High Pressure Ammo in Competition Pistols?

PDA

Puncha
December 2, 2007, 11:29 AM
For ISSF certified competition grade autoloading pistols like the Walther GSP,

http://www.carl-walther.info/dev2/index.php?company=walther&lang=EN&content=products&hid=1&uid=3&product=163

Hammerli SP20

http://www.carl-walther.info/dev2/index.php?company=walther&lang=EN&content=products&hid=3&uid=3&product=660

or the budget Erma Werke ESP 85 pistol,

would it be safe to fire high speed or even ultra velocity ammo like the CCI mini mag and CCI stinger in them? I know that these guns normally shoot standard velocity match ammo for the ISSF standard pistol 25 meter and rapid fire pistol events but will the aforementioned higher pressure ammo actually hurt these guns?

If you enjoyed reading about "High Pressure Ammo in Competition Pistols?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Haycreek
December 2, 2007, 08:06 PM
Stick with subsonic ammo, others are inviting a cracked frame.l

hksw
December 2, 2007, 09:35 PM
All the target pistols I have say to not use high velocity ammo. Personally, I would stick to what the manual says.

Puncha
December 3, 2007, 05:41 AM
.....on ammo types. I checked the downloadable official manuals for both the
Walther GSP and Hammerli SP20. The manuals are silent on ammunition type. Nothing...zip....nada is mentioned about recommended or advised against .22 ammo.

As for the Erma Werke ESP 85 which has been offerred to me REAL CHEAP, I can't seem to find a scanned manual on-line.

I have handled the aforementioned Walther and Erma Werke pieces and they seem like solid, well built handguns. Ate they really that fragile?

Does anyone here have any other opinions about firing high speed .22LR ammo in ISSF competition guns (those with the 5-rd mags and form fitting grips)? In my country, high speed small game .22 ammo is A LOT cheaper than match grade standard velocity rounds. If I practiced regularly with the latter, I'd go broke fast.

jeepmor
December 3, 2007, 06:57 AM
Could you put in a stiffer recoil spring to counter the higher pressure ammo? I can't read german, so I can't help by looking at your provided links, but I did try.

I concur that you don't want to crack a frame on a nice pistol like that though.

softmentor
December 3, 2007, 07:31 AM
just looking for cheap practice round? you do not want hi velocity. Practice with a round that is the same grain and velocity as the ammo you would shoot in a match. For accuracy, sub sonic (slower that 1000 fps or a LITTLE faster) rounds are better because they don't have to deal with the stresses of sonic shock wave. For cheap subsonic practice rounds, but still a good quality, I like CCI. The basic rounds from Winchester, Federal and others really are not bad.
The people who make ammo would love to have you think that there was a world of difference in the basic and match grade. Yes match is better but not THAT much better.
If you just want to blast and plink with hi velocity, buy a much less expensive gun that is designed for it.
and if you happen to find a sponsor that wants to provide all the Tenex ultimate EPS you can shoot, would you let me know?

If you enjoyed reading about "High Pressure Ammo in Competition Pistols?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!