the 10 ring with relative ease. The sights took some getting used to as I am more used to the Glock sight setup, but after learning the trigger and how the sight picture was supposed to be, it wasn't bad at all. I even took some shots at an empty shotgun shell on the berm just past the 15yd target stands and was able to strike it a couple of times, definitely minute of squirrel or rabbit.
I can understand the hype behind Beretta pistols now for sure. The grip feels good and natural. The build quality is impeccable, it is built with care and precision and the action feels as if it rides on butter.
It is not a competition pistol for sure, although priced like one, but it is accurate enough and reliable enough to be a keeper.

If you enjoyed reading about "Went with Beretta Cheetah 87" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!