glock .45 grips

PDA

bender
November 29, 2007, 04:16 PM
I notice that the Glock .45s that I have handled (the full size one and the compact one...) have grips that are uncomfortably 'long' for me. I mean front-to-back long. The width is fine. Other .45s (XDs, etc) have grips that are more 'square', and more comfortable for me.

I have average big hands and normally like big grips. Just wondering why the glock .45 grips are so long, compared to other hi-cap .45 pistols. I mean, it's not like the .45 is a long round... :confused:

(I haven't handled the sub-compact glock .45 yet)

If you enjoyed reading about "glock .45 grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CountGlockula
November 29, 2007, 04:28 PM
The Full size short frame or the Sub Compact slim frame would be your best bet.

D-Man
November 29, 2007, 04:33 PM
The 21SF model addresses your specific complaint about the grips, though for me it still didn't do enough to allow a comfortable grip.

I believe Glock's end up being a little big thicker than others because the magazines are all polymer. Some of the 'thinner' gripped double-stack .45's like the M&P or XD utilize metal in the magazines so they are still strong but not as thick.

bender
November 30, 2007, 11:54 AM
I wasn't aware about the "sf" model, thanks. I searched on THR and found an old thread (March 2007) about the diffs between the 21 and the 21sf. There were about 10 different opinions though... :confused:

I'll check my local retailers and compare a 21 and a 21sf for myself. I don't keep up with glock much, and I've never owned one.

CountGlockula
November 30, 2007, 01:18 PM
I'd recommend stopping by your local range that rents out Glock and try it for yourself. You'll have a better opinion when shooting 50-100 rounds out of it.

Good luck! The G21 is a great gun.

PO2Hammer
November 30, 2007, 03:14 PM
The thick walled metal/plastic mags create the need for the deep magwell. Even though the grip is large, the Glock 21 is a great handling .45acp.

Have you looked at the H&K USP .45? If you like a squarish grip and have big hands, there's not a finer .45acp out there.

Desertscout
December 1, 2007, 02:58 AM
The 21SF is quite an improvement over the old G21 but not enough for us. When we get through with them, it's even better...:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Desertscout1/New%20Glocks/IMG_G21SF.jpg

bender
December 1, 2007, 07:28 AM
Never owned a glock yet. I remember reading Boston's Gun Bible a while back, and he was big on Glocks. He thought they were what pistols should be... "they're simple, and they work"

I may go to sportsmans warehouse today and check them out.

1911RjB
December 1, 2007, 07:30 AM
get bigger metal hands, its a risky surgery but i think its worth it

bender
December 1, 2007, 06:03 PM
I believe Glock's end up being a little big thicker than others because the magazines are all polymer
I didn't know that either. Like I said, I don't really keep up with glock, and never owned one.

I did go to sportsmans warehouse today and check out the G21 and the G21SF. Yes, the SF had a better grip. I compared my finger positions between both grips, and it seems like the SF was just a few mm's smaller. Not a big diff, but better, yes. Not sure how I like it compared to say, an XD or something else.

If you enjoyed reading about "glock .45 grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!