Finally bought a 1911 today.

PDA

jon_in_wv
December 1, 2007, 10:17 PM
Years ago I had an AMT Hardballer and while not the cream of the crop it was really a nice shooter. Sadly I divorced the demon woman I was married to and sold all of my guns to buy food. Recently my new wife (bless her heart) has allowed me to rebuild a nice collection of guns. The one thing I have never had though was another 1911. In fact my only .45acp is a Firestar M45 I picked up a few weeks ago. I stopped by the pawnshop today and I noticed a lonely Colt Series 70 Combat Commander that has been in the case for some time. I decided to take a good look at it and it appeared very nice. It has a few scratches from use and a nice set of Ahrends grips with hex head grip screws. The gun was marked 699.99 but the guy working there usually cuts me a good deal. I asked him what he had to have for it and he told me 579.00. I put 200 down on it and I should be picking it up in a week or two when I pay off the rest of it. It think I got a good deal. I can't wait to pick it up and take it to the range.

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally bought a 1911 today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Geno
December 1, 2007, 10:19 PM
Congrats on the new wife! Oh yeah...congrats on the new pistol too. :D

Doc2005

gbran
December 1, 2007, 10:22 PM
Good on you.

I just got a new Series 80 a few months ago. You'll be happy.

jon_in_wv
December 1, 2007, 10:25 PM
The wife was new about 8 years ago. I think right now I'm more excited about the 45!!

Hunter0924
December 2, 2007, 12:56 AM
Looking forward to the pictures the Pre Series 80 Commander. Nice job on that pistol.

MarshallDodge
December 2, 2007, 01:00 AM
Congrats! I love the old Commanders.

10-Ring
December 2, 2007, 01:04 AM
Excellent! Colt Commanders are fantastic guns...you done good :D

jon_in_wv
January 10, 2008, 11:36 PM
Well my joy was short lived. Check my other thread to see how I shot my bed with my new .45. ha ha. Its embarrassing but I think there is a lesson to be learned in it. I think Bubba had this .45 before me. I'm waiting for some new parts to come in (firing pin lock parts, hammer, sear) before I take it to the range.

kamagong
January 11, 2008, 12:06 AM
Congrats!

jon_in_wv
January 11, 2008, 02:21 AM
on the 1911? Or the new bedsheets and comforter??

possum
January 11, 2008, 02:43 PM
great wife and nice gun, congrats. i remember an old harballer, the 1st 1911 i ever shot and shot alot. man that was the good ole days.

ugaarguy
January 11, 2008, 03:14 PM
I'm waiting for some new parts to come in (firing pin lock parts, hammer, sear) before I take it to the range.
You do realize that 70 series and earlier Colts had no firing pin block right?

jon_in_wv
January 11, 2008, 06:14 PM
Sorry, forgot to correct myself. It is a Mark IV Series 80 Combat Commander made in 1982. Good eye.

ugaarguy
January 11, 2008, 07:45 PM
Well a Colt Commander is still a Colt Commander. Even with a little work and some parts you won't be hurting on the total money you have in it. As Xavier says about S&W Revolvers "You can never pay too much for a Smith & Wesson, you can only pay it too soon." I'm seeing the same thing apply to Colts. Hold onto to it and it'll be worth more than what you have in it total in a couple years.

jon_in_wv
January 11, 2008, 11:38 PM
I agree. I'll have about 650 into it. I haven't seen too many around for that price that are in as nice shape as this one. I knew going into it there could be problems. Overall I'm happy with it though. I'll be even more happy when I can get to the range with it. The only thing I'm still leary of is the grip tape in the front strap. I hope the finish isn't damaged under there.

jon_in_wv
January 11, 2008, 11:43 PM
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=328654&highlight=santa

Here is a link to a pic of my gun.

jon_in_wv
January 11, 2008, 11:44 PM
[

double post

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally bought a 1911 today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!