Questions on gun control

PDA

MicroBalrog
July 20, 2003, 09:10 PM
How big is ATF's budget? (I've heard it's 600 million, is that true?)

How many people are currently in prison for violations of GCA-68, NFA-34, FOPA-86, or the AWB? How much does it cost, per year, to keep them there?

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions on gun control" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
July 21, 2003, 09:30 PM
Dunno the BATFE budget. I imagine a larger part than most susp0ect goes to their investigative folks with their laboratories for explosives. Same for alcohol, since there's a ton of tax-stuff connected with that.

GCA '34? Probably not very many. Very few full-auto problems. Sawn-off shotguns, when used in crimes, generally wind up in a state-court charge concerning the misuse of the firearm--which, really, could be any old firearm.

GCA '68? Almost none. Lots of dead trees (paper) for little efficacy.

Generally, ATF does more hassle than prosecution. Many of their prosecutions result in verdicts of not guilty, although the grabbed-off firearms wind up rusty, damaged, and rarely returned.

Unsane laws and regulations result in irrational prosecutions, but the costs to the victims and taxpayers are unending...

Art

sm
July 21, 2003, 09:50 PM
Well said Art.

Alcohol : Prohibition sure made money for a certain political family in Mass.

At least the ones making ETOH for "medicinal" purposes were hard working folks, honest with themselves, and not on dole. Took a natural resource and had fuel for warmth and vehicles. Sounds like Free Enterprise to me.

"Revenuers" just found another way to make money--taxes.

I get a kick when people find out where NASCAR got its roots...I'm sure some oldtimers just thumb their nose at the Mass. bunch.

..."rumbling engines...you can smell the whiskey burning going down Copperhead Road..."

Not that I would have any experience with big engines, stout suspensions, and 'backroads'... ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions on gun control" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!