Dirty Dies?

PDA

dubious
December 1, 2007, 02:26 AM
I've been noticing a lot of dark grey gooey gunk on my ammo that comes out of my Lee Turret press in 44 mag... any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dirty Dies?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esheato
December 1, 2007, 02:37 AM
What type of bullets are you using?

Umm, yeah...clean the dies.

For example, I load a lot of LSWC on a Dillon. Occasionally, I notice lube squeezing out the top of the seat die. I break down the seat and crimp dies and clean them out.

Ed

JDGray
December 1, 2007, 10:17 AM
Dirty Dies, done dirt cheap, Dirty dies, done dirt cheap

Sorry, must be all the Meds:D

Clark
December 1, 2007, 10:21 AM
From reading Varmint Al's website, I learned to put the sizer die in the mini lathe, spin it, and poke in a Q-tip with Flitz on it.
Obviously, this is done with the expander ball/decapping pin stem removed.
It really gets 'em clean.

http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm
POLISH THE DIES.... I polish the inside of my rifle reloading dies. Most die manufacturers leave the die bores smooth but not polished. A polished die will resize with much less axial force than one in the as-received condition. I disassemble them and put a little Flitz on a cotton bore mop held in a drill motor and polish each one for 30 seconds or more at a 300 to 600 rpm speed. Sometimes I have to wrap a paper towel around the swab to get a good fit. Then I clean all the polish out with hot water and dry with a paper towel wrapped around a clean cotton swab. The polishing process does not remove a measurable amount of material, but results in smoother operation, minimizes the scratching or scoring of the brass, and minimizes crumpling problems when I use them while forming wildcat brass.
http://www.varmintal.com/flitz.gif

I have an ultrasonic cleaner now, I should try that too.

BigJakeJ1s
December 2, 2007, 11:41 PM
Are you shooting lead bullets (as opposed to jacketed, etc.)? The reason I ask is that their lubricant eventually gums up the works in the seating die. I really like the Hornady seating dies for that. They disassemble for cleaning without affecting settings, like the Dillon seaters do, except the Hornady has the floating alignment sleeve, optional micrometer adjustment, and can crimp while seating. Just pull the spring clip on the bottom of the die, and the innards come out for cleaning.

Andy

kestak
December 3, 2007, 07:16 AM
Greetings,

With my Hard cast lead bullets, the blue lube gunk the dies in my Dillon 550B stations 3 and four. I just dissasemble the dies and clean them gently with a brass brush.

Thank you

qajaq59
December 3, 2007, 09:35 AM
I use Lyman dies to load cast for my 30-30s. They are quick and easy to clean. And I clean and oil them after I'm done loading because we're near the salt water and they'd be ruined real quick if I didn't.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dirty Dies?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!