Beretta 92

PDA

The Ruckus
November 30, 2007, 02:12 AM
Due to the fact that I live in Michigan I cannot buy from a dealer. So I've found a person willing to sell his 92 to me. Here's a few problems... when he purchased the handgun the dealer told him it was brand new yet he got no polymer case, and no cleaning kit (does this always happen at a gun show?) secondly he's not very good with guns and cannot actually identify if it's new by inspecting it, or identify if it's a 92F or a 92FS. Not only that, but he lives in Idaho is there some type of process in which he can mail me a handgun? With all that said would you even bother, if you would how much would you buy it for?

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 92" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jack19
November 30, 2007, 04:54 AM
Why can't you buy from a dealer in Michigan? Are you unable to acquire a purchase permit or otherwise prohibited from buying a weapon by law?

He can't mail you the weapon directly, it is a violation of federal law. Interstate transfers of pistols must go through an FFL, at minimum, on the receiving end (unless you are dealing with a set of circumstances I won't go into here.)

Shipwreck
November 30, 2007, 08:33 AM
92FS says 92FS on the slide.

And, your friend got lied to probably - about it being new. U don't by a new gun w/ all the stuff missing...

kle
November 30, 2007, 12:44 PM
Well I bought a new 92FS "Police Special" this past month, which was a basic 92FS (black Bruniton finish, standard 3-dot sights, plastic grips, etc.) with 3 magazines, a cable-lock, and no plastic box or cleaning supplies. Which I suppose means that the gun is supposed to be carried in a holster all the time (as opposed to being stored in a plastic box).

And yeah, if the buyer is in a different state and wants to ship the gun, it's gotta go to an FFL dealer, who will then perform the transfer. Which would negate the "workaround" you're describing...

The Ruckus
November 30, 2007, 08:03 PM
I could not buy from a dealer yet because I'm only 20.

kmrcstintn
November 30, 2007, 09:42 PM
IIRC...

Federal law states that you must be 21 before you can LEGALLY purchase & possess your own handgun...wait 'til yer legal :scrutiny:

FieroCDSP
December 1, 2007, 01:06 AM
Obey the law in this case and wait it out. There ain't nuthin worth losing all of your useful rights, and certainly not a matter of a year.

zachsm
December 1, 2007, 01:16 AM
IIRC...

Federal law states that you must be 21 before you can LEGALLY purchase & possess your own handgun...wait 'til yer legal

kmrcstintn, in Michigan and Indiana (at least i think) you can legally buy a handgun at the age of 18, and get your ccp. But when you buy a firearm, you can't buy it from a dealer. When you buy it from a dealer, you need to be 21.

Id say he should go for it. Better now then later. Although, I think he should consider sellers within his area for face-to-face deals.

Skunkabilly
December 1, 2007, 03:27 AM
>> There ain't nuthin worth losing all of your useful rights, and certainly not a matter of a year. <<

+1

The Ruckus
December 1, 2007, 04:11 PM
Skunk, his statement was rendered void by Zachsm. The legal age to purchase a handgun in Michigan is 18 not 21. No one here is breaking the law, what so ever.

Anyhow, turns out it's actually a 92G which wasn't what I'm looking for. So hopefully I can find someone in Michigan with a decent 9mm for sale.

IZinterrogator
December 1, 2007, 04:40 PM
Don't knock the 92G. I love having the decocker only. I like it so much, a Beretta 96G-SD with a Surefire X200 rests in my nightstand. No safety means no chance of accidentally activating it when I don't want to.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 92" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!