ideas for .22 1911

PDA

mljdeckard
December 2, 2007, 04:36 PM
I currently have a Ciener Arms .22 kit I use on my Kimber Custom II frame. It's great, but I am thinking about building a dedicated .22 frame for it, kind of because as I keep track of rounds fired, I don't want to split them between .22 and .45. I also think it would be a fun project to build.

So, has anyone done this who would like to share specific or general advice about frames, springs, misc parts, etc? I'm thinking I will scrape together the parts over time and do it when I have them all, so I really plan to use the best parts that are appropriate. I plan on using this pistol for general outdoor recreation, I don't need it to be pretty.

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "ideas for .22 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Geno
December 2, 2007, 06:04 PM
I agree with your idea. I have this fantasy of locating a genuine Colt ACE .22LR, and buying it. They are all steel. :D

For my part, and in the meantime, my favorite is my Kimber Warrior receiver with my Kimber .22LR upper. My Warrior's trigger is so light, and so crisp that it just makes sense to use it with my .22LR upper. Just per chance, they are both Kimber.

Doc2005

JoeHatley
December 2, 2007, 08:15 PM
I also use the Ciener top end on this dedicated RMT alloy frame. Makes for a very accurate and fun shooter.

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hatley/ciener_l.jpg
http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hatley/ciener_r.jpg

I used a Videcki trigger and just about everthing else is Wilson. I think RMT (Ranger Machine & Tool) is out of business. Today, I'd probably buy an Essex frame for a project gun.

Good Luck...

Joe

Rangegod
December 3, 2007, 09:23 AM
Been there, done that...

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=29082&stc=1

Definitely the most expensive 22 (handgun) I own.

JAC

mnw42
December 3, 2007, 09:52 AM
I don't think that I will be building a dedicated .22lr 1911, but I would be interesting to know what people's experiences have been with the various .22 kits.

jmorris
December 3, 2007, 10:11 AM
I wanted one for cheaper practice a few years ago and I found this colt ace conversion for $350. Itís all steel, so it goes to slide lock just like its big brother, and with the floating chamber it recoils like a 9mm 1911. A far cry from a 45 but closer than the other 22 conversions I have and/or shot. If I were to build a dedicated lower for this conversion it would be on an STI double stack frame, as thatís what I shoot most often (and the only 1911 I have that the Ace will fit on is a Colt gold cup frame). If you just want an inexpensive platform to set it on you might take a look at http://www.essexarms.com/.

zeroskillz
December 3, 2007, 12:32 PM
I have a better idea. Buy a Sig 220.
.22 conversion kits are coming out this year for all of Sigs Classic line guns.
-Ted

mljdeckard
December 4, 2007, 04:21 PM
Why is that a better idea?

mljdeckard
December 6, 2007, 12:27 AM
Also, because you guys have been trying this for a while, (and also because I want an excuse to bump,) I asked this before, but I probably need to be more direct.

Has anyone ever had actual damage occur from using hot ammo (stingers, velocitors,) on one of these kits? I asked before if it was bad, and I got a little bit of "Don't worry about it." With the lighter aluminum slide, am I asking for trouble cranking out thousands of hot loads?

robctwo
December 6, 2007, 12:56 AM
I didn't like the trigger on a SA Black Stainless I bought last year. I had no experience with 1911s. I read a lot of the stuff on the gun smithing page here. Went with Ed Brown parts, including all ignition and a new main spring housing assembly. Things went pretty smooth. I've been thinking about doing what you are thinking about, but the SA works great with my Ciener and I have a couple other 1911s now that I shoot more than the SA.

If you enjoyed reading about "ideas for .22 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!