Armalite AR 24 Range Report

PDA

RPCVYemen
November 30, 2007, 12:14 AM
I just took my Ar-24 to the range and shot it.

Unfortunately I am not a whizbang shooter, so I can't tell you much about accuracy. I am still learning how to shoot. I can usually - with the Blackhawk - call my shots as the leave the barrel. By that I mean, that the sight picture right before the recoils hits tells me whether the shot is going to be a good one or not. I don't meant that all of them are good, but generally, the Blackhawk shoot pretty much where I am it. Tonight shooting freehand at 25 meters, I shot about a 4" group with my Blackhawk. That's sort of my limit right now.

I did not shoot the AR-24 that well, but it also seemed to put the rounds where I aimed them.

I had fun. It worked fine. I had one failure to extract, but I had a very loose grip with that shot. I generally shoot a Ruger Blackhawk, and I was monkeying around with my grip, trying to adjust to an auto.

The hardest thing for me to adjust to is the patience during the trigger pull - the Blackhawk has next to no creep, so switching to a DA/SA auto, it feels like it takes 15 minutes to pull smoothy through.

I got the AR-24 with the adjustable sights and the checked grips. I really liked sights and the grips. The sight were a big help to my tired old eyes.

I got the 15 rounder, and I sort of wished I hadn't. Boy, I burned through some ammo in a hurry. I was shooting some Walmart Winchester 115gr, and I burned through 100 of them a lot faster than I go through the 45 LC in my Blackhawk.

There was a guy at the range who had a CZ 75. We exchanged guns and shot a magazine. Between the weight of the AR-24 and checkering, it didn't tend to jump anywhere near as high in recoil. The extra weight of the steel fame makes quite a difference. The trigger pull on his CZ 75 seemed a lot longer, but also slightly smoother. He said he's got about 1500 rounds through his CZ 75 - I hope the AR-24 smooth out as I shoot it.

I had a lot of fun, and I am happy I bought the gun.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Armalite AR 24 Range Report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JHansenAK47
November 30, 2007, 02:02 AM
I just dry fired my AR24 with snap caps and my trigger smoothed out.

jaydubya
November 30, 2007, 09:53 PM
"I got the 15 rounder, and I sort of wished I hadn't. Boy, I burned through some ammo in a hurry. I was shooting some Walmart Winchester 115gr, and I burned through 100 of them a lot faster than I go through the 45 LC in my Blackhawk."

Here is a tip from a Hi Power (13 +1 rounds) shooter: when at the range, load only five rounds in your magazine. Make them count. That's all you would have time for in a typical SD/HD situation anyway. This will also give you time to relax between firings, while you reload the magazine. I went this way after I realized that, halfway through a full magazine, I was starting to spray.
Cordially, Jack

JHansenAK47
December 1, 2007, 12:15 AM
Here is a tip from a Hi Power (13 +1 rounds) shooter: when at the range, load only five rounds in your magazine. Make them count. That's all you would have time for in a typical SD/HD situation anyway.
Another thing you can do is put snap caps in your mags. Mix them up so you don't know which is which and practice speed clearing. (TAP RACK BANG)
That way you just do it and don't think about it for a split second. (MUSCLE MEMORY)

Pilot
December 1, 2007, 11:07 AM
There was a guy at the range who had a CZ 75. We exchanged guns and shot a magazine. Between the weight of the AR-24 and checkering, it didn't tend to jump anywhere near as high in recoil. The extra weight of the steel fame makes quite a difference.

I don't understand this statement. If the CZ was a true CZ-75 or 75B, it would also have a steel frame and be similar in weight to the AR-24. Maybe you were shooting an alloy framed CZ variant? PCR, P-01, etc.?

If you enjoyed reading about "Armalite AR 24 Range Report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!