Do Rugers tend to shoot faster???

PDA

Blueduck
July 20, 2003, 08:45 PM
Just going over a few threads with chrono results and seemed (in that small sample) that Ruger revolvers tended to have a bit higher MV numbers than similar bbl'ed S/W's.

Not really enough to make any real difference, but anyone notice a trend with testing results or just a fluke???

If you enjoyed reading about "Do Rugers tend to shoot faster???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TallPine
July 20, 2003, 09:06 PM
Ruger revolvers tended to have a bit higher MV numbers than similar bbl'ed S/W's.

Could have something to do with the fact that Ruger barrels come in 2 1/8, 3 1/8, etc ....

bad_dad_brad
July 20, 2003, 10:47 PM
I doubt that there is enough difference in muzzle velocity to matter one way or the other. People tend to choose Rugers for their ruggedness, big bore versatility, and they are a bit cheaper. And Ruger has a rich history of SA type revolvers. S&W on the other hand is more innovative in their contruction for carry, vis-a-vis snubbies using titanium and aluminum in their frames. Both companies make fine firearms with physics the only dictate regarding muzzle velocity.

firestar
July 21, 2003, 01:42 AM
I have a Ruger Speed Six so I guess that is what why they called it that!:D

They also tend to lead faster IMHO. Maybe the bores are tighter or rougher. I don't know. Good question.

4v50 Gary
July 21, 2003, 01:52 AM
Firestar. :D

c_yeager
July 21, 2003, 02:27 AM
If they lead faster and shoot faster (than comparable barrel lenghts) it sounds like maybe the gap between the cylinder and barrel my be a little smaller than average on the smiths? Anyone ever done a comparison?

Rob96
July 21, 2003, 05:38 AM
I have read articles in the gun rags where the Rugers also shot faster speeds.

stans
July 21, 2003, 06:09 AM
Rugers do have a reputation for shooting most given loads at higher velocity. And yes, my GP-100 does lead with hard cast bullets driven at any velocity.

firestar
July 21, 2003, 07:51 PM
I think there may be something to this. If you come up with more chrono data please pass it along as I am now interested. Just from eyeing the cylinder gap on my Ruger and S&Ws, I don't see a difference but I need a gauge to tell for certain.

Blueduck
July 21, 2003, 08:28 PM
Might be on to somthing with the B/C gap firestar.

First I was thinking maybe the bbls were a bit tighter, but now that I think about it Rugers do tend to choke earlier than S/W's on our dirty qualifying ammo. Maybe they genereally have tighter b/c gaps???

Anybody got guages and nice selection of newer Rugers?

Rob96
July 22, 2003, 05:19 AM
I gauged the cylinder gap on my KGP-141 at .006".

tbeb
July 22, 2003, 06:11 AM
I don't know why but ammo fired from a Ruger revolver seems to be faster than ammo fired from another make of revolver. I've never chronographed any. I used to read many gun magazines and test articles always reinforced this.

Master Blaster
July 23, 2003, 03:25 PM
Speer reloading manual #13 has a section where they compare velocity on different models/ mfgrs and barrel lengths with the same load of .357 magnum ammo. The rugers seem to shoot 100 fps faster than the colts or smiths with the same load and barrel length.

Why dunno?????

The purpose is to show that pressure and velocity can varry by gun even with the same MFGR and model and barrel length, like two 4" model 19s that get different velocities. The rugers do seem to have more velocity.

JohnK
July 24, 2003, 03:48 PM
My Rugers seem to shoot faster than my Smiths as well. As an example with the original 357 load my 4" GP100 is only about 30 fps behind my 8 3/8" Smith. That's a whole lot of barrel for only 30 fps.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do Rugers tend to shoot faster???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!